Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

On the TT....:tiphat:

[​IMG]

2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I suggest donating them to a library sale or a charity store. Don't throw them out. Someone will want them

Byrdsmaniac likes this.
  3. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Their dynamic speakers; not the big electrostatics you like had (and they are well known for). They impressed me in a demonstration and suited my needs for movie soundtracks, but they don't have the accuracy and clarity of the KEFs for critical music listening (IMO).

4. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Beautifully played and recorded (not bad for digital audio!). ;)

[​IMG]

crispi, Six String, Marzz and 8 others like this.
  5. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I don't recall the exact titles; it was many years ago and I just packed them off to the side.
    I'm pretty busy, too, with the holidays coming up. You can PM me in January and we'll work out the details.

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  6. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I won't argue with that. ;)

Bachtoven likes this.
  7. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

It might be cheaper to rent a mailbox over the border in Montana and have the LPs sent media mail, which is quite reasonable even for heavy packages. Not sure if it's possible, but such as it is.

By the way, any good places to buy classical CDs in Calgary? Vaguely considering visiting a friend there in June/July.

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  8. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Now playing yet another Schubert "Trout" recording, this one featuring Rudolf Serkin.
    This originated as a live recording of a concert given at the Marlboro Music Festival on July 30, 1967. Originally issued on Columbia Masterworks in 1968; however, this is a CBS-France pressing/release from 1979.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Byrdsmaniac

Byrdsmaniac Forum Resident

There’s a light dusting of snow outside today, but I’m stuck indoors with a cold. Among other things, I’ve been listening to this recording by George Szell and Raphael Druian, exemplary playing of some exquisite music.

I had to get it on a used LP, since the only CD version I could find is in the enormous boxed set which I have no need for because I already have so much of what’s in it.

[​IMG]

10. DeepFloyd11

Thanks for the tip! I might consider that.
    Well there is Recordland that has a fairly good collection - but they are not cheap - even though they sometimes make better deals if you buy a bunch. The daily deal is 3 for $ 25 CAD. There are a few community center sales but not much classical there.

You should definitely visit Calgary in the summer. It's a nice city with the amazing Banff National Park only 1 hour 15 min drive from here. This wonder of nature should be on anyone's bucket-list. If you come early July, there is the Calgary Stampede.
    Here's something that will convince you.

Calgary Stampede | The Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth Dates

ubertrout, bluemooze and Byrdsmaniac like this.
  11. DeepFloyd11

Of course. No rush. Any special plans for Christmas and New Year? Here only work work work....We will be back from our trip December 9.
    I will definitely say hi to everyone here from one of my destinations, bringing my tablet so I can Spotify my classical on there at least....:wave:

Wes H, ibanez_ax and Eigenvector like this.
  12. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

I have the vinyl version with Ashkenazy's face on the cover with the red label. Great playing, Ashkenazy's version were the first I heard of Scriabin. Nice to see new players like Daniil Trifonov taking on Scriabin also. Check him out if you haven't yet.

13. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

I love her Schubert sonatas set.

Bachtoven likes this.
  14. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

We're in the planning phase of our vacation for next Summer. If all goes to plan, we will be in Banff and Calgary next June! :pineapple:

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  15. Eigenvector

Working my way through these Dorati Haydn sets. These are probably my favorite performances of these symphonies. They are at least the ones I reach for most often when I'm in the mood for a Haydn Symphony! :)

[​IMG]

peter1, crispi, Marzz and 7 others like this.
  16. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the Decca Sound-The Analogue Years box.

[​IMG]

17. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I have 94, 100 and 104 on this CD from the Decca box. Great playing.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Marzz, ShallowMemory, Mowgli and 4 others like this.
  18. DeepFloyd11

That's so cool!! Let me know when and where! :righton::righton::wave::wave::cool::cool:

19. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

The audio on the second LP (Sonata No.14 and 23) is not nearly as good as the first--quite a bit more distantly mic'd, especially No.14. The performances on the 3 LPs were recorded at six different venues over a 10 year period, so some variation in sound is to be expected. Still, his playing is magnificent.

[​IMG]

ShallowMemory, Wes H, Mowgli and 3 others like this.
  20. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now on the turntable, "Girolamo Frescobaldi - Oeuvres pour clavecin" performed by Emer Buckley on Harmonia Mundi France.

[​IMG]

Marzz, monotubevibe and Wes H like this.
  21. DeepFloyd11

If you're still planning....you must rent a vehicle (if you're not driving all the way from home)....and then visit Banff and Jasper (both are connected by the Columbia Icefields Parkway). Here's a little snippet someone took....it's one of the most scenic roads in the world.

22. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Wes H and Bachtoven like this.
  23. Eigenvector

Thanks! I'm excited for this trip! The plan so far is to take the Rocky Mountaineer train from Vancouver to Banff then spend a couple of days in the Banff and Calgary area before flying back from Calgary.

This trip has taken decades to come to fruition. I won't bore you with the long backstory but basically, my wife and I are taking this trip with my father. He has talked about doing this for decades but my mother was in poor health for the last 20 or so years of her life and was unable to travel anywhere further than a car ride away. She passed away a couple of years ago and my father is still in relatively good health so we decided to take him on this trip while we still can.

We're still in the planning stages so we don't have a firm date yet but it will hopefully be next Summer. Maybe June. I'm excited as I've never been any further West in Canada than Ontario so it will all be new to me.

Your video looks amazing! That drive is on our list of things to do while we are there!

ubertrout, julesd68, Mowgli and 2 others like this.
  24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'm still on the fence about the André Cluytens box with his complete orchestral and concerto recordings; it has some great stuff, some of which I already have on CD, but also some playing, both orchestral and solo, that sounds pretty sloppy - to my ears quite a few French orchestras were pretty mediocre.

[​IMG]

25. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

well you have to playlist some Barbara Pentland up there - Canada's greatest composer!

Eigenvector likes this.