KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

It could have been a contender! Stella!

SammyJoe and npgchris like this.
  2. William Smart

I like the Wicked Lester version of She. Reminds me of...... Tull!

3. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

It only took nine months. Any other thread you do will probably feel like it flew by. Roth Van Halen will be about 60 songs? Two months? That's nothing. Will barely even notice any burnout...unless you go past that. Thank you Jason!

4. Lonesurf

Lonesurf Forum Resident

Thanks Jason (& all of you guys).

This thread has continually been great, with contributions from so many knowledgeable participants.
    Plus ... it's been a really fun read.

I woke up to "All Hell's Breaking Loose" this morning. I'm now a KISS fan because of you guys and this thread.

5. William Smart

First version was at least tolerable. Maybe because of the Dr. Love connection. That however was hard to bare. That goes beyond bad into a whole 'nother realm akin to cruel and unusual punishment. Should come with a warning "listening to this may cause you to jam railroad spikes through your ears". Sent a shiver down my spine.

6. William Smart

Jason, thank you sincerely! This has been a great time. The best th;):Dread I've ever seen as far as participants, knowledge, entertainment, the respect shown here to one another sets the standard for what a thread should be like.
    To My brothers You FN Rock! :cheers:
    To the best thread, best participants, best OP! Cheers!

PS @GodShifter I hope you noticed! I haven't changed my Avatar in months:D

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  7. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

And for a mere 2,000 bucks you can get 149 more just like it. Plus an action figure.

8. William Smart

I'd like to tell Gene exactly where he can put all 150 of them plus the action figure!
    SIDEWAYS! :D

SizzleVonSizzleton likes this.
  9. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

It's funny, but the rather poor nature of the 2nd version of "Bad, Bad Lovin" that you posted had me thinking something similar. That is, how many of these 150 or so demos will be of this caliber? The handful that I've heard snippets of sound pretty good, but it's also understandable that they're going to pick the best moments of the best songs to spotlight, to entice the potential buyer.

Reading some accounts of the just-completed KISS Kruise at KissFAQ last night, it appears that the Simmons Vault is now going to contain 11 CD's, so it seems quite possible that the final song count will go beyond 150. I actually think what Gene is doing with this is very cool; it's just a shame that it's got such an aura of being a shameless cash grab about it. I do believe that a part of him is doing something out of the ordinary as a show of gratitude to the fans, but at the price he's asking for it, it's just beyond the means of tons of fans who would otherwise like to get it. But I do think that the opportunity to speak to him for 5-10 minutes, take some pics with him, have him answer any questions you've wanted to ask him, and get him to sign stuff, is all pretty cool.

Speaking for myself, I have no desire to try and find a spot for a 30-lb. safe, nor any desire to own a Gene medallion or action figure. And autographs don't really mean all that much to me. But I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't like to own a set of those CD's, and the chance to interact with him for a few minutes is pretty cool. The bottom line for me is, having it cost 2 grand, and having to drive to L.A. (about a six- to seven-hour drive for me), means it doesn't even enter into the realm of being considered. (Actually, having to drive to L.A. wouldn't dissuade me, I guess, since I've done that drive countless times, and I could do other things in the same trip. It's just the 2 grand!) And I honestly don't know what kind of a price tag such an "experience" should even have placed on it. I do think it's cool that he's doing this (leaving aside the price tag for a moment), and don't be surprised if other artists end up doing something similar down the road, as a way to "touch" the fans, and more importantly, as a way to pocket a large wad of cash in exchange for providing your diehard fans a unique experience. It wouldn't have to be a music boxed set; it could be a book, or an interactive movie, or some other project. But I could see this type of experience catching on with other artists, looking to market their product to the well-heeled consumer, in a very challenging retail marketplace.

Thanks for posting that YouTube clip, by the way. If I had ever heard that version before, I don't remember it. It's funny, I've got countless hours of KISS outtakes and demos that I downloaded years ago, that I've never listened to! I'll have to dig that stuff out (i.e., unzip the tons of files I have) and listen to it sometime. Anyway, hearing the dubious quality of this demo certainly dampens one's enthusiasm to listen to hundreds more of them! :laugh:

10. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

The guitar fill at the intro sounds better than Gene. Wonder who it was really? Ditto the lead. So many ideas were in tact here. Cool! I know what you mean about the guitar tone, but I still prefer RARO. The lead guitar falls apart near the end 2:25 or so to end and becomes too much and boring.

11. dadonred

And the cowbell, amIRight?

npgchris likes this.
  12. dadonred

That's horrible. Reminds me a little of Naked City.
    Bad Bad Recording... (the verb, not the noun)

SizzleVonSizzleton likes this.
  13. William Smart

Parasite : love love love this song. The intro reminds me a little of Watcher Of The Skies. Like a frantic S O S. I love Genes bass on this too, sounds like he's channeling his inner funk brotherness. Peter seems to be so in groove with Gene, One of Peter's best performances. The real killer is Ace's solo. Sounds like more than one guitar, maybe it's delayed a fraction? This may have been a better opener. Great song by all means and was killer live.

SizzleVonSizzleton and npgchris like this.
  14. dadonred

"Love is Blind" kind of reminds me of a little later than early Stones tune, the verse anyway.

The chorus sounds very George Harrison-y. (Not the harmony but the lead vox.)

William Smart and npgchris like this.
  15. dadonred

Before we break, what is your single favorite Ace moment?

William Smart likes this.
  16. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

On record? Live? Or do you just mean overall?

dadonred and William Smart like this.
  17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Like many KISS fans, Ace was, easily, my favorite member of the band as a kid. My favorite Ace moment in the music is his solo for “Shock Me”. It blew me away as a young fan. Otherwise, it would be the Tom Snyder interview where he’s obviously blasted and the look on Gene’s face is priceless.

18. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Tom Snyder: "How did you come up with these outfits, and what do they represent?"

Ace: "Actually, I think this outfit is pretty self-explanatory!"

Snyder: "You're some kind of Spaceman?"

Ace: "No, actually, I'm a plumber!" (laughs hysterically)

Snyder: "Well, in that case, I've got a piece of pipe backstage I'd like you to work on"

Ace: "Tell me about it!" (really laughs hysterically!)

Absolutely friggin' classic! :biglaugh:

19. William Smart

My favorite Ace moment was watching him watch two guys fighting on the ramp at Springfield. You would have thought he had money on the outcome. If I ever get the chance I have to ask if he remembers that. I also loved him on the Tom Snyder interview. He was ripped and was hysterical. Performance wise? I loved every show I seen him perform. Good, Bad or Ugly he was always great! Pax

20. dadonred

There are so many! For me, I will narrow down from:
    • DRC
    • KOTNW
    • SIOL
    • Take Me
    • Love 'em Leave 'em
    DRC was what brought me to KISS. It's a famous harmony part that is Ace's "Hotel California" (ha, you know who I'm talking to!")
    But KOTNW is so wonderful, how he enters and how he leaves is so precise and recognizable.
    Frankly, ditto SIOL. They could be twins.

On "Take Me", I love the movement in the solo, a song within a song that complements the song so well.

"love 'em, leave 'em" for me, his work in this one best exemplifies the Space Ace. It has so many elements in it: the chicken pick, the spacey sounds, the lateral movement and even the toggle switch flipper. I'm going to give it to this one: for me, the best Ace moment that excites, compels, intrigues, and finishes so well.

Thank you, Spaceman for so many good years of enjoyment and inspiration for me to play guitar! We salute you!

21. dadonred

Any way you'd like to define. We are all friends here. But for me, I was thinking on record.

William Smart and npgchris like this.
  22. The first thought that popped into my mind is the solo in Strange Ways and that toggle switch moment in the Save Your Love solo. So awesome

23. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Oh my, that's a difficult question.

I could go with at least these, depending on the day:

1. Solo in 100,000 Years

2. Rocket Ride solo

3. Fractured Mirror

4. Love 'Em And Leave 'Em Solo

5. Just the way he sounds on the Alive! version of Parasite

6. Alive! version of Let Me Go Rock N' Roll

7. And of course, almost anything out of his mouth during the Tom Snyder interview - God rest that wonderful man's soul

Had to make it a lucky seven for the Ace.

24. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Apologies if this got posted sometime in the past, but did anybody ever throw this in for a laugh?

In its own bizarre way, this takes a lot of skill!

25. dadonred

I love the solo in 100,000 Years!