Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. bigstar87

bigstar87 Forum Resident

From the Philips Original Jackets Collection:
    [​IMG]
    Great sound, though I still prefer the Jochum on DG performance

2. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

First listen to CD 1 from "Giuseppe Tartini - Complete Violin Concertos" performed by L'Arte Dell'Arco on Dynamic.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tomymontana, Marzz, Mowgli and 3 others like this.
  3. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

It's amazing to make dreams come true. I am very sorry yourMama had to endure physical illness and couldn't travel. But I am sure you are taking her places in your heart, as does your Dad.
    I hope your trip to Canada will be wonderful. Plan for end of June.....weather in the mountains can be rather unpredictable and the 'snowflake in June' is not just a lovely lyrics in a beautiful song.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Eigenvector likes this.
  4. DeepFloyd11

On the TT....:tiphat:

[​IMG]

Marzz, ShallowMemory and bluemooze like this.
  5. JazzFanatic

JazzFanatic Jazz Man In Orbit

I have seven sets of complete Beethoven Sonatas by different artists but
    IMO, Annie Fischer is the finest interpreter of this amazing music. Playing disc 8 of 9
    which has, no. 5, 21 (Waldstein) and 4. According to the notes, it took her fifteen years
    to do all 32 sonatas to her satisfaction, and this was released after her death in 1995.
    [​IMG]

Eigenvector, Marzz, Mowgli and 2 others like this.
  6. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

My box has a different cover ...

[​IMG]

JazzFanatic, Mowgli and bluemooze like this.
  7. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Annie Fischer is my reference for the Beethoven sonatas as well when looking at whole cycles (I have my own preferences once you start look at individual pieces), my only complaint is some of the edits aren't completely seamless but these are seldom. And playing on a Bosendorfer! Uncommon choice, but works extremely well.

JazzFanatic and bluemooze like this.
  8. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

What a great set! I played #43 & #44 yesterday.
    I bought the whole LP set in like new condition about 10 years ago.

Was/am playing from the Liszt: Master & Magician masterworks collection (on a Haydn LP box)
    [​IMG]

Eigenvector, Wes H and bluemooze like this.
  9. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Excellent choice. I have the complete set and there are no disappointments in there. I believe Dorati was the 2nd conductor to complete the Haydn symphony cycle on record--after Ernest Maerzendorfer's set for Musical Heritage Society.

crispi, Eigenvector and Mowgli like this.
  10. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

That looks like the cover from the UK-issued set (on LP).

11. Mowgli

Albums & magazines also make great wall art.
    I'm a bit...unconventional about art but albums are cheaper to nail to a wall than ipads.
    In the shop (that's not a true butcher cover, that was an insert in a hits album)
    [​IMG]
    I'm not an TAS fan so I drilled a hole, nailed it to the wall and set it on fire.
    Did I mention that I'm not a fan?
    [​IMG]
    The art in the house is more conventional :)

12. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Hope your cold is better soon.

I was considering something to play tonight... That looks like a good choice. Mine is a former Radio Station copy, but plays cleanly.

[​IMG]

I also have the complete set of fifteen--with Szell performing on two of them--issued on the Vanguard label in two volumes (3-lps each). Bought these in 1972 in NYC. They are fine, but I prefer the Columbia recordings.

[​IMG]

13. monotubevibe

monotubevibe Forum Resident

I love these. His #25 is one of my favorite of all time. This was the only set I had for close to 2 decades and it really shaped my mind as to how Mozart can sound. Recently I've added both the Maria João Pires and the Mitsuko Uchida (with the English Chamber Ensemble) CD box sets to my collection and like all 3 very much. Her more recent recordings with Cleveland I couldn't get into, and I also owned a Alfred Brendle set that I couldn't listen to at all, one of the only classical sets I've ever sold.

14. Mowgli

Snow already? Ouch. I think I visited Coburn bridge & Martin bridge in Plainfield.
    It's Northfield that has 5 almost identical bridges IIRC.
    2 within sight of each other and another a mile up the road.
    That area's wild & beautiful.
    I visited about 125 wooden covered bridges in New England in 2010-2012
    [​IMG]

Now playing CD5 of that Liszt box for some on topic content.

Did this thing ever get finished? Have you seen it on the road? This was in 2012 I think.
    It was on my way south from Northfield....and LOL
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  15. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I was immensely enjoying Op.111 when I heard a loud tick every revolution in the slow movement and discovered a giant scratch! This is the second brand new LP to be so afflicted. How does this happen? Now, I have to return it.

[​IMG]

16. bluemooze

The record manufacturers are doing themselves a great disservice with the lax quality control. I'm as big a vinyl guy as any but I'm currently gun shy about paying top dollar for new vinyl when I'm not certain to be getting top quality in return. :thumbsdow

17. Mowgli

Synchronicity. I binge-watched 8/10 episodes of Tin Star on Amazon Prime last night.
    It's filmed in High River AB, about 190 km from Banff. What a beautiful place.
    Where is Tin Star filmed? ~ Filming Locations

18. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

hmmm - Mr Kissin is making a rare appearance in the UK next year. I really should try and get to his concert at the London Barbican to see how he gets on with the Rach Preludes ...

There aren't so many seats left but ticket prices ain't cheap - the starting price is triple what it normally is!

Bachtoven and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  19. JazzFanatic

JazzFanatic Jazz Man In Orbit

Cool...I like this cover better. Must be an earlier edition. Nice!

20. Byrdsmaniac

Byrdsmaniac Forum Resident

I live about two miles from Coburn Bridge. I walk and bike over it all the time. Northfield does have five bridges. I haven't seen that car, but I have seen plenty of other 'mudders.' More than 40% of Vermont roads are unpaved and we can get some serious mud in the early spring. Vehicles like this are meant for off road use where they sometimes make a mess of perfectly good trails during mud season.

Mowgli likes this.
  21. Byrdsmaniac

Byrdsmaniac Forum Resident

Also not a fan.

Mowgli likes this.
  22. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the first Living Presence box. Even though I'm getting older, and my musical tastes have changed a bit, sometimes I just want to hear some guitar. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

McLover, ToddBD, vanhooserd and 6 others like this.
  23. bluemooze

:eek:

24. DeepFloyd11

I would have bought it for sure, since Brendel is one of my fave Mozart interpreters. To me his interpretations are outstanding, definitely worth owning. Uchida I wouldn't listen to --so many far superior recordings.

On the TT....:love:

[​IMG]

crispi, bigstar87, Mowgli and 5 others like this.
  25. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Although I tend to prefer Brendel for Schubert and Beethoven, I do like his Mozart interpretations as well! :)

DeepFloyd11 likes this.