New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I'm very interested in learning more about this character, Commander Airiam. She's an augmented human. So far, she's been relegated to the background with the occasional close up shot. Hopefully, they'll dive into her character as the show rolls on.

[​IMG]

2. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

The Orville got so much better after the first 3 episodes. You should really check it out again.

Higlander and Encuentro like this.
  3. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I watched episode 7, the one that seemed to borrow heavily from Black Mirror. So I watched the pilot, stopped for awhile, as the pilot didn’t jumped out at me, and watched episode 7. I don’t hate the show. However, I’m not a huge fan of McFarlane’s humor. I’ve never seen an entire episode of Family Guy, but I’ve seen parts of it here and there, and it’s just not my cup of tea. Maybe when the first season is completed, I’ll give The Orville a fair shake. I concede that it’s not fair to assess a show based on two episodes.

4. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I've caught maybe 30 minutes of The Orville, and I'm not seeing the point. It's sorta a takeoff on TNG, but I'd rather just watch a rerun of TNG. I think they're aiming for Galaxy Quest but lack both the cast and the writers to pull that off.

DreadPikathulhu and Encuentro like this.
  5. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

The producers said on one of the After Treks that they intend to do so.

Encuentro likes this.
  6. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Den Of Geek review. Spoilers, obviously.

Star Trek: Discovery episode 9 review: Into The Forest I Go

"TNG took three seasons to put my heart in my throat during an action sequence. Disco has done it after fewer than ten episodes."

"... the title of this episode – Into The Forest I Go - is a quote by John Muir, an American naturalist of the 19th Century. The full quote is “into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.” It is, of course, a quote about the wonder of exploration and discovery, and I can think of few better ideas that embody the spirit of Star Trek."

budwhite, Edgard Varese and Encuentro like this.
  7. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Awesome! Thanks!

Meng likes this.
  8. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I was hooked the first time they used the transporter.

Encuentro likes this.
  9. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

That's the problem. Watch episode 3-6 then come back and tell us how you feel. We have three die hard Star Trek fans in our household aged 17, 45, and 53. Each one of us thinks that Orville is the best show on network television and we look forward to it more than any other show. We agree on very little, but we all agree that Orville rocks! Even the non Star Trek fan women in our lives enjoy the show each week. It's the only show on television that we all watch.

Higlander and Steve Martin like this.
  10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I didn't see anything in the 30 minutes that would make me want to stick around for a full hour. Maybe when I'm really bored.

11. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

Only now did I clue in to the inspiration behind the character Lieutenant Paul Stamets, the chief engineer on Discovery. It's the mycologist Paul Stamets - Wikipedia

That's geeky cool.

Edgard Varese likes this.
  12. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I really really enjoy it. This and Mindhunters are my top picks for TV this year.

I did laugh out loud at the "sneaky sensors" that lit up like noisy Xmas trees. Oh how covert!

They didn't even bring a coat to put over them.:D

BeatleJWOL and Encuentro like this.
  13. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I'm interesting in learning more about all of the regular bridge crew. There's another "augmented" woman who has that thingie attached to the side of her head, for example.

Encuentro likes this.
  14. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Yes. The sensors: 1) Light up whatever room they are in like a nightclub, 2) Make lots of loud beeping and trilling noises, and 3) Have an on-board Alexa interface that announces - loudly - every detail of each and every process being executed.

Great tools to take with you on a covert op.

BeatleJWOL and daglesj like this.
  15. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Lorca rocks.
    "Understood!?"

Meng and Encuentro like this.
  16. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Decided to watch the trailers and am disappointed. Looks like another JJ Abrams type of flashy production.

Really dislike the actor playing Sarek who's not suited for that role. Not the right voice. I also dislike the choice of somebody with a major accent as one of the main characters in Michelle Yaoh (sp?).

Think I'll stick to TNG.

17. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Michelle Yeoh’s character is dead and TNG is a thirty year old show that looks horribly dated today.

sunspot42 and Encuentro like this.
  18. Strat-Mangler

I'd easily take Patrick Stewart's or Brent Spiner's acting over anything presented in the trailer.

As far as the look is concerned, it's just how it was made back then. I'm OK with it, just like I'm OK with how movies of yesteryear look too. And how music from decades ago sounds. Etc.

budwhite likes this.
  19. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I'm just surprised you're basing your opinion of the show on what was in the trailer. The first two episodes were among the most disappointing and later ones are often very TNG-like in their scripting.

Strat-Mangler and Encuentro like this.
  20. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Yeah, the first two episodes were like a prologue. Episode 3 was the true pilot.

21. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I urge respectfully that you DO NOT watch STAR TREK DISCOVERY. You seem like the type that will dislike it and will simply clog up these threads with your negativity.

Olompali, Edgard Varese and sunspot42 like this.
  22. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

That was what hooked me. The move from the mini movie to the actual Discovery storyline. Nice advancement.

Encuentro likes this.
  23. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

I don't know which trailer you saw, but I have two words for you:

Jason. Isaacs.

sunspot42 and Encuentro like this.
  24. Strat-Mangler

I made observations based on my own tastes. If you're too sensitive to read opinions which differ from yours, I'd suggest disconnecting from the internet.

budwhite likes this.
  25. Strat-Mangler

Isn't he the actor portraying a young Sarek?