Was Oasis the biggest band in the world?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WildHoneyPie9, Jul 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

They were boring to me and I didn't know until recently that people thought they sounded like The Beatles, not even close. How did that silly rumor ever get started?

Saint Johnny likes this.
  2. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Noel: ''We would've been the biggest band in the world had Liam not been it it.''
    Liam: '''We would've been the biggest band in the world had Noel not been it it.''

Giacomo Belbo and Saint Johnny like this.
  3. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Bravo, Bravo! Preach, brother.:righton::wave:

4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

"Sorry, I'm on a music forum, asking for the "biggest hit" of a band, in a thread called "biggest-band-in-the-world" - and instead of an answer, I'm told to search Google for it? Thanks.
    Hope that doesn't say something about "Oasis" fans - no longer interested really... :shake:

5. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Except around the time of Don't Believe the Truth, they actually started selling more records and playing to larger audiences outside the US, so no. At the time they broke up, their fortunes were on the rise – had they stayed together they may have actually made good on all the hype from the '90s.

6. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

I bow to your great wisdom, Oasis was the last Rock N' Roll band the world ever knew. When Oasis came and went so did Rock. Dear lord.

I bow to your great wisdom, if Oasis reunited it would be the second coming of the Beatles. Truly the Beatles re-incarnate. Dear lord.

Forget Sean Spicer and Donald Trump, the real fake news are in delusions of Oasis fans. I have truly never read more ridiculousness than in this thread. You truly live in an Oasis bubble, I pity you all, how sad it must be to believe in something that simply isn't true. You are like the flat-earthers, we are laughing at you not with you.

Keep them coming in, I need the comedy relief.

seventeen, WilliamWes and KDubATX like this.
  7. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

Only biggest rock band in the world in the 1990's. Quite easy to miss.

NunoBento and Saint Johnny like this.
  8. Chris Schoen

I know who the Beatles are! :agree::laugh:

9. Chris Schoen

I did miss them! :shrug: Maybe not big in San Francisco then?

KDubATX and enfield like this.
  10. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

Except the USA, South America and Asia (middling markets).

Biggest in Manchester though, that does equal biggest in the world, sure ;)

11. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

No just hard facts..The biggest Album and Single sales in the world for a rock band between 1994 -1997.

12. Chris Schoen

Ya, I don't think I turned on a radio during that time. That must be it.

enfield likes this.
  13. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Stopped liking music after the 70's. Refuse to do a Google search.
    But you are not averse to the modern phenomena of trolling on the internet.
    Maybe you are not as old fashioned and olde worlde as you would like to think you are?

14. Wonderwall was probably their biggest hit in the United States.

Can we make this the biggest thread on the forum for the world's biggest band?!

enfield likes this.
  15. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident

It’s funny how this thread makes Oasis fans angry that people are discrediting their success.
    But it also makes non-Oasis fans angry that this thread title insinuates the worldwide impact of Oasis.

At this rate the anger will never cease fire from either side :wantsome:

Jarleboy and WilliamWes like this.
  16. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

Oasis were about as successful as the Cranberries in the 90s, that's the class of company this band keeps.

The Cranberries Zombie clip, by-the-way, has 600 million views, for your information ;)
    Oasis Wonderwall, far behind, is in the 200 million range :)

Oh dear.

Oasis never made it to the top tier, the rarified air where: U2, Bon Jovi, AC-DC, Queen, The Police etc reside.

At no point in the entire existence of Oasis were they ever the biggest band in the world.

WilliamWes likes this.
  17. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

They both appeared in Rock in Rio 2001.

Chilis were given a top-billing headline slot.
    Oasis were just a lead-in act for Guns N' Roses.

I doubt an act claiming to be the 2nd coming would open for anyone.

Chilis have been more successful, in more markets, for a longer time. If Oasis peaked higher, it was for so short a time as to be meaningless.

WilliamWes likes this.
  18. password196

password196 Forum Resident

Oasis is the "soccer" of bands. Meh.

Crimson jon likes this.
  19. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

Soccer is huge around the world. Not a good analogy.

Oasis are the rugby of bands. Big only in certain markets.

Jarleboy likes this.
  20. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

The Cranberries??? Are you serious..Their total sales are not even a tenth of Oasis's..They were basically a one song wonder.Oasis had two of the biggest albums of all time and hit after hit.

Regarding U2, Bon Jovi, AC-DC, Queen, The Police..The fact remains that Oasis wiped the floor with them all (and every other rock band) between 1994 and the end of that decade in album and singles sales..So in that period Oasis were the biggest band in the world.That is different to whether you feel they compare with the bands you mentioned over the long term.

21. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

Maybe the Chilli's were bigger in Brazil than Oasis?..If the concert was in the UK the headline and support status's would have been reversed.

In Oasis's 'meaningless' short lifespan they sold 70 million units..It has taken the Chilli's nearly 35 years to notch up only slightly more in 80 million units.

As Neil young once sang 'It's better to burn out Than to fade away'

22. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Forum Resident

Cranberries :laughup:

password196 and enfield like this.
  23. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

[​IMG]

That one-hit wonder with zero cultural impact you mention as a laugh has got 144,000,000 listens for 'Zombie' on Spotify. 'Wonderwall' has got 361,000,000 listens. And Oasis is only available since 2014, and at that point only in Europe, and since still has albums disappearing in different regions every now and then.

Oasis got 9,806,613 monthly listeners worldwide. Liam Gallagher solo, first album released last month, already at 2,260,000 monthly listeners... And btw, U2 got 9,259,305 monthly listeners, Bon Jovi 8,152,763, The Police 7,166,144 monthly listeners... And this is 20 years after Oasis was the biggest band in the world. Oh dear indeed.

24. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

This thread title has intrigued me for a while. I would certainly say they were the biggest thing for a few years in the UK. The first 2 albums are great and the third was ok. Never took much notice of them after that and they seemed to slowly fade from the press. If/when they reform it will be a circus and a hot ticket.

25. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

It's absolutely not surprising to me that the Chilis had higher billing at a 2001 show than Oasis, as Oasis was clearly past their peak by then and the Chilis were not. As i agreed in the earlier post, the Chilis clearly had a longer time as a huge band globally, probably 3x longer.

As for the bolded part, I guess it just depends on what people find meaningful. I would say that Oasis were at a peak of popularity that exceeded the Chilis peak for maybe two years. Is that meaningless? I don't know. I do know that a whole lot of people - including other musicians like Lars Ulrich and Billy Corgan, remember how big Oasis was circa 1996, and remained impressed by it many years later.
    They were really huge at that time and it made an impression on a lot of people.

Jarleboy and clarkydaz like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.