Metallica - Master Of Puppets 2017 Remastered Deluxe edition announced*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nodeerforamonth, Aug 29, 2017.

1. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

No, not yet. LevykauppaÄx will get them on the 17th. They informed me last Thursday that the box had been delayed for manufacturing delays. I hope they get them by Friday. :)

I have been listening to the set on Tidal. Really love the rough mixes and riff tapes etc. The remaster sounds good too. :edthumbs:

SammyJoe likes this.
  2. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Im not gonna go to too deep into details here, but I actually changed my preorder from AmazonIT to Levykauppa Äx for certain aggravating reasons and issues.
    Never had to do such thing with Amazon's but I was letdown in an issue which made me order some of these new releases from other stores.
    I got the same email last thursday and now about 1 hour ago I got email that my boxset has been dispatched from them.

sassi likes this.
  3. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Ok that’s interesting thanks. Where did you buy it from, a Euro or US retailer?

4. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

I disagree, I think Greg Fidelman did a fantastic job with HTSD and also with the Live at Webster Hall album.

5. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Today I listened to the old original mastering of MASTER OF PUPPETS on my early ELEKTRA CD...I never want to listen to any other version on CD...and for vinyl, nothing beats the 1986 ROADRUNNER pressing, made in Holland.

Jam757, Vinyl Fan 1973 and Opeth like this.
  6. HankM

HankM Senior Member

Received my box set from Soundstage Direct yesterday. Went to clean the remastered LP, as soon as I put it down on my VPI RCM I noticed a smudge going half way around the lead in groove, to my surprise I than seen a rough, jagged section of the vinyl. Of course I have to send the whole box back to Soundstage Direct, was hoping they could just send me the single vinyl release. I did rip all the cd's in ALAC except the interviews as of now but I can still listen to the live shows.

7. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

That same mastering (Marino at Sterling) was also done as a 45 RPM by Roadrunner/MFN and is a nice step up from the 33 RPM. As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, this album should be a 2xLP due to the running length. It breathes even better on the 45 RPM or 2x33 LP 2004 Rhino reissue.

Jam757 and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  8. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I got mine from a US retailer, and it's the same thing in the runoff.

9. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Yes as expected. I got mine from Metallica HQ and mine also says P.USA (Pallas USA). The question in my mind is, are all pressings globally pressed at P.USA? Our German friend @luxen said his was pressed at P.USA, hence me wondering where he bought it. I was considering ordering one from Amazon UK, as these are usually pressed in EU somewhere, but perhaps in this case these would also be pressed at P.USA.

I've got two copies coming from Amazon US tomorrow, which will presumably also be P.USA. Hopefully will be better than the one I got in the box set, which has a lot of surface noise and jumps in the first track on both sides with volume up relatively high.

10. sathvyre

There is nothing wrong with the 1986 dutch pressing. I love it !!!

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  11. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

If I actually even play the LP from the box set, I'll let you know if there's problems like that. That and the cd of the album was the least interesting thing to me, though, truth be told.

12. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Still trying to track down that Roadrunner.

13. sathvyre

It is worth the hunt !!! Good luck !!!

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  14. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

How did you find it on Tidal? I have looked and can't find it or any actual Metallica on there. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

15. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    izombie73 likes this.
  16. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

izombie73 likes this.
  17. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

No luck.

So on the first link I get a message saying the content is no longer available. Weird...

On the second link I get a page that looks like its for the band but the only album available is Lulu? WTF! The only songs available are a handful of live tracks.

18. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

Where do you live? Maybe Metallica is not available on Tidal in your country? :/

19. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

Finally got around to opening the box and A/Bing the 2017 remaster to the DCC. And I just go by my ears, and waveforms or DR results.

So, the 2017 is just a tad louder and there is a bit more separation in the DCC. That being said, the difference is SO slight, that the 2017 is an effing BARGAIN versis purchasing an OOP remaster for 6-10 times that amount.

Well done, Metallica - you’re 2/3 in the remasters :)

20. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

I bought the 3 CD 'Obey Your Remaster" MOP yesterday and listened to the album on disk 1 in the car this morning. I'm not familiar with the DCC cd but this 2017 RM seems to be a winner.

21. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

US, I was kind of wondering that.

22. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Curious if we both agree on which one was the failed one...imo it's Ride the Lightning.

Cooks420 likes this.
  23. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

You should compare to the original CD mastering. The DCC Gold CD is too compressed IMO.

tkl7 likes this.
  24. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Horses for courses though - so long as it's not completely dynamically squashed (and IMO the DCC is not), compresion actually helps bring some of the quieter stuff up in the mix so you can hear it a little better, doesn't it? That's how I hear it at least, but I'm only making an educated guess on how that actually works.

25. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

I’ll have to dig that up ... wherever the heck it is :)