Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

There is a huge difference between the Technics and Ortofon SH-4 in height. I needed to dial down 4.25 for the SH-4. I'm at zero with the SH-4. Shorter carts will require shims for this HS.

One note about Technics HS prices: The new HS has a screw on the underside that some say can be used (or is intended?) for azimuth adjustment. That may justify paying a higher price.

oregonalex likes this.
  2. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

I could not venture a guess. It could be that the tilt just compensates for the higher position of the mounting surface somewhat, but the height difference may be the dominating effect. My suggestion would be to invest in a USB microscope, especially if one uses 3rd party cartridges. As @AArchie said earlier, some cantilever angles are or can get over time severely out of spec and actual measurement is the best way to deal with it.

3. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

I think no matter how you take the pictures, perspective and lens distortion is going to happen. I don't know how to settle this for good.

4. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I think it's going to depend on individual headshells. Mine don't look like the pictures. As oregonalex suggests, the best way to ensure SRA is to use a microscope and measure it directly. While I've semi gone that route with one cart with an out of spec cantilever, I'm happy adjusting using the "level tonearm" method when the cantilever is in spec. At that level of "precision" I don't think these slight misalignments matter much. That said, checking both the arm and headshell for level seems like a good idea.

5. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

My 1210 arrives today. I was hoping to just stick a cart on and enjoy some music. Now I'm scared to take it out of the box :D

bluemooze, oregonalex and recstar24 like this.
  6. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Ahh you'll be fine! Just us obsessive hobbyists! The adjustability on these decks makes them easy to set up and a joy to use.

7. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

Gabe,

I took a closer look at my adjustment and it is a NET 2 3/4ths on the tonearm ring scale. So, about 3mm difference between the Technics and Ortofon SH-4 headshells.

8. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

This is my first time with both removable head shells and adjustable VTA, so forgive me for being a little dense on this. I've got an Ortofon 2M Blue on the stock Technics head shell. The cartridge is 18mm, so the Technics manual says to set the arm ring at 1. When I measure the distance between turntable mat to stylus tip with the arm rest in the up position, I get approx. 1.3cm.

I've also got an Ortofon 2M Mono on an Ortofon SH-4 head shell. Again, the cartridge is 18mm, but the head shell is clearly different. When I measure the distance from turntable mat to stylus tip with this head shell, I get approx. 1.8cm. So, an overall difference of about 0.5cm higher.

Does this mean that when I listen to the Mono cartridge with Ortofon head shell, I should lower the arm height from 1 to 0.5?

9. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

A couple pages back there was discussion about the tonearm wire used in the 1200GR. KAB had said that it was the same "tin-plated" wire used in the 1200MK2. I sent the following inquiry to Technics Support:

Dear Sirs,

I am considering purchasing your 1200G and I have a question regarding the wire used in the tonearm. I have read that the 1200GR tonearm is using the same Tin-Plated Copper Wire that was originally used in the 1200MK2 series. Is this the same wire now used in the 1200G tonearm? If not, what are you using in the 1200G?

Thank you very much

I just received the following reply:

Hello,

Sorry for the delay on my response. We have a confirmation from the factory that the newer 1200G turntable tone arm used the same Tin -Plated Copper wire that 1200MK model used.

Thank You

Technics Technical Support
    Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company
    Division of Panasonic Corporation of North America
    661 Independence Parkway
    Chesapeake, VA 23320

F 1-800-348-7315

EMAIL: [email protected]
    TECHNICS DEALERS: Where to Buy | Technics US

Not what I expected. Based on the positive reviews of the 1200GAE/G and GR, that wire doesn't seem to be a problem. I never got to hear my MK2 before the tonearm was rewired by KAB with Cardas so I can't say what difference that made in my case.

Halloween_Jack, snorker and Robert C like this.
  10. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Glad that we can put the wiring criticism to bed :)

snorker likes this.
  11. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

Is your tonearm "leveled" in both cases? My numbers are based on leveling of the tonearm with each headshell. I discovered this when I was swapping carts and headshells and noticed that when I was set up for the Technics HS but using the Ortofon, my tonearm was sloping down when the needle was on the record. By lowering the tonearm 2 3/4ths on the scale with the Ortofon I was able to level out the tonearm. I have a sheet with the relative weight and height I need for each cart/HS I use so I can swap quickly without going through a lot of re-setup. I use the Ortofon as my starting point and adjust for the Technics by adding wt and height.

12. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I wonder if something was lost in translation between the factory in Japan and the folks in Virginia...if that's true it's rather odd. Why bother with an expensive magnesium arm tube and use the same wiring? The old M5G used all copper wiring, and Kevin at KAB expected the GAE/G used the same all copper wire.

13. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

If they use the old wire, hopefully they based the decision on listening tests to "voice" the TT.

14. missan

missan Forum Resident

Yes, but You are sort of presuming one is better than the other. I wouldnt do that.

snorker likes this.
  15. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I doubt that. I think it's more likely they didn't understand the question, but it could just be they cheaped-out on the wire. Why they would do that when going to all the trouble to change all the other things, like the motor, the platter, the plinth and the magnesium arm tube is beyond me...

EDIT: I've made an incorrect assumption here I think...tin-plated copper is more expensive. I'm not sure why KAB doesn't like it.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  16. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

KAB definitely thinks so...of course he makes a living re-wiring tonearms. Even Technics must've believed the all copper wiring was better at some point, hence its inclusion on the "improved" M5G models.

EDIT: You may be right...I'm completely ignorant, but there's some information out there on the inter-web suggesting tin-plated copper wire is more expensive and has several advantages over pure copper:

By coating bare copper with a metal alloy, like tin, you can strengthen the copper’s natural properties, which will give it a longer shelf life. Also, tinned copper is easier to connect because tin is a primary component in solder. Tinned copper is better equipped to resist humidity, high temperatures and wet environments.
    Also this:

Tin is a useful plating for copper because it not only helps to boost copper’s properties, it also helps the wire to last much longer than it would normally. In fact, a 12 gauge tin coated copper wire can last up to ten times longer than a similar 12 gauge bare copper wire.

As tin resists corrosion and doesn’t oxidize the plating helps to protect the copper underneath. This wards off additional wear and tear that would detract years off the life of a bare copper cable. This is especially so in instances where the operating temperatures of the wire exceed 100 degrees Celsius. At higher temperatures, the corrosion resistance of copper declines, making a tin coating valuable for protecting the wire in this state. It is also highly desirable for any marine electronics, and tinned copper is infamous for its uses in marine technologies.

Tinned wires are also desirable for soldering as they make connections and soldering an easy task given tin is a primary component in solder. Tin also helps to strengthen the copper wire underneath, making it more resilient to breakage or lost connections while also boosting coppers conductivity.

So while tinned copper wire is more expensive than bare copper wire, it is often considered to be a much more prudent expenditure in the long run. Given that simple tin plating can drastically increase the life of copper, as well as ensure its effectiveness in high humidity areas, it pays for itself with strong performance and a lot less maintenance.​

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Halloween_Jack and recstar24 like this.
  17. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Or get a thicker mat.

I bit the bullet and sold the two SH-4 headshells I was going to use and picked up an extra Technics headshell. Now all I have to do is adjust the tracking force between the 2M Bronze and the Mono.

oregonalex likes this.
  18. Chris Treece

It's here! No time tonight, so setup will have to wait. Interesting purchasing experience; saw a 1210 on eBay for £1080 from a dealer - brand new in box, but lid was cracked at one corner. I could live with that for the price, I thought, so ordered it on Friday. Got dispatch notification on Saturday morning. Then a message from the dealer via eBay on Monday morning to apologise, but that unit had already been sold. Yes, I replied, to me - I bought it on eBay. No response to that, just another reply, offering me a brand new, sealed unit for an extra £25. I phoned and paid them the £25 and a new unit was dispatched. Ten minutes later, the original unit, with cracked lid, went back on sale on eBay! They'd realised I had, in fact, bought the first unit but honoured their offer. Brand new 1210 arrived this evening - £1105 delivered, in the end, so happy camper here

APH, wgb113, LarryP and 5 others like this.
  19. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

Did I miss this information somewhere? This is a black topped GR? That is a great price!

20. Chris Treece

The new unit with the cracked lid is still on eBay for £1080. UK authorised dealer, two year warranty. Surprised no-one had bought it before I did. Or didn't, if you see what I mean.....

21. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I looked but couldn't find it without more information.

22. Chris Treece

Not difficult! Search eBay U.K. site for SL1210GR - only three results; a new one at RRP, a (briefly) used one for £1150 and the new-with-a-cracked-lid for £1080 from HiFi Corner, Edinburgh.

23. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

That's odd, I'm on the UK eBay and I only get the used (£1150) one coming up. I wonder if eBay has some kind of location filters? It doesn't really matter. You got a great deal nonetheless! :)

24. Chris Treece

Technics SL-1210GR (Black) Turntable - B Grade | eBay

25. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

PhilBiker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.