EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I happened to have my iTunes playing on random while reading this, and what should come on when I get to these pics but "Being in Love" from The Music Man...sung by guess who? I don't know if that's more creepy or sweet.

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Yup. Mala was a Bell subsidiary.

3. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

"The Letter" was indeed on Mala, which was a Bell subsidiary (however, Box Tops' LP's were on Bell, which no doubt added to some confusion). "I Think I Love You" was the first #1 single on Bell proper. This is what was meant.

tmoore and Grant like this.
  4. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Ms. Jones (who did have some solo singles on Bell while The Partridge Family was on and running) was one of several girls born in an era where many a mother named their daughter(s) after Shirley Temple. (Another was Shirley MacLaine, and I have to wonder about Shirley Bassey in that context, as well.)

As for post-PF pics of her, there were a few taken during her marriage to Marty Ingels.

5. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

LOL. I was a Saturday morning cartoon junkie in the early seventies, and I don't recall ever seeing this one:

(Looks like the Partridges stopped off at the Jetsons' house to pick up their gear. And apparently Dave 'Reuben Kincaid' Madden took a pass on doing the voice for his character in this classic).

Grant and CliffL like this.
  6. AppleBonker

And because you were wondering, here is one of the future Partridge Family numbers. Interesting that they have yet a third look for the youngest son (I had to look up his name, that's how pointless he was: Chris). Is this a real Partridge number or some generic hackery?

7. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I liked, and still like "Ooh child" better than any of the Jacksons' hits during this era. There is a lot of emotion in it that is lacking in the Jacksons' work, even though their songs were catchier. It also has really cool dynamics between the verses and choruses - again something absent from the Jacksons' hits. To my ears "Ooh child" has aged incredibly well.

8. Craigman1959

Craigman1959 Forum Resident

I always liked the Partridge Family songs....but the girls certainly liked them more.

And I remember liking David Cassidy's solo version of 'How Can I Be Sure?'....having never heard the Rascals version.

If you ever get to catch the movie 'Come On, Get Happy: The Partridge Family Story'...it was pretty interesting too.

9. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

I LOVE the Jackson 5, but I agree with you on "Ooh Child" . It has the quality of both a lullaby and an anthem, and really brings back the feeling of this era for me. Clarence Burke Jr. sang lead and was an excellent lead vocalist, and the group's harmonies have a feeling of both melancholy and hopefulness.

One thing about this record, it was on the charts for a long time and slowly moved into the top ten, and the early pressings of the 45 had a cover of "Dear Prudence" as the A side and "Ooh Child" as the b-side. Their version of "Dear Prudence" is quite good. I remember I had a tough time finding a copy, I didn't locate one until about 6 months after it had fallen off the charts and it was no longer readily available in stores. My friends and relatives were always trying to borrow my copy, and I was like "Nope, it was too tough for me to score this!"

pablo fanques, Tim S and sunspot42 like this.
  10. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

According to wiki, David Cassidy and Shirley Jones also did not participate. And Susan Dey quit after the first two episodes. But ironically (given the earlier Monkees/Partridge discussion) Micky Dolenz did provide voices for some of the supporting characters. I vaguely remember this show, but I never watched it for some reason, though I do remember watching other cartoon spin-offs like the Brady Bunch and The New Adventures of Gilligan.

Ah, I see here why I didn't watch it. It was up against The New Adventures of Gilligan on the schedule.

11. AppleBonker

Yeah, you're right. I thought at first they were all coming out of that same shell. Instead, they just spontaneously generate moments after the mother, already fully grown, is born. I guess that's an answer to 'which came first, the partridge or the egg?' that I hadn't considered!

12. AppleBonker

You're partially right. The sister and sole female in the group was named Alohe, and she does sing several verses on her own. I would say she and two of her brothers are co-lead singers on this one, as two of them get their own verses (one of the two is probably Clarence, but I don't know for sure).

Because you mentioned it, here is their excellent version of the Beatles' Dear Prudence:

Interestingly, according to Wikipedia, Billy Preston introduced the group to the Beatles (not sure when that would have happened, though), and George Harrison ended up signing them up for his Dark Horse label a few years after Ooh Child.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    pablo fanques, Tim S and CliffL like this.
  13. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

"I Think I Love You" is the only Partridge Family song I like today that I can bear to listen to a couple times in a row.
    That song has made it onto my self-made collection of my favorite songs of all time (from acts from which I only like a couple songs), so I like it a lot.
    (I should explain -- that particular collection of mine is about 25 CDs long at this point, so the song has plenty of company)

The only other song of theirs that I don't mind hearing, but I only like hearing it no more than once at any sitting, is "It's One Of Those Nights (Yes Love)". I like the sentiment of that song but I don't like it very much musically, at this late date.

The Partridge Family was very big in my family's household. Here's why:
    I was 4 in 1971. The three children born immediately before me (all girls) were 13, 11, and 9, respectively, in 1971.
    So guess who heard a lot of the Partridge Family in the early '70s? (yours truly)
    My sisters had a (self-made) reel-to-reel tape (!) with their first two albums (The Partridge Family and Up To Date), and we had vinyls of Sound Magazine and Shopping Bag.
    But I guess they stopped being fans in 1972, since we don't have any of their albums after Shopping Bag.

I have a fourth sister who was 16 in 1971. As far as I can tell (from what they have told me) she was the only one of the four who was into the Monkees, as my other sisters were rather young in the late '60s.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  14. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

I'll put 'I'll Be There' up there with 'Ooh Child', and later the J5 did 'Dancing Machine', so that's another ringer right there.

15. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I believe Shirley Jones was 36 in 1970 (having been born in 1934). So she really wasn't that old when PF came around, but 36 to all us now looks a lot different than 36 looked to us then.

SuprChickn77, Jrr and Grant like this.
  16. Grant

Here we go again with stereotyping who liked what more. I grew up in that era as a kid, and I don't remember any girls liking the Partridge Family music, but I did know boys like me who did. I will admit that the musical portions of the show were intentionally targeted towards females because of David Cassidy being the main star of the show.

I was also a Saturday morning cartoon junkie in the late 60s and early 70s. I had no idea this cartoon existed until just now. Maybe my ABC affiliate just didn't show it. I did watch the New Adventures of Gilligan, though. Not for long.

17. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

One of the singles we had from 1968 was Merilee Rush's "Touch Me In the Morning" which was on the Bell label, but this was an earlier version of the label than the 1970-1975 version. Our single had a dark blue label, with the letter "Bell" in the shape of a bell at the 12 o'clock position on the label.

18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I Think I Love You and I Woke Up In Love were classic baroque pop. Most of the other Partridge Family songs sounded like something from From Elvis in Memphis or That's the Way it Is. Maybe because Elvis covered two Screen Gems songs on that album (You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling and I Just Can't Help Believing) they thought they were in with a chance and wrote songs in that style.

19. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Are you sure about Shirley Jones? She was born in March 1934, and as far as I can tell (from Internet) Shirley Temple was a child star starting in 1935.

Unfortunately not many of us have the longetivity to be able to verify this from memory.

20. Grant

If you reread my post, I said that I didn't remember any girls going ape over David Soul, not Bobby Sherman.

21. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Bell's UK label totally dominated the charts in the early 70s with the Bay City Rollers and Gary Glitter as we as their US acts. I think they had a third of the top 40 at one stage.

22. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Not in my household, as detailed in my earlier post about three of my four sisters.
    None of my brothers had any use for the PF. One of them recorded their albums for my sisters on his reel-to-reel, but I could tell he was doing it just to placate them.

23. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Bobby Sherman was in Here Comes the Brides. The theme song (Seattle) was huge, as was Easy Come Easy Go.

David Soul was even bigger. Don't Give Up on Us, Silver Lady and Going in With My Eyes Open were the first time an artist had their first three singles hit #1 (in the UK charts) since Gerry and the Pacemakers.

24. Grant

Maybe it's one of those times where we might be able to say that there were vast differences in regions of the country, differences in cultures, or households. There seems to be no other real explanation for all the differences we cite here on this forum.

25. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Got it. I'll delete my earlier post.