Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Agreed 100%. Especially the part about a Street Legal/'78 tour set. I'd LOVE that!

duggan and Sean Murdock like this.
  2. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

We don't know much, admittedly -- that's part of what makes the JWH sessions so compelling. Nothing -- NOTHING -- additional from the sessions has been released or booted, save from a few seconds of the full ending of "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight" (on the withdrawn 1997 remaster of Biograph), and a few outtakes which have been rumored to be in the hands of collectors, and not public. If Clinton Heylin's Recording Sessions book offers complete documentation, then we only have one outtake of "All Along The Watchtower" and one of "John Wesley Harding" -- but I find it hard to believe that every other song was captured in its master form in one take. There are no known SONGS from the sessions that have gone unreleased, and perhaps this is why Bob Inc. have avoided them, but as always with Bob, alternate takes can also be illuminating.

Recently, thanks to the creation of the Tulsa archive, we have gotten a bit more information. In this Rolling Stone article, curator Michael Chaiken reports that he's heard the JWH tapes:

Chaiken has only begun to dip into the hundreds of hours of raw Dylan recording sessions, but he's already come across a completely different version of 1997's Time Out of Mind produced by pianist Jim Dickinson and the complete John Wesley Harding sessions. "It's such a mysterious record," he says. "I heard a couple of alternate takes of 'All Along The Watchtower' that were, to me as a fan, just incredible."

In another article from this past April, Chaiken says something similar:

Chaiken found himself doing a deep dive on the sessions that would become the album titled "John Wesley Harding." "To hear the alternate versions to 'All Along the Watchtower,' it was amazing," Chaiken said. "He's like a Miles Davis character when he goes into the studio, there's so much improvisation going on and moving things around, trying to find the rhythm."

Here's another tidbit from a Rolling Stone article -- which really should be read in full:

To guard against bootlegging, the archive will maintain the audio files on a secure, offline network accessible only by three computer terminals at the library. Employees are still in the process of transferring many of the audio files, though they do have John Wesley Harding outtakes that have never been heard by fans. A click on the first take of "As I Went Out One Morning" reveals a drastically slowed-down, dirge-like rendition of the song.

Maybe I'm just easily persuaded, but that's enough evidence for me that some kind of JWH sessions release is warranted. :righton:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    BlueTrane, Beatlebug, highway and 7 others like this.
  3. Sean Murdock

It's true, and you definitely have to be willing to "go along for the ride" with the Gospel Era. There's no doubt that Bob was writing and performing with intense passion and commitment during this time. If you're just dipping your toes into the Bootleg Series pool, though, I might suggest getting Vol. 8 to go with Vols. 1-3 -- together, they comprise a nearly 50-year overview of his entire "alternate" career. If you're sold by those, you can start getting the more period-specific sets.

DeeThomaz and NaturalD like this.
  4. Sean Murdock

Here's a concerning thought, and then I promise to go back to BS13-related posting -- Is it possible that Dylan Inc. sees the Tulsa Archive as its conduit for making all of Bob's recordings "available to the public" and therefore releasing them from the annual Copyright Extension obligation? I was just wondering why they would be reluctant to release any JWH material when we had three separate raves about the sessions coming from Tulsa ... and this occurred to me. The Archive is officially open, but only to a limited number of people -- still, more folks than were able to buy Copyright 1962 a few years ago...

matt79rome89 and DeeThomaz like this.
  5. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

But doesn't the material have to be accessible in Europe -- since that's the copyright extension that is being protected? Bob's good to go in the good 'ole US of A.

I can't imagine that having recordings available to listen to in a room in Oklahoma satisfies the European copyright legalese.

Squiggsy68 and Sean Murdock like this.
  6. Sean Murdock

Yes, I thought of that after it was too late to edit my post. I believe you are correct.

7. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Michael Krogsgaard was given permission years ago to examine the Columbia Archives. He began publishing his findings in 1995 in the now-defunct Telegraph magazine published by the late John Bauldie. In Issue #53 (Winter 1995) he included his examination of the John Wesley Harding reels:-

Quote:-

There have been rumours of a September 1967 session prior to the actual recording of John Wesley Harding. There are no session dates in Bob Dylan's name in the Nashville log books prior to the three John Wesley Harding sessions. For the first two sessions, all details are available:

Studio A
    Columbia Recording Studios
    Nashville, Tennessee
    October 17, 1967, 9 pm - 12 midnight.

Produced by Bob Johnston

1. Drifter's Escape CO120927 Take 1C

2. Drifter's Escape Take 2C

3. Drifter's Escape Take 3b

4. Drifter's Escape Take 4b

5. Drifter's Escape Take 5C

6. I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine CO120928 Take 1B

7. I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine Take 2C

8. I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine Take 3C

9. I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine Take 4C

10. The Ballad Of Frankie Lee And Judas Priest

CO120929 Take 1C

Musicians: Charlie McCoy (bass) and Kenneth Buttrey (drums).

2, 9 and 10 released on John Wesley Harding.

Studio A
    Nashville, Tennessee
    November 6, 1967, 6:00 - 9:30 pm.

Produced by Bob Johnston

1. All Along The Watchtower CO120955 Take 1b

2. All Along The Watchtower Take 2C

3. All Along The Watchtower Take 3C

4. All Along The Watchtower (Insert) Take 1b

5. All Along The Watchtower (Insert) Take 2C

6. John Wesley Harding CO120956 Take 1C

7. John Wesley Harding Take 2C

8. As I Went Out One Morning CO120957 Take 1C

9. As I Went Out One Morning Take 2C

10. As I Went Out One Morning Take 3B

11. As I Went Out One Morning Take 4b

12. As I Went Out One Morning Take 5C

13. I Pity The Poor Immigrant CO120958 Take 1b

14. I Pity The Poor Immigrant Take 2C

15. I Pity The Poor Immigrant Take 3b

16. I Pity The Poor Immigrant Take 4C

17. I Pity The Poor Immigrant Take 5B

18. I Pity The Poor Immigrant Take 6B

19. I Pity The Poor Immigrant Take 7b

20. I Pity The Poor Immigrant Take 8B

21. I Pity The Poor Immigrant Take 9B

22. I Pity The Poor Immigrant Take 10C

23. I Am A Lonesome Hobo CO120959 Take 1C

24. I Am A Lonesome Hobo Take 2b

25. I Am A Lonesome Hobo Take 3C

26. I Am A Lonesome Hobo Take 4C

27. I Am A Lonesome Hobo Take 5C

A splice of 3 and 5, and 7, 12, 22, 27 released on John Wesley Harding.

For the third session, the session tape has been located but not been available for examination yet:

Studio A
    Nashville, Tennessee
    November 29, 1967, 6:00 - 9:00 pm and 9:00 - 12 midnight.

Produced by Bob Johnston

1. Wicked Messenger CO120960

2. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight CO120961

3. Down Along The Cove CO120962

4. Dear Landlord CO120963

6-9 pm: The Wicked Messenger and I'll Be Your Baby Tonight recorded.
    9-12 pm: Down Along The Cove, and Dear Landlord recorded.

9-12: Pete Drake (steel guitar).

All tracks released on John Wesley Harding.

Unquote

Michael's documentation for all the Columbia recording sessions he examined can be found on PDF here (I keep meaning to go through them to see if he documented anything that was left off Big Blue, but I get distracted by other things like this BS13 monster:-

http://www.dylanstubs.com/extras/sessions.pdf

It is known (as Sean indicates above) that the JWH reels are at the Tulsa Archives.

These tantalising images also emerged at the same time as Michael's Telegraph pieces:-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    #

[​IMG]

Zeki, Fred1970, Beatlebug and 9 others like this.
  8. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

When I promised to look for the quotes, I should have just said "Sean will do it for me, and present it far better than I would have."

Sean Murdock likes this.
  9. Sean Murdock

Thank you for all this -- very illuminating!

DeeThomaz likes this.
  10. Sean Murdock

Aw, shucks, Dee... The only reason I was able to access those quotes so quickly is because I maintain a running Word document where I copy and paste any and all news about the Tulsa Archive. Because I am not entirely mentally healthy when it comes to this stuff...

11. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

I think the track-by-track liner notes are better than they've been for some of the volumes (I'm looking at you, Basement Tapes Complete...). That, to me, is an added thrill.

matt79rome89 and wavethatflag like this.
  12. DeeThomaz

I long enjoyed Rob Bowman's work (mostly I know him from his work on The Band's reissues and box). These are definitely some of the best track-by-track notes we've gotten in the Bootleg Series. Maybe the best. I certainly haven't found anything to nitpick yet (but I guess it must just be out there waiting for me).

revolution_vanderbilt and jpmosu like this.
  13. DeeThomaz

In fairness, you also present the quotes with useful context. That's all you.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  14. Tom Schreck

Who did the online-only Basement Tapes Complete notes? Those were good, but also incomplete if I remember correctly (no sixth disc maybe?).

15. DeeThomaz

Ben Rollins, who has participated in several of the recent BS sets. It's odd his notes were absent from Complete Basement Tapes box (I think his notes for the relevant tracks WERE in the 2CD version). They were available on-line only, as you mention (my theory is they dropped Rollins' notes from the Basement Tapes in favor of Heylin's piece at the last moment. But I'm just guessing here).

As I've mentioned on a few occasions, his Basement Tapes piece offered the intriguing tidbit that Dylan recorded a performance of "Spanish Is The Loving Tongue" during the Blood on the Tracks sessions. He might have confused it for another contemporaneous performance, but I'm inclined to think he was revealing something he had learned from official access.

Sean Murdock and Tom Schreck like this.
  16. Tom Schreck

Found a bad error on page 16: there is no book of "Revelations." It's Revelation. I know it's something people get wrong all the time, but it's that kind of pedantry I expect from my Dylan scholarship.

siveld, janschfan, Percy Song and 2 others like this.
  17. DeeThomaz

I think I prefer the San Diego "Covenant Woman" to the one on disc 1. But hey, that one's pretty great too.

lschwart likes this.
  18. Tom Schreck

One other minor quibble: I'd like to sit down comfortably with the track-by-tracks and really concentrate, but the book with those track notes and the discs themselves feels kinda fragile and feels like I should handle it delicately.

Personally, I wouldn't mind having all the "written" aspects together in the robust separate book and the photos with the more fragile disc book if they'd need to do that. Or just put all the interesting notes and photos together in the separate volume and put the discs together my themselves in a slipcase of some sort.

19. DeeThomaz

Oh yeah. I think these books are gorgeous. But there are practical aspects that have been overlooked.

20. DeeThomaz

"Saving Grace" might be the song I've most overlooked all these years. It's not a barnstormer, but I'm REALLY enjoying these live versions.

21. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

They were. There always seems to be something in the 2-Disc versions which is not included in the deluxe versions.

Dee: have you checked the 2-Disc set for BS13 yet? Any note or images not featured in the deluxe? (Don't let me interrupt your listening pleasure, though...)

DeeThomaz likes this.
  22. Sean Murdock

I've always loved that song, and it's one of the few on the Saved album that I think lives up to the live versions (although the live ones may still be better).

DeeThomaz likes this.
  23. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I never really paid it any mind until I heard him play it live in 2003. I got it there and then, and now I enjoy the song every time I hear it.

Sean Murdock and DeeThomaz like this.
  24. DeeThomaz

My initial impression is they don't have anything unique (a rarity in the BS). I might be wrong, I know. I haven't done a page-by-page comparison.

25. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

So, after saying that something did not sound right at HD Tracks, with Trouble No More, they have refunded my purchase. It was $134 minus 15% discount.

It turns out...not all the files were 96/24

Maybe my ears are pretty good after all!

It appears that they have fixed the issue after all.