Something New from Led Zeppelin Being Mastered Now

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tmtomh, Oct 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

I'm sure in Page's recent Oxford Union addresshe mentioned he had been listening to something recently, maybe from 1973, though I wasn't really listening properly..

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  2. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

It's not good, especially for a band that always had interesting album art that was somehow evocative of the general vibe of the band.

Whenever I listen to it, I pinch myself, 'cos the band happened to record two amazing shows and actually went ahead and released something from them! LA was a favorite of mine for 15 years, and while the well-known audience recording is fun, and complete, it's muddy at best. Even the three tracks on the "Studio Daze" boot are flat and thin-sounding.

HTWWW is a bit too crushed and in your face, but the acoustic set is fantastic. I hate the musical omissions, can take or leave Plant's stage banter. I would be satisfied with both shows complete or the songs omitted from LA put back where they belong.

Oh, and let's have the LA version of Rock and Roll, please. It might be the best Plant ever sung it.

eddiel and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  3. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Regardless of whether it is a new release or a remastering of a previous release I have confidence that John Davis will deliver a release with decent mastering and sound. I thought the recent studio remasters were all well done sound wise and expect future releases will be also.

vanye, Roberto899, Sean and 5 others like this.
  4. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

If HTWWW was released in the early seventies it would be considered a classic and would be mentioned in the same league with the Who’s “Live At Leeds” and “Get Yer Ya’s Ya’s Out” by The Rolling Stones. Also, the artwork would have been much cooler.

5. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

He was listening to Dazed and Confused live from Jan 73 and compared it to The Song Remains The Same version (July 73) and was amazed how the band's improvisation had reached new levels.

My initial thought was Jimmy would be releasing Earl's Court live for the 50 anniversary of Led Zeppelin. Listening to Jimmy's Oxford speech, I'm veering to a chronological live release that Jimmy has been talking about since the 70s. (He didn't consider The Song Remains the Same a true live lp)

rikki nadir likes this.
  6. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

It’s all good with me

7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The zing of the day

8. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

I've posted on the Zep forums that I reckon / believe / fantasise that something from the early days will "emerge" in time for the anniversary next year. If it did I think I'd spontaneously combust with excitement. :goodie:

jdlaw and revolution_vanderbilt like this.
  9. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Probably, and it likely would not have contained the same expansive set-list (they would have needed to pare it down to a double vinyl set).

10. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

How The East Was Won Live in Japan 1971 3 CD + Blu Ray stereo and 5.1 with loads of extras to me

With full dynamic range intact

Now THAT'S a worthy Zep release

[​IMG]

11. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

For a second there I thought this was a real thing. God I wish this was a real thing

12. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

What about starting a Bootleg Series?

13. Amen.

RockDude4492 likes this.
  14. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

This is an idea whose time has come. To borrow from the Grateful Dead, and in honor of Zep's legendary bootleg-destroying manager, the series should be called Peter's Cheaters.

15. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

How The West Was Won I prefer mostly because I am a huge fan of Zep's 1972 setlist and overall vibe - actually I would say 1972 is personally my favorite year for Zeppelin in general! Plant's vocals are still soaring high, the band is tight and on fire, the acoustic set is great, and that is the only year he could hit the original notes in the main vocal part to Over The Hills and Far Away

Southampton is a fun listen for sure though, and even though Plant definitely is not at his best and the band itself is in my opinion not even at the same level as they were for the MSG shows so we already have a better version of that tour in The Song Remains The Same

ohnothimagen likes this.
  16. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I was thinking Peter Beaters...

You can have all sorts of certain shows, like Butterqueen, Red Snapper. Pat'
    Delight.

keef285 likes this.
  17. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Zep should do like Yes did a couple years ago with "Progeny" and just put out all the "71 Japan shows on CD, with a corresponding 3 or 4 record vinyl "sampler." I couldn't care less about 5.1, it's not what that music was really meant for.

Some sort of hi-res version would be great, if the quality's there to exploit.

Roberto899 likes this.
  18. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

That's the spirit!

Bring it on home to me!

19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

On RO.com (IIRC) someone posted some interview snippets with Page where he talked about how he mentioned an official bootleg series to Ahmet decades ago. So at some point it was on his mind. The weird thing is since then it's been pretty much a different stance. I recon we just have to wait until they get even older and care even less about whatever it is they care about now that's stopping something like that from happening. :)

20. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Hey, I'm the guy who can find merit in a bad 1977 show like Tempe...my tastes are a little warped, yeah.
    They'll be playing the Stanley Cup down in Hades before that happens. Or Page, Plant and Jones shuffle off their mortal coil, whichever comes first...

21. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

Pray for Hades!

22. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

I got very excited reading an interview he did with Lisa Robinson in Hit Parader magazine in which he described this live collection and she said 'that would be great!' - Page replied 'It WILL be great.'

That was forty years ago. Of course, these things do take a bit of time...

ODShowtime likes this.
  23. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Why would Jimmy do the chronological live album at this late stage and with much of that planned album's content already released separately; it wouldn't make sense, either logically or commercially? If the upcoming release is anything substantial, it's likely Earl's Court '75 (which I know for a fact that JP has been considering for a couple of years), or it's just a remastered HTWWW for vinyl... but knowing me, I'll be proved wrong on both counts.

24. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Because he never felt Led Zeppelin was accurately represented live and because he has nothing else to do.

25. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I always figured the 2003 DVD was supposed to represent the "chronological live album" Page had wanted to do for all those years. I believe he had some sort of a live album assembled in the late seventies/early eighties but Robert Plant put the kibosh on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.