EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I know. I was there. We watched the TV show too.

Maybe there, but not here in the U.S..

2. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

In Australia we got The Partridge Family later than just about any country in the world. Family Album and Sound Magazine were already out when Channel 7 started screening the show. They were sort of an overnight sensation after that.

3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Guys used to dress like Starsky, girls liked Hutch. There's an episode where a bad guy gets Hutch strung out on heroin and girls in my class were literally in tears.

4. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

But I cannot speak for anything outside of my household --- not even my neighbors ---- since I was very young then.

Grant likes this.
  5. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

I didn't realize that David Soul was so big in the U.K. Three number ones! I just remember "Don't Give Up On Us" here in the states. Of course he was a big star on "Starsky and Hutch" after "Here Come the Brides". I like the song "Seattle" by Perry Como, much more than his other hit "It's Impossible".

6. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Even Queen Elizabeth was said to like Starsky and Hutch (and Kojak)

David Soul was on the Private Stock label which was owned by Frankie Valli

7. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Are you referring to Angel Of The Morning?

8. Grant

OMG.:rolleyes: Really?o_O

9. Grant

There is the age factor, too. I was 6-9 years old in the early 70s. Just the perfect age to be one of those ABC Friday night lineup watchers.

10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The weird part is they all broke down sobbing the day after at school when talking about the episode. God knows what they were like when the episode was actually playing.

(We weren't allowed to watch it so I'm going on secondhand information)

[​IMG]

Starsky jacket. Don't you want one?

SuprChickn77 likes this.
  11. Grant

That's gotta be it. Many people don't know the proper titles of songs. But, yeah, they were on the Bell label, though they never got to #1.

The 5th Dimension's first Bell single was also around this time: "Puppet Man". Seems that once Bell switched their distribution to Screen Gems, they started getting more major hits.

12. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Some of the later Box Tops singles were on Bell. I've got one called 'Let Me Go'

13. Grant

Here in the states, things were different. Kids were big into Happy Days, Kung-Fu, The Six-Million Dollar Man, Good Times, and Welcome Back Kotter. Older people were into Kojak ("Who loves ya, Baby?"), and of course, M*A*S*H, Maude, Mary Tyler Moore, and All In The Family. Needless to say, action dramas were huge in the 70s. So were shows like The Waltons.

14. Grant

I wasn't really aware of The Box Tops as a kid, although I had one 45 by them: "Fields Of Clover"/"Choo-Choo Train". That's all I knew from them.

Mylene likes this.
  15. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Actually, their first Bell single was The Declaration b/w A Change Is Gonna Come/People Gotta Be Free. Puppet Man came next followed by Save The Country and the biggest hit from that first Bell LP Portrait, One Less Bell To Answer. On The Beach (In The Summertime) a non LP single was shoehorned into the middle of those four releases.

16. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

All those shows were big here. They started Happy Days as a summer filler at 5.30PM and it took off and became a ratings dynamo (Laverne and Shirley was even bigger here, any show with girls and beer was going to be big down under) Good Times wasn't that big when first shown but when they reran the entire series in the early 80s it became a really big cult show. I was addicted to it.

17. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

I really like the Box Tops. I pretty much heard all their hits growing up, my favorite was "Sweet Cream Ladies Forward March". It had that great American Studios Memphis sound, and talk about risqué lyrics!! I didn't get a chance to talk about them since I wasn't following this thread for the late 60s time period.

18. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

(Duh directed to me) Yes.

And I'll go back and correct THAT post.
    EDIT - Well I can't do that. Why do we only have a 30 minute window to edit our own posts???

Oh I know the proper title of the song. I just had a brain fart when I was typing that post.
    I'm at work and had to get back to what I really needed to do today and so I did not proofread the post, nor did I see my error until an hour or two later.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  19. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

FYI, I wasn't being the title police. Since Touch Me In The Morning was an actual Diana Ross song, I wasn't sure if Merilee Rush got to it first.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  20. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

I usually pride myself on being accurate (so much so that I think I annoy some people who know me in the real world) and so I try to get those things right.

=================================
    (in thinking about Angel of the Morning, it does have "just touch my cheek before you leave me" in the chorus -- I probably was thinking of that)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  21. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Speaking of Puppet Man and One Less Bell, both were featured in an episode of It Takes A Thief in the winter of 1970. The group and songs actually figured into the plot. My favorite line for months afterwards, "Marilyn's alive!"

Damiano54, CliffL and Grant like this.
  22. Grant

Yup. I always get the release of "The Declaration" and "Puppet Man" backward. I bought the singles out of sequence, which is probably why, and I later bought the album.

I recall that the label had a lot of problems figuring out what singles to release from that album. It really wasn't until they released "One Bell To Answer" that they hit paydirt.

23. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

The Wikipedia page on "Bell Records" shows the late '60s blue Bell label (the 45 shown there is of Merilee Rush's "Angel of the Morning").

I'll have an additional question about this label later tonight.

Grant likes this.
  24. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

And according to legend, they had no intention of releasing Bell as they'd already put out 3 singles from that LP. Radio airplay and massive listener prodding did the trick. IIRC, Bell may have been Bacharach/David's last big hit before Arthur's Theme, though I'm too lazy to look up whether David was a part of that one.
    I distinctly remember buying The Declaration first because Soul City had The Girl's Song out as a single at the same time and I was confused about the label change.

Grant likes this.
  25. Grant

I will never forget the morning after the first airing of "Happy Days". Most of the kinds in my 6th grade home room did nothing but talk about Fonzie". Sheesh! But, a lot of people don't know that the show had its pilot aired within an episode of "Love, American Style". That was a show that, while my parents frowned on me watching it, they never forbade me from watching it, either. Hey! Friday night at 9:00 P.M.. Who's gonna stop me? :D We were allowed to stay up as long as we wanted to on Friday and Saturday nights. Problem is, back in those days, TV stations signed off the air at around twelve or one in the morning.

Oh, I have their hits now, but, back then, I had no idea. I had never even heard "The Letter" until the late 80s when I got it on CD.

Of course. I just found a place to add my comment.

The moderators figure that's enough time for anyone to go back in and fix something before it's permanent. It also helps limit how long a troll or hothead can fix their crime before they are caught.:D

It happens to all of us!