Lord of the Rings TV show

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ianuaditis, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I don't know about this. Everything I read yesterday about this deal indicated that only works included in the first deal (IOW no Silmarillian) would be tackled. Perhaps the Tolkien estate would consider a new agreement if these new adaptations are worthy.

ianuaditis likes this.
  2. Right -but Silmarillion stories may attract some of the crowd enjoying Game Of Thrones.

ianuaditis likes this.
  3. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

If Christopher still has a major say in what the Tolkien Estate can 'shop out', and given that he poured his soul into completing The Silmarillion for his father for publication - I think you are right; The Silmarillion is not part of the deal.

ianuaditis and EddieMann like this.
  4. Erik Tracy

Hey, I've been wrong lots of times on just about everything.

It may indeed - that would be a good thing, imo.

Maybe some on-screen eye candy would make The Silmarillion more attractive to folks who gave up reading it. :D

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  5. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

No. Just no.
    Good lord man, have you ever actually READ the Silmarillion? It is without doubt the most boring book I ever read. That's because it was just the mountains and sky behind Hobbit/LOTR. Obscure history that colored the perceptions of the real books.
    Besides this being on Amazon limits the number of people that will ever actually see it. IMO its doomed to fail.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  6. Erik Tracy

And...that just made my point. :wave:

7. EddieMann

I have to respectfully disagree with you about the Silmarillian. I too had trouble in my attempts to actually read it. But when I got the unabridged books on tape (or cd in this case) version, the entire world opened up to me. It is (IMNSHO) absolutely fascinating. I think a weekly series like this might be the best way to portray it; in bits and pieces, a couple or three weeks per story. Don't discount Tolkien's fans' abilities to seek out, find, and then view these versions either. I think it would do just fine. :)

nsmith1002, ianuaditis and Pete Puma like this.
  8. Yes, I have read it. Have you actually watched any of Peter Jackson's adaptions? Liberties are taken generously that lead to some big departures from the written work. If you honestly don't believe their are adaptable stories in the Silmarillian then what can I say beyond I strongly disagree with you. I have no idea whether Amazon has acquired the rights to the Silmarillian stories, but that network did a great series called The Man In The High Tower that gives me hope they could pull something off here that works well.

9. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Oh yes. The expanded versions as well as theatrical. I read Hobbit when I was twelve and LOTR at 13, so thats nearly 50 years ago. I enjoy the Jacksons very much, but a lot of the changes and new material bothered me, but they had to make a movie and make all these stars, as well as Jackson happy. Its by no means definitive. To be honest there are a few of the "legends" and "historical stories" of Middle Earth that might make a good story for Movie or TV in the Silmarillion but few that would relate in much of a fashion with Hobbit/LOTR. GOT indeed.
    I WILL try to catch it, but I have extremely low expectations.

Pete Puma likes this.
  10. Erik Tracy

Well, I still think if Amazon actually produces a TV series on this, it'll be a 'safe'(er) bet to use material from the Appendices and set it in the Third Age.

You have Hobbits, tangible bad guys (Nazgul, esp the Witch King), Elves (heck, they can tap Rivendell/Elrond, Lothlorien/Galadriel), Dwarves, throw in some references to Gondor (or even some episodes).

Basically, you have all the touch points from LOTR proper to give instant context to those familiar with the Hobbit and LOTR.

Episodes centering on Feanor, Fingolfin, Turgon, Beren, Turin, Hurin and places like Gondolin, Dor-Lomin, Menegroth, Doriath would only, I fear, result in bewildered looks of 'huh'?

ianuaditis likes this.
  11. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17 Thread Starter

Maybe, but many of those elements are in the the LOTR books in allusions and flahsbacks, so could be worked in like that at first until the audience has a better handle on what happened.

Also, they are talking about multiple shows, Silmarillion could be a spin-off of the kinds of settings you mention, maybe after using those devices to set it up in the main show.

The 'Tale of years' section in the appendix gives enough plot points for several seasons worth of TV shows IMO, they wouldn't even need to tap into the first age material if they didn't want to.

12. EddieMann

13. Erik Tracy

14. Including getting Silmarillian content through the backdoor via the LOTR Appendices.

ianuaditis and EddieMann like this.
  15. EddieMann

THAT'S what will happen.

ianuaditis likes this.
  16. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Hopefully the scriptwriters and producers won't feel the need to throw in "tossed dwarf" jokes and other such rot.

Tristero, Jim B. and EddieMann like this.
  17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

You mean like Spider-Man and the X-Men can't hang out with Wolverine because of the different studio licensing? :p

Reading the short piece Vidiot posted, I do not see where the resentment is coming from. The Estate could have cancelled any of those products...if they hadn't already engaged an agent to give permission to do them. You can't complain that somebody is throwing money at you, if you send someone out there with a butterfly net.

This is the same argument I made back when Turner tried colorizing Citizen Kane: just because a colorized version is airing at a place and time when Citizen Kane would have otherwise not be exhibited, that doesn't result in the original material suddenly dissolving in a puff of existential Shrodingerism. Nope - still in the vault...probably sitting right next to a freshly-minted black-and-white copy that also would otherwise not have existed, that they used as a source for the color project.

If you resent the money, there are plenty of places to put it. If you resent the book sales that came out of the movies, maybe the manuscript should have sit in a desk drawer somewhere, right along with noted insurance salesman Charles Ives' compositions.

If you resent that the public has a stylistically-skewed idea of your fathers' works...maybe the flaw was in an unsuccessful storyboards your father had nothing to do with; or he failed to consider that years from then, his work would be re-interpreted for cinema; or the public is just dummies, and that's not your fault either. Or your responsibility. Ya know, there are tons of people out there whose inventions ended up differently than they envisioned. They don't all sit on the mountain of money this property generated.

I do not drive through the Burger King lane expecting to experience the invention of the Earl of Hamburger; I just want an ergonomic method of shoving beef in my mouth, facilitated by a pair of handles made out of bread.

Thus endeth the rant. (wish there were a font I could use that looks like runes).

Chris DeVoe and ianuaditis like this.
  18. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17 Thread Starter

I wonder about that - like there's some stuff in the LOTR, but they couldn't for instance do a whole treatment of the 'Children of Hurin' or 'Tinuviel' which are really the most compelling episodes.

Just because Sam says to Frodo 'this is just like when Beren was in Thangorodrim' and there's a couple of sentences in the appendix doesn't mean that they can then do a full adaptation of that story, does it?
    Þ æ that's the best I got.

19. EddieMann

Why not? Peter Jackson made a billion dollars doing exactly that lol.

20. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I think most people are burned out on Lord Of The Rings..
    6 movies last few were unnecessary.. Amazon is desperate to keep
    the tv brand going. I think netflix will survive with there original shows
    amazon won't.

21. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Love the LOTR films and like The Hobbits but I am not interested in this so far. Plus just imagine all of the time spent watching the characters walking we will get with multiple episodes/seasons.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  22. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Christopher Tolkien's time as the steward of his father's work is coming to an end soon -- he's about to turn 93 years old. But has the estate already been taken out of his hands? I can't imagine he would ever agree to this given everything he's said in the past.

And did the rights to Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit ever revert to the family to be sold again?

23. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

With so many great fantasy stories NOT yet brought to the theater/TV, I can't say I have any thirst for another telling of this.

ianuaditis likes this.
  24. Erik Tracy

Oooh, oooh - I wish that a great adaptation of Michael Moorcock's "Elric" would make the big screen!!

25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I think Tolkien only sold the film rights, not the television rights if that matters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.