Poll: Vote for the Biggest Omission from The Rolling Stones' Hot Rocks compilation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor Thread Starter

Disregarding the fact that some of the choices appeared later on more Hot Rocks, which track do you think is the biggest omission from the Rolling Stones' Hot Rocks compilation? I added some additional singles from the period as choices.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  2. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

The Last Time

Andrew, dbone828, polchik and 5 others like this.
  3. telliott

telliott Senior Member

Don't the 2 Hot Rocks go together, sort of like the Beatles Red and Blue sets even though they werenm't released together?

4. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

The Last Time because it was the best song that had not been included.

5. John Fell

A second volume wasn't planned until after the first one was successful. They originally planned a rarities release but decided after Hot Rocks was successful to split the difference by including some of the better tracks not included on Hot Rocks with some tracks that had not yet appeared on U.S. albums.

I mentioned in the first post to disregard that some of these tracks appeared on More Hot Rocks. Which of the tracks listed deserved to be on Hot Rocks?

telliott likes this.
  6. nojasa

nojasa Forum Resident

Tough call for me. Voted for The Last Time, but She's a Rainbow equally deserves placement, in my view.

The proverbial embarrassment of riches.

7. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Last Time, wanted to vote for Have You Seen Your Mother.. too. Can't disagree with She's A Rainbow either.

bartels76 and DrBeatle like this.
  8. John Fell

Please keep on voting.

9. John54

John54 Senior Member

I'll go along with The Last Time, although Dandelion is a strong contender. I'm also a big fan of Have You Seen Your Mother Baby Standing in the Shadow but I don't remember that one from the '60s so I presume it was a lesser hit if it was one at all. I like Lady Jane quite a bit too ...

10. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Last Time

11. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

The Last Time and She's a Rainbow, the current leaders, would certainly be egregious omissions.

But Dandelion even moreso.

JDeanB and footlooseman like this.
  12. John Fell

Actually many of the tracks on the list charted higher than Play With Fire and Let's Spend The Night Together in the U.S., both of which made the original track listing.

Among those that charted higher in the U.S. and were omitted from Hot Rocks are:

Not Fade Away
    Tell Me
    It's All Over Now
    The Last Time
    Lady Jane
    Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, Standing In The Shadow?
    We Love You
    Dandelion
    She's A Rainbow

footlooseman and nojasa like this.
  13. nuclear_error

nuclear_error Forum Resident

I love them all but for me it comes down to The Last Time or It's All Over Now. For me, It's All Over Now wins by the slimmest of margins but it's the better song

Texastoyz, duggan and RogerB like this.
  14. Mr. Bob Dobalena

Mr. Bob Dobalena Forum Resident

'The Last Time' gets the vote, but there are a lot of strong songs listed. That's why I find More Hot Rocks a more satisfying listen. Covers a lot of bases, and that variety serves it well.

15. John Fell

More Hot Rocks is worth it for the rarities if nothing else.

hutlock, geo50000 and RogerB like this.
  16. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

She's a Rainbow, for me.

17. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I voted for "It's All Over Now" although my personal selection would be "We Love You".

18. John Fell

Another interesting note is that I Wanna Be Your Man and Little Red Rooster were not included on More Hot Rocks either as they were not released as singles in the U.S.

alchemy likes this.
  19. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Hard to pick. I am lucky to have the quickly withdrawn, mistakenly mastered & released Hot Rocks with the alternate takes of Wild Horses & Brown Sugar. Love that Wild Horses mix best.

So I vote for that just as a treat for all to hear! This is the alt take that was mastered for the withdrawn mix...as we have heard in the doc "Gimme Shelter"...really fine, and Mick seams to like it too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    hi_watt, RogerB and John Fell like this.
  20. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

John you're asking me to pick which one of my kids I like better! Impossible task! All are deserving. I have a special place in my heart for Tell Me, the first Jagger/Richard hit.

But I voted It's All Over Now. Killer song and performance by the boys!!!

Thanks John for this episode of anxiety! Ha

GerryO likes this.
  21. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

We Love You.

Probably their most important single inbetween Satisfaction and JJF.

BryanW and Easy-E like this.
  22. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

She's a Rainbow....so the 'Satanic' era could be represented.

23. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Looking at the list the first song that jumped into my head was The Last Time. I momentarily paused at Little Red Rooster but I went with the consensus (thus far) on this one.

hutlock likes this.
  24. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Have You Sern Your Mother Baby, Standing in the Shadow?

Davido and JoeRockhead like this.
  25. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Unpopular opinion: "Midnight Rambler" should have been dropped in favor of "The Last Time", "Have You Seen Your Mother" and...maybe "She's A Rainbow"?

I know MR is a fan favorite, but a 9-minute live "blues opera" is kind of out of place amidst the rest of the tracks, and vinyl running time was precious for a band who'd accumulated so many huge hits by 1971. That song appeals to blues geeks and big Stones fans who probably already owned it...but probably less so to casual fans just looking for the songs they knew.

I do get it in the context of vinyl configuration...it's chronological, and splitting the LPs where they did makes total sense. But having only ever heard the Stones on CD until about 10 years ago, it always felt like an odd choice.

Chance, KevinP, Larry Geller and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.