The Pre-War Blues and Country Music thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J.A.W., Sep 4, 2015.

1. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I'm talking about the releases that are being bootlegged on vinyl, which are not recent releases like that one. People buying those "bootleg" vinyl Yazoos are expecting analogue mastering, like the originals. Most likely they are mastered from the common CD releases. I have the Skip James "bootleg" 180g vinyl, and I'm sure that's the case.

Mark J likes this.
  2. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Yazoo CDs have not been bootlegged.

Mark J likes this.
  3. Jerry

I'm expecting this Frog release to hit my mailbox this week.

[​IMG]
    CHARLIE McCOY - Last Time Blues
    TOMMY JOHNSON - Cool Drink Of Water Blues
    JOHNNIE TEMPLE - Lead Pencil Blues (It Just Won't Write)
    CHARLIE McCOY - That Lonesome Train That Took My Baby Away
    MISSISSIPPI MUD STEPPERS - Jackson Stomp
    ALEC JOHNSON - Miss Meal Cramp
    CURTIS JONES - Palace Blues
    JACKSON BLUE BOYS - Hidin' On Me Sweet Alberta
    WILL WELDON - Gonna Take My Time
    CHARLIE McCOY (PAPA CHARLIE'S BOYS) - Gypsy Woman Blues
    HARLEM HAMFATS - Oh! Red
    SONNY BOY WILLIAMSON - Black Panther Blues
    CHARLIE McCOY (PAPA CHARLIE'S BOYS) - Too Long
    BO CARTER - East Jackson Blues
    ISHMON BRACEY - Leavin' Town Blues
    MISSISSIPPI BLACK SNAKES - Blue Sky Blues
    CHARLIE McCOY (THE MISSISSIPPI MUDDER) - Candy Man Blues
    MEMPHIS MINNIE - Long As I Can See You Smile
    CHARLIE McCOY AND BO CARTER - Corrine Corrina
    CHARLIE McCOY (THE MISSISSIPPI MUDDER) - Charity Blues
    WALTER VINSON - It's Gonna Stare You In The Face
    MONKEY JOE - Preach, Pray And Moan
    KANSAS JOE McCOY - Dresser Drawer Blues
    CHARLIE McCOY (THE MISSISSIPPI MUDDER) - Motherless & Fatherless
    MISSISSIPPI MUD STEPPERS - Sunset Waltz.

4. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

Excellent

5. signothetimes53

This isn't a Frog release, it's from the now-defunct Nehi label (which was a creation of at least some of the principals behind the old Catfish reissue label).

Frog Records bought the existing stock when Nehi went out of business, and is liquidating that stock through the Frog website.

It's a nice compilation of songs, but the sonic qualities, while good, aren't quite up to Frog's standards for its own products.

Jerry likes this.
  6. Jerry

Good thing it was cheap!

signothetimes53 likes this.
  7. Mark J

Mark J Senior Member

That is a two CD set with large size case and glossy color booklet, it would probably be expensive to bootleg. I'm actually surprised the early Yahoo CDs that duplicated the LPs haven't been bootlegged since many have been out of print since the mid 1990s and sell for large sums used (like Alabama Blues and Frank Stokes Dream). Those early Yazoo CDs are great, only wish I bought them all before they went out of print. I used to see them all the time at Tower Records but my listening focus was on Memphis and Mississippi at the time so I missed many.

8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I have a bunch of Carr lp's on Magpie vinyl. Incredible sound and performances.

9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Just got these, and they are incredible. #4 is over 170 pages, and #5 over 200 pages. Beautiful, thick books with more information, pictures and stories then you will ever be able to finish. Any person who is enjoying and contributing to this thread would be hard pressed to find any other publications that are so lovingly put together about this music.

Oh, and if that wasn't enough the cd's that come with them have 27 and 26 cuts, respectively. Incredible music, too, of course.

10. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

What about cajun music? My favourite is the husband and wife duo Cleoma Breaux & Joe Falcon. They made recordings in the late 20s and 30s and sung in Cajun French of course. Unfortunately very little has been released on vinyl (there's one LP under Cleoma's name called "A Cajun Music Classic" from the mysterious Jadfel label, which I guess doesn't have any songs sung by Joe), and even with CDs the only option seems to be a various artists box set (Cajun Early Recordings from JSP).

ruben lopez and a sound painter like this.
  11. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Ralph Stanley And The Clinch Mountain Boys - "Man Of Constant Sorrow"
    [​IMG]

Spadeygrove likes this.
  12. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Where is the best place price wise to get these? Frog's own site? I know they are expensive. They look very nice but I've not seen an actual copy yet? Any U.S. seller?

13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I ordered from their website. Amazon and affiliated sellers of theirs have it also.

Reader likes this.
  14. Imagine70

Imagine70 Forum Resident

Jerry likes this.
  15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict Thread Starter

16. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Diggin' deep reaps kind rewards. Post yer fave artists and/or yootoob links here.

I'll start.

Exile On My Street likes this.
  17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I am looking for a new primary care doctor. Is Dr. Stanley taking new patients?

Fender Relic and mike65! like this.
  18. a sound painter

a sound painter The no drama drumma

Been getting into a lot of early Cajun music myself lately over the last couple of years, and the Falcons are one of my absolute favourites as well. Another all time favourite of mine is Blind Uncle Gaspard, well worth looking into with a CD on Yazoo still readily available. Also really love Amedie Ardoin, Dennis McGee and Leo Soileau.

Looking for CDs is tricky these days, even that great set you mentioned is out of print and going for hundreds! I just got a great CD from Trikont called "Prends Donc Courage", with a track listing split between Cleoma Breaux and Amedie Ardoin. This is handy as it's quite difficult to find either of their work, and the song selection, while nowhere near being complete, is uniformly excellent. It has "Leve Tes Fenêtres Haut", a phenomenal performance from Cleoma, as well as "Lulu Revenue Dans La Village", a song totally unparalleled and unique in her canon. The Ardoin selections are equally strong and varied, including songs like the totally unhinged and spine tingling "Madame Etienne", the get down goodness of "Two Step D'Eunice" and "Quoi Faire", and the uniquely nuanced "Valse De La Pointe D'Eglise". This disc is honestly invaluable and overflowing with wonderful music.

If you're looking for other quality early Cajun music, Fremeaux & Associes has a two disc collection called "Cajun: Louisiane 1928-1939" with a very commendable assortment of the stars and some lesser known but equally intriguing musicians. Both Soileau and McGee also have excellent dedicated compilations on Yazoo which are worth your time as well. Finally, if you are into other types of early ethnic music, "Hot Women - Women Singers from the Torrid Regions of the World complied by Robert Crumb" leads off with what may very well be my favourite Cleoma Breaux track called "Blues Negres".

Sorry to rant and rave a bit there, but this has really become a love of mine lately, there's a lot of very raw and beautiful early Cajun music, though it really isn't being served well in any commercial format at the moment. Happy listening!

PonceDeLeroy and Silksashbash like this.
  19. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

Thanks for all this information, I'll have to take time and check all that out. I see the Trikont CD is actually a coupling of the "A Cajun Music Classic" LP and the Amédé Ardoin edition of Arhoolie's "Louisiana Cajun Music" LP series, the same running orders and all. Yes, great tracks the ones you mentioned. Cleoma's take of "It's A Sin To Tell A Lie" (C'est un péché de dire une menterie) is also beautiful.

a sound painter likes this.
  20. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Take one banjo and call me in the morning.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  21. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

A few weeks ago at GW I picked up a vinyl copy of Going Down The Valley-Vocal and Instrumental Styles in Folk Music from the South... New World 236 mono. 1977 Recorded Anthology of American Music Inc.. Just getting around to spinning this morning. Kickin' it Harry Smith style. Great stuff,mastering by Lee Hulko.

22. signothetimes53

I just saw this question from last summer.

Which Paramount take of "Match Box Blues" are you seeking, -2 or -4 (which according to what I read, are the two takes that were issued by Paramount 90 years ago)?

Blues Images/John Tefteller reissued one of the takes in superior sonic quality in its 2010 calendar, and the CD is still available. However, it does not appear that he indicated on the liner notes which take he reissued.

Order Blues Images Classic Blues Songs from the 1920's CD Volume 6

23. signothetimes53

I have dug out my Blues Images Vol. 7 CD and confirmed that it is Paramount take 4, which was also reissued on Yazoo 1069 and Yazoo 2057.

I presume you are seeking Paramount take 2, and I'm not able to identify that a sonically-superior reissue of that take exists.

24. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Thankyou for that!

Yes, I've had no luck finding a better version also. I have however suggested to John Tefteller that the -2 version should be included on an upcoming Blues Images CD :)

signothetimes53 likes this.
  25. signothetimes53

I corresponded directly with John Tefteller this afternoon to ask him which take was used, and he said he did not know, he said that he used Richard Nevins' copy. So I dug up all 3 releases (Blues Images Vol. 7, and both Yazoos) and each time, it was the same take, which Stefan Wirz' discography shows is take 4.

Go to 'American Music' and click on Blind Lemon Jefferson, and scroll down until you find the Yazoo reissues for that info.

Boswell and Laservampire like this.