Bob Dylan Fall Tour 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Radio, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

From the limited Boots to have emerged to date, I think this leg has potential to be the best in many a year and has the spirit of the revered Fall 02 about it to my ears with an abundance of reinvention, freshness and a distinctive, admirable energy.

jumpinjulian, RockRoom and smoke like this.
  2. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I just listened again to my Richmond 2015 boot, and while I thoroughly enjoyed that performance, Richmond 2017 was even better. He does sound rejuvenated to my ears.

3. JudasPriest

The boot of Washington (last night) is already out there and sounds excellent. Here's a YouTube link...

4. JudasPriest

Sorry, for some reason I can't put up the link but just YouTube "Bob Dylan Washington 2017" and take a listen- really nice sound and wonderful performance.

5. clgoss77

clgoss77 Forum Resident

I was there last night in DC and I thought the show was fantastic. I've seen Bob two times previously: on the '99 tour with Paul Simon and again around '02. I don't know if it's the arrangements, or the band, or what, but Bob seemed much more invigorated and animated than in the past. The band was amazing, but I was really surprised at how prominent and propulsive Bob's piano playing was throughout the night. I also swear I saw him crack a grin a few times at certain guitar licks, etc. His singing was also better, IMO, than the last two times I saw him (I get the impression that digging into the Sinatra standards has helped him refocus on this.) Overall the new arrangement of Thunder On The Mountain was a major highlight for me. Also loved Early Roman Kings. Desolation Row and Ballad of a Thin Man were, of course, phenomenal.

[​IMG]

6. zen archer

zen archer Forum Resident

Went to the Boston show last night. Half way thru Desolation Row there was a mass exodus. I couldn't believe it.
    We had aisle seats at Row O. During that song a long line of people were walking up the aisle like ants. People can't sit still, all night we had to stand up to let people in/out.
    It was like a Red Sox/Yankee game where people get up every half inning to buy beer. I even joked with one guy and put my hand out and told him it was a $2 toll.

Dylan was in great voice, sang like an Angel! I really enjoyed the show but my wife didn't recognize Tangled Up In Blue. Crowd was very diverse, lot's of dad's with their sons.
    Families with young children. It was great to see.

Our Babysitter a senior in high school never heard of Bob Dylan!

adamos and Radio like this.
  7. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Mostly from the same people who'd been shouting at him all night to play an older song!

8. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Thanks for that! I’ve seen Bob more than many (26x), but not much in recent years - he’s rarely been close to me. I’ve wanted to see one of “the set”, as I’d enjoy the focus on latter-day material (though not the Frank stuff), but just haven’t. The one recent show I did see was Desert Trip 1, and that was pretty similar to the tours I had seen...

Enjoyed DC just now on an off day from work. :righton:

9. clgoss77

clgoss77 Forum Resident

I'm still blown away by how well this audience recording turned out. Sounds just like it did at The Anthem a few nights ago.

10. Dan33185

Dan33185 Dylan/Cohen/Adams/T. Buckley/Holly

People talk like leaving a Dylan show is a new thing. Watch documentaries (No Direction Home, Don't Look Back) about his tours in the mid 60's and you'll see people being interviewed as they are leaving his show that's still going on in the background. Just not sure why anyone would go into a Dylan show in 2017 and not know what they're getting into...2 minutes on Youtube and you can find plenty of videos of what he sounds like today and what his song selection is. The fans who leave only have themselves to blame, not Dylan.

11. Gabe Walters

I don't think that's true.
    Seen 'em! Think his shows in 2017 are an entirely different beast, though.
    Totally agreed. Though it may not be unexpected for people to leave shows early, it is inexplicable that they will pay $90 a head without knowing what they are paying for, and then to leave early or talk or walk throughout the show. Just baffling. And a complete let down for those of us who are there to enjoy the experience.

12. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

I agree I was at both shows too. His voice was much better this time IMHO.

Gabe Walters likes this.
  13. Dan33185

Yes and no. People going to a show when he was doing the half acoustic/half electric set were probably shocked after intermission and walked out because of that. I'm sure a lot of people going in today expect him to sound similar to the records from the 60's & 70's, and to sing his greatest hits. When he starts singing Sinatra and 2 or 3 songs released pre-2000, they walk out. He's always gone against expectations in the 50+ years he's been touring, and people are still somehow surprised when he doesn't do what they want.

14. Gabe Walters

You think people are still surprised by this in the age of the intarwebz? I guess some could be, but I agree with you that it's on them.

Dan33185 likes this.
  15. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

Bob Dylan makes it on to some people's "bucket list" because he is an icon and now he's an icon with a Nobel prize and so they go down to the show. They don't necessarily know much about his history of live performance or what he sounds like in the present day. Yes, a quick YouTube search might inform them but they're not going to do that. And they end up at the show with a set of expectations that do not line up with reality. But this is not a 2017 phenomenon. I recall going to a Bob show in Doswell VA in 1989 and the people next to me left because Bob did not speak between songs. Years later in Toronto in 2012, with many there because Knopfler was on the bill, many were upset by Bob's performance because it did not meet expectations. Bob doesn't cater to the casual fan. And this leads to many confused, and often, disappointed, attendees.

duggan, RockRoom and smoke like this.
  16. zen archer

zen archer Forum Resident

I was surprised only because it was Boston and smack dab in the middle of Boston University. I lived in Boston my whole life and I have never seen the apathy that I have witnessed
    in recent years at concerts. I think it's a sign of the times more than anything to do with Dylan. One McCartney show I attended a guy in front of me stared at his cell phone the whole show.

Benno123 likes this.
  17. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I don’t get that, why pay all that $$$ to do what you can do at home? Of course at the theater last Sunday seeing Casablanca the same thing happened. To me checking the time on your phone quickly is one thing, like looking at a watch, but playing on your phone the whole show/movie is disrespectful to those around you.

Jimmy B., mrjinks and zen archer like this.
  18. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

I went with a fairly large group on 1989 and we were about equally split on whether it was great or garbage. 2017 find a very challenging show for someone who only has a couple greatest hits collections. Almost all touring acts of that vintage present a reliable collection of the hits, done faithfully to the original releases. To be fair, most of them have to do it that way or their audiences wouldn't come, at least not in the numbers they are looking for, but Dylan has enough fans looking for a more musically dynamic evening to play the mostly smaller venues he seems content with. Based on the recordings their patience is being rewarded in spades this time around.

mark ab and stewedandkeefed like this.
  19. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I have not heard any tapes from this tour but keep half an eye on the set lists. I went to 2 UK shows earlier this year. I saw Bob played the Palace Theatre last night and compared the set list to 14th October 1994 when I saw Bob at the same venue. It was full then I believe. Bit of a different set list then! Are these current shows selling out? Some venues are over 10,000 in size.

20. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

I went to the Buffalo show last night. I was right above Bob seated in the balcony. The crowd of 3,000 was respectful and focused on the performance. Bob was in white jacket and black pants with the white stripe down the side. I will second the feeling expressed in other reviews that Bob is channeling his inner Little Richard when at the grand piano. He pushes the mic boom away prior to when he stands to pound out rock and roll riffs on the blacks and whites. He is having a good time. Vocally he sounds as good as I have heard him sound in the last 10-15 years. I believe that the focus on a static set list has allowed Bob to really put all he's got into each performance by trial and error and inventiveness with counter melodies on the piano and with his rearranged vocal melodies.

Highlights for me were a beautifully rendered 'It Aint Me Babe', 'Trying To Get To Heaven', Autumn Leaves, a sinister arrangement of 'Pay In Blood' and one of the finest 'Desolation Row's I have had the privilege to see live. After witnessing a few hit and miss performances the last couple of years last nights show illustrates Bob's constant reinvention and proves he is fully invested in these concerts. Fall 17 is definitely a great time for Bob and Band. Kudos to the band for their unwavering support and tasteful playing. If you can catch Dylan on this round, go do it!

21. Dan33185

I can only speak for the concert I went to, but at Xcel in St. Paul, they had the upper part of the arena closed off, so capacity would probably be about half of what the building allows normally. I would say there were very few empty seats though.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  22. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I went to opening night of the Beacon Theater tonight. It was a great show and Bob was in fine form. My highlight was (surprisingly?) "Full Moon and Empty Arms." It was stunning............(I can use that word with old-time songs).

I liked most of the new arrangements he was using except for "Tangled Up In Blue"..........it kind of sounded weird at the "tangled up in blue."

adamos and jlf like this.
  23. sbeaupre

sbeaupre Everything must go

I passed on the Boston show because of the venue. Agannis is referred to as a "multi-purpose arena," which roughly translates as "hockey rink." It seats 7,200, making it just big enough to attract curiosity seekers. It also doesn't help that it's part of the Boston University campus, which adds to the odds that a certain percentage of the audience is going to be there because, well, it's something to do. I saw Roxy Music there in the early 90s. Never again. It would have been ideal if he did a multiple night run at the Orpheum -- at 2,700 seats, it's similar in size to the Beacon -- but that wasn't in the cards. If he had, the walk-outs would have been limited, if non-existent, and the beer tent atmosphere would have been replaced by something more fitting to the occasion.

Gabe Walters and zen archer like this.
  24. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

You don't happen to remember what time Bob hit the stage, do you? I'm going tonight and will be making a mad dash from a school-related thing to the show. Thanks!

25. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Sorry.......forgot exactly when Bob came on. I only remember Mavis was 7:30 - 8:15.

Bob was on before 9:00 (could've been 8:45ish). show was over a little after 10:00.

JuanTCB likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.