All the Money in the World

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by townsend, Sep 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

So will a lot of other people. This snafu will probably boost the opening take.

willy and mmars982 like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yea...: )

3. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Let's face it, many more people have heard of this film now. I had not heard of it at all before the scandal broke. This is just good business sense on Sony's part, even if it's going to be crashed into its opening date. My hunch is that they will definitely see their money back. This is like doing exterior work on your house before selling it.

Dan

4. townsend

townsend Senior Member Thread Starter

It's rather sad for everybody who is in and worked on the movie (except Spacey, of course), to have put in all the hard work and long hours/days/weeks, and now they have to go to great lengths to salvage it for Xmas season. Just think if your pay was a "percentage" of the profits . . .

Vidiot and Zoot Marimba like this.
  5. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I wonder if this may sell more tickets than they would have if the Spacey scandal didn't come to the surface.

Michael likes this.
  6. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

As for myself, I’m sticking with the original ABC Weekend Special, thank you very much.

Simon A likes this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

curiosity...yes I can imagine that.

8. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Yeah, those cats have gotta be making Michael Mann editor post-production money. I'm sure Vidiot knows what I mean!

I too feel Christopher Plummer should have gotten the role to begin with - he's perfect, and I hope he gets an Oscar nom to really rub it in.

I had two unpleasant interactions with Spacey. One at Chateau Marmot, the other on set. And Bryan Singer was there. And lots of "assistants".

As I was working on the production, I asked one of Spacey/Singer's "assistants" (there were many young men on set with that quasi-title). I spoke to one - as I was hustling, I asked what he did on the production.

"I work for Mr. Spacey and Mr. Singer.."

Me: "Oh great, yes I know that - but what do you do??"

"I - uh.. I work for Mr. Spacey and Mr Singer"

Me: "Yes, I REALIZE that, see me working, gotta round up background for next shot while doing this other thing, so what do you do??"

"
    I work for..."

They didn't even have a pat line to throw out to the working production team.

It was recommended to me to stop my obvious line of questioning. I was told you know what they do, so stop asking. They said if I continue the questioning, you will come off as homophobic." This was '99 and yeah - the powers that be were right, I would have come off that way.

What makes me sick is Bryan Singer (as of this writing) is directing the official Queen movie! He deleted his Twitter this past week. I cannot imaging anyone backing this film (or bonding it) - and Singer has the potential to forever destroy the Queen image. Freddie was not Bryan. I hope they swap him out quickly, or shut this down. Oysh!

Jeff

Vidiot likes this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Gee, the right answer would be, "I'm Mr. such-and-such's executive assistant." I wonder how hard that would've been to say?

There are some awful scandals just building. What we've seen so far in Tinsletown is the tip of the iceberg. Me, I'm just a workin' guy who turns knobs for a living. No scandals, no drugs, just work.

There's an old saying about wealth & fame: "money and celebrity doesn't change you. What it does is enable you to become who you really are deep inside." So it's possible a lot of these bad people might have kept their true selves hidden had they never gotten famous or made a lot of money. (Spacey is worth $100M according to CelebrityNetWorth.com, so he doesn't really have to ever work again.)

10. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I think that very few people that possessed some significant and unusually great talent in any area can be completely “normal”. Moreover, very few can keep sane mind when big fame, money and the showbiz roller coaster struck them (especially when they were not “normal” even before that)

Of course everyone who committed crime have to be prosecuted and punished according the law, but I think that it’s not very wise the accomplishments of some great artists, writers, musicians or scientist to be dismissed and wiped out because of their personalities were twisted and morally not fit – if we go this way, we have to destroy half (or more) of our cultural heritage.

11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

If you can't keep you s**t together when you become rich and powerful, the it was probably never in your character to be able to do so. As Michelle said so well "being president doesn't change who you are, it reveals who you are". Absolutely true, for any station of high prominence.

townsend, Vidiot and delmonaco like this.
  12. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Correct, the money and power are giving you the opportunity to fully express what's inside you (good or bad), but also, together with the fame and all those people that's surrounds you and makes you feel as a God, your personality changes further...(sadly, it's just my theoretical tough, I wish to be able to experience this phenomena first hand..;)

Deesky likes this.
  13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, this is doubly so if you hit it big in childhood, getting everything handed to you and are endlessly praised by sycophants, etc, then the person's character can become very badly skewed if not 'corrected' by grounded parenting.

Vidiot and delmonaco like this.
  14. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Tell me about it - I'm in a constant fight with the mother of my 7 Y.O. boy - she spoils him badly, while I'm doing my best to "correct" him...still, I believe we manage to keep some balance, the kid is kind a ok..thanks to me he's aware that the world is not such a nice and carefree place..:)

Sorry, I gone far off-topic I believe.

15. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Is the studio afraid that the film will bomb because Spacey is in it? Else why the reshoot? Overreaction.

16. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Because it is not hysteria; it's more of an awakening.

17. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Awakening from the illusion that Hollywood is the most virtuous and morally pure place on earth?

Dudley Morris likes this.
  18. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I am not that naive but was surprised at the scope. While some might say as a young starlet she (or he) should expect the casting couch ritual and maybe so. But if the stories are to be believed, no one is spared from unwanted abuse including lowly office employees.

19. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I hope that there will be some development in all these stories. Either the victims that made allegation to officially/legally accuse someone, or the other way round - the accused to clear their names in the same manner. As of now, it looks like the big players/studios are aware of much more and much terrible stories, that can be actually proven, but as if they prefer to keep this whole issue in the realm of unsupported allegations, silly excuses, and moral punishment.

20. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

It's funny, I work in telecom. I remember when Human Resources started pushing sexual harassment education. They came into our garages and made us clean up our act; which essentially meant to not oogle or make unwanted advancements to women and we had to take down our Playboy and Hooters calendars. All in a garage full of working men with not a woman in sight. This was in the mid 90s.

Apparently, the more powerful men, who are able to use their positions as leverage, missed their training. How is this even a thing in 2017? What's being exposed today isn't even the worst of it..... wait until nurses start speaking up, if they ever do.

Deesky and delmonaco like this.
  21. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I had two very good interactions with Kevin Spacey, albeit not industry-related directly, in 1996. It's a long story. I did have a unpleasant experience with one of his handlers, but I chalked it up to KS protecting his privacy. He managed to stay out of the tabloids mostly, which is part of the reason I liked him so much.

What was eye-opening was the legal matters concerning Bryan Singer's Apt Pupil quite a few years ago. That was my first indication that there was an "underworld" of sexual deviants in Hollywood. Stories I heard involved "name directors and producers"....hmmm, "bet I have heard some of these guys," I thought.
    But, I never followed up. Then, the Spacey thing exploded. I really couldn't believe it.

Then, I watched An Open Secret on Vimeo a few days ago. Whoa. Watch it if it's still up there. It's from 2014, I think. It's a documentary that appears to be an expose about sexual abuse, particularly of young boys, in the entertainment biz. That it has been all but squashed leads me to believe that lots more houses of cards will soon be falling(it does not say anything about Spacey, though).

Dan

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think "deviants" is a rough word, but I think there's harassment of many different persuasions in Hollywood. If it were a crime to be temperamental, cruel, and abusive, I think at least 35% of the directors and producers in Hollywood would be in jail. There's a lot of bad-tempered, nasty people out there. And there are times I believe the kind, nice, cooperative people are in the minority.

I worked a little bit on Apt Pupil and I know the entire story. Short version: an assistant director on the film got some underage teenagers to be in the locker room for a couple of days of shooting. When the boys got to the set, they were informed there was to be nudity, which they had not been told in advance. Most agreed to do it, some didn't and walked off. The scene was shot without much of an incident, and the final shots in the film did not show anybody fully naked (except very brief glimpses from a distance that nobody would object to). During the legal investigation, they examined all the footage shot and it was determined that some people were, in fact, naked, but they didn't have much of a claim since they weren't seen in the final film. I would chalk this up as "sleazy but not illegal." (I believe the AD was later found to be a registered sex offender, which made it impossible for him to get further work.)

I have worked with all kinds of people -- straight, gay, and otherwise -- and there's wackos and nuts among all of them. The vast majority have generally been nice people, and I'd say 90% of them were extremely focused on making their TV shows and films as good as they possibly could. That's really all they cared about. Getting laid or hurting people was not part of the equation at all. On the other hand, as Howard Stern said recently, "how is is possible for Harvey Weinstein to get any movies made in Hollywood if he was so busy harassing women?"

23. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

An Open Secret goes into some detail about Marty Weiss. I don't want to argue semantics, but I'm sure we could agree that a guy in his 50's grooming teen boys and engaging in predatory behavior with them deserves a certain type of language. One cannot say "lifestyle choice" or "consenting adults" in this case. And yes, the names of Bryan Singer, Brian Peck, Randal Kleiser, and David Geffen are all mentioned at one point.

An Open Secret - Wikipedia

Most of my coworkers in New York are professionals, but there has been some weirdness. Everyone I know in LA is also super nice(even if it's a sort of LA nice, no offense). However, seems like you never really know someone, and you certainly cannot from a cursory meeting(as I had with KS).

Dan

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    Vidiot and budwhite like this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

25. I worked on a few re-shoots & they were always interesting, but this just might take the cake. Can't wait to see the finished movie...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.