Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

This set is quite crank able, at least on my system. Sound is better than I expected and in seconds you don't really care as the performances draw you in.

2. Craig's Story

Craig's Story Forum Resident

Thanks , I have heard great reports about the performances and little about the sound
    Is San Diego really that good ? Being in Canada it is going to cost me about $80 more

bonus likes this.
  3. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Did Moses focus on God's handwriting when he came down from the mountain with the tablets with the 15 commandments? Or was the message the important part?

IMO, the cassettes sources sound fine, and the multi-track sources (more than half the box) sound great.

4. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

I don't even know why they cautioned about the sound quality as a disclaimer in the booklet. I think all of it sounds great. Just about as good as any live recordings I've ever heard from 70s-80s. I know some people here have complained about the audio quality, but I just have no idea what they were expecting. Maybe they can hear specific stuff I have no way of hearing.

5. Craig's Story

Thanks good to know

6. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I agree. It all sounds very good to me, and the multi-track stuff and studio outtakes sound superb. It's nothing like the rough stuff on the Basement Tapes set.

L.

7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I know it's an added expense. San Diego is very good. . . but so is Toronto, Earl's Court, and the excerpted tracks from other concerts. To be honest San Diego is like extra gravy on a hearty meal that stands well on its own.

The Bard likes this.
  8. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

You can hear tape hiss on a lot of songs. Doesn't bother me; I was glad to hear it as a sign they didn't overprocess anything. But I understand them adding a disclaimer since tape hiss is an artifact you don't hear on too many CDs these days.

Craig's Story and DeeThomaz like this.
  9. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

I never disagree with transparency.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  10. Craig's Story

A little extra gravy plus $80 sounds like “a heart attack machine strapped across my shoulders”.

11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

There is a good reason that no books since Gutenberg had brown print on a black background, until book design was turned over to graphic artists in CD sets rather than book editors. No one could read it, and no one will. A wasted effort.

12. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

Well I can hear that too, but it's to be expected, I think. I guess I'm glad that they pointed it out, but they didn't have to.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

And in my house, I can hear the refrigerator throughout the house. Try unplugging machines with compressors in your house and you'll hear the difference. I can also hear the tire noise from the highway 2 miles away. Check out the difference at 3AM.

My point is there is so much ambient noise that fussing over tape hiss or other audio trivialities is really not meaningful (unless you prefer to listen to music with no refrigerator working and no other sources of sound in the environment)

majorlance, C6H12O6 and ssmith3046 like this.
  14. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

This is true. I'd rather have the A/C humming than sweating my ass off for less ambient noise.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  15. DeeThomaz

As a Minnesotan, oh yes. Contrary to our reputation, summers are unbearable.

CBackley likes this.
  16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That's the choice most of us make, maybe not about A/C, but about the noisy machines in our lives.

I remember the beautiful silence of the Northeastern US blackout some years ago. People forgot about the machines, the computers, and gathered on front porches all over and talked to each other.

17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Even Hawaiians get depressed about the weather. Nothing ever changes.

On the other hand, I have found Minnesotans themselves to be very bearable.

Bryce, S. P. Honeybunch and DeeThomaz like this.
  18. DeeThomaz

My sister lives in Hawaii and can confirm this. Can't say I have a tremendous amount of sympathy. I try (but I can be sorta unbearable at time too, though).

Sean Murdock likes this.
  19. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

What's so bad about the weather in Hawaii?

20. DeeThomaz

Mostly, they have perfect weather always (aside from the occasional torrential rainstorm). Must get boring. To make it more on-topic "But I'm used to four seasons/ [Hawaii] has but one."

majorlance likes this.
  21. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Seriously. Either way, it fits the theme as well as "Caribbean Wind" does, which I don't particularly see as a "religious" song. Oh well, as Dee said the other day, complaints about this song or that track not being included are driven more by fear that they'll be passed over for all time. In the case of "Angelina," maybe it can pop up in a future "Eighties" Bootleg Series.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  22. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

His CYA quick thinking was the important part lol.

CBackley and RayS like this.
  23. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I wish they would release 2 of these sets a year! Can’t get enough of the bootleg series!!!

siveld, Bryce, hodgo and 5 others like this.
  24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Ive only listened to the San Diego disc so far. Having been a collector of Dylan concerts from all eras Im a bit disappointed in the balance. Im not sure a whole lot was done (or maybe could be done) as far as mixing this concert. The vocal performance, nuances etc in Dylans voice are of course great. Its also nice to have a soundboard of a concert I havent heard. Most times though if I had a choice between a soundboard and a great audience recording, Id pick the later.

Soundboards have this vacuous sound to them more than not. You dont get the sense of much ambience of the venue or the excitement from the crowd. Sounds somewhat empty. Still, I guess it is what it is. Im glad to have it, but Im not blown away by any means as far as the sound quality.

Craig's Story likes this.
  25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I have never seen where it takes something bad for people to complain or grumble. I definitely know people who have lived in Hawaii for many years who complain that they like the changing seasons of the north, that they prefer a life style that varies with the weather.

One guy from Hawaii wanted change so much, he moved to Chicago.