The greatest consumer cassette tape deck ever produced?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cowboy Kim, Feb 3, 2017.

1. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

That's what you get with the generic Chinese cassette mechanism that is being manufactured these days. Tascam's specs aren't any better than that of a $100 ION or Pyle cassette deck using the same mechanism.

GuildX700 and sunspot42 like this.
  2. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

Yes, but not good three head models. There is one at my local mall. A dubbing deck with only Dolby B. And they are not built as well as they used to. Back in 1985 I had an Hitachi $170 machine that was built like a tank with VU meters. Even at that price it was well built. Made a lot of good tapes on those. But I miss my Nak 581. I loved her..

3. john morris

Did you say 50 - 12 500hz!? Even the cheapest $100 machine back in 1980 could do better than that. This is more of the frequency response of a 8 track cassette unit. No, they are better than this. How can they put this piece of crap on the market? I purchased a Sony cassette deck (new) a few years ago. It's no Nak but it makes a pretty good tape. And it has B and C. I have a lot of band demos on cassette (don't ask).

nosliw and sunspot42 like this.
  4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

None of the cassette deck makers will dust off their state-of-the-art cassette deck designs and crank up production again unless they see clear signs that cassette tape is making a massive comeback ...

john morris, nosliw and sunspot42 like this.
  5. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Can't see that happening. I think for people getting into it is just a novelty.

nosliw likes this.
  6. coopmv

Strongly :agree:

nosliw likes this.
  7. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

I started reading this thread so I walked over to see what cassette player I have in my living room system (a JVC TD-V621) and decided to start listening to some of my collection of .25 thrift store cassettes.

Thanks

Chad

Not my actual player.

[​IMG]

8. coopmv

Not too shabby?

9. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

C'mon guys, you are overdoing it! You almost convinced me to look for a cassette deck in 2017, again! No way... who knows...

10. coopmv

Back to the past. It is so nostalgic ... :righton:

Jimi Floyd likes this.
  11. Jimi Floyd

Don't tell me this, I used to swim into my sea of cassettes, any brand, any type, any colour...

12. coopmv

And you had a few iconic European-made cassette decks?

Philips, Telefunken or Grundig? How about a Tandberg?

13. Jimi Floyd

You got it, my first real love affair was a Philips stereo cassette deck. I had some mono light sex before with Sanyo, but I was a kid then. Growing up I met Pioneer but after that I really became adult with TEAC.

14. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

It's a good player. I got it at Goodwill for $14.99. I passed it by at first because it was JVC and I was more familiar with their lower end stuff. On second thought, I decided that it looked pretty good and Googled it. After I read up on it I decided to stick in my cart and buy it.

Chad

15. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

This thread has taught me that many photos of great cassette decks can be posted...but a true knowledge, understanding, and appreciation of analog cassettes, cassette decks, and their capabilities elude some people.

And that's fine.

16. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

JVC has some outstanding top of the line decks in their latter cassette deck days.

The JVC TDV 1010 and TDV 1050 were probably their best ever decks, both were excellent.
    JVC TD-V1010 - Manual - Stereo Cassette Deck - HiFi Engine

JVC TD-V1050 - Manual - Stereo Cassette Deck - HiFi Engine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bhob, Dave, john morris and 3 others like this.
  17. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Since your above it all you surly won't mind if I ignore you forever...bye.

18. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

And here's my current tape deck, the Technics RS-B605:

[​IMG]

19. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing.

john morris likes this.
  20. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

jfbar167 and john morris like this.
  21. coopmv

You are unquestionably the Mr. JVC. :righton:

DRM and john morris like this.
  22. coopmv

Philips cassette decks were hard to find in the States back in the day, used or new ...

23. john morris

Oh really? Well, we shall see about that. I have a plan. I will protest. I will eat chocolate pudding endlessly until the cassette is returned to it's former glory. And if that doesn't work I will take the letter "Y" hostage. I understand it's sometimes a vowel.

Seriously though. O.k. I don't expect new cassette machines to be 20hz - 20Khz +-3db and have a wow and flutter rating of 0.05% but 50 -12 000hz +-4db and 0.3%?!! They don't need to bring out their top models to avoid this ultra-low spec shenanigans.
    If they can't manage at least 40 - 15 000hz +-3db and 0.08%, then they shouldn't even bother.

24. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

It wouldn't matter as the transports in these cheap pieces of junk render the deck useless anyhow.

Eigenvector, nosliw and sunspot42 like this.
  25. john morris

JVC....Now that's a company that knew how to make cassette decks.
    MFSL modified 100 mid priced JVC cassette decks and used them for years to make their famous 1:1 Chrome Dolby B tapes.

See the exert from the interview below...

"...As we slogged through the re-engineering of the candidate decks we started feeling a bit overwhelmed. The task looked hopeless. Then, one day, I opened up a KD A77 JVC deck. It was a mid priced unit but lo and behold it had a 15V power supply. Whoooopeeee. It could drive full swing from the wider bandwidth LF353 op amps we were replacing 4558's with and could punch the bias where it needed to be. Those changes and a few other little things and we had the ultra hotrod recorder of our dreams. They weren't super at playback but man oh man, could they print a mean signal..."