T. Rex - Electric Warrior - Kevin Gray AAA Vinyl Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GentleSenator, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Well. at least you have an idea of what is out there. I don't buy a lot of new music, but will take the opportunity to get a better sounding pressing of my favorite albums. If you really like this album, just get it. I doubt it will ever be topped.

2. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

There was a box set released about 6 years ago, really nice shelf friendly box as well. Definitely worth hunting for..

Flaming Torch likes this.
  3. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Hehe. Luckily I discovered T.Rex before I discovered proper music. It was my path to proper music. My peers only listened to The Osmands or Slade so there was no need to worry about snide comments from classmates. As for buying back catalogues, there was COB records in Wales.

One thing I think we must all remember is that T.Rex was a real influence on Swell Maps. As much so as Faust and Can.

4. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

I agree with most of that, plus, at least in my case, a shortage of money. I was in my twenties back then, married and living in a part of Wales where wages were poor...they ain't much better now come to think of it. Not much money left over for buying LPs after paying the bills.

bob60 likes this.
  5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Really, Bolan was an influence on everybody, there are so many traces he left in rock/ pop culture.

mr.datsun, Electric Sydney and Groggy like this.
  6. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

LP's were expensive in the early 70's for a young teenager, or anyone for that matter.
    Of course Marc Bolan knew this and during his peak era T.Rex singles were maxi singles with two new tracks on the b-side and came in their own special T.Rex sleeve, great value for money.
    Of course Electric Warrior was beautifully packaged as well. Great cover, lyrics and credits handwritten on the back sleeve. The inner bag had George Underwood hand drawn portraits of Marc and Mickey Finn, and the record label had a picture is Marc and Mickey also. A fantastic package.
    A few years ago I was actually in negotiations with George to buy his original drawing of Marc (he gave the Mickey Finn his portrait as a gift before he died) in the end George decided not to sell it.

googlymoogly likes this.
  7. Neonbeam

Certainly a transitional period for Marc and his old fanbase was fading fast. If you look at the excellent "Born To Boogie" movie by 1972 they had largely been replaced by a new type of fan. Unfortunately the same can't be said of the bouncers which look like they have been doing their Job since WWII:buttkick:

8. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

I've always thought Prince must have been a fan of T-Rex. Could be wrong, but I often catch a distinct Marc Bolan vibe when listening to 80s era Prince.

9. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Cream is very Get It On(bang a gong) like...

Wade Burrow and mick_sh like this.
  10. Neonbeam

Definitely. Deminutive, horny Guitar Satyrs both:yikes:

MRT likes this.
  11. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Came in today from amoeba! Packaging was great and holy smokes the cover screams quality!

I've been happy and impressed with Rhino reissues overal but this is on another level of awesome. Spinning side 1 as we speak and I think the drum kit sound is captured wonderfully - beautiful thunderous low end with great shimmer in the cymbals and ride.

Musically this is very fun! Before it arrived I played Bowie ziggy stardust and you can definitely hear the influence on bowie

Larry L, Groggy, bob60 and 4 others like this.
  12. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

this pressing is so much better than the old 70s pressing i have. it's got some amazing thump to it and nice clarity on the snare and cymbals.

13. warleywarrior

warleywarrior Forum Resident

A friend also ordered from Barnes and Noble on Friday October 31st and her copy arrived in Leicester this morning by Courier..so no import charges! Hopefully ours won’t be far behind!

mr.datsun likes this.
  14. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

That's good to know thank-you! I've been looking for it every day in the post. I think it will be Monday, but I remember mine was also ordered on 31st, so maybe tomorrow. :)

warleywarrior likes this.
  15. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

In fact there's a note in my letter-box from the apartment-block manager. I think it's here!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    warleywarrior likes this.
  16. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Mine arrived yesterday. :thumbsup:

mr.datsun likes this.
  17. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Mine came. Huge padded box. No VAT charge.

18. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

found today in a Barnes & noble store. discounted it was 20 bucks.

listening to it now. spectacular. simply spectacular.

19. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

if I ever need to demonstrate the concept of vinyl's "warmth" this is the LP I'll pull out.

it's a pleasure to listen to. velvety but with real punch.

20. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I have had multiple CDs of this album, some I would describe as the same. It is a great album beautifully produced.

21. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

It is different to the FLY version, but as that one does, in its own way it also sounds very good. I'd say that in some way it sounds a bit fuller in the mid-range. The bass is nice and no more dominant than it should be – certainly not the sound of over-emphased bass during remastering. One thing I did notice was groove noise before the opening track kicked in. Cover very well produced and surprisingly glossy for a tip-on.

e.s. likes this.
  22. notesofachord

Yeah, you don't really notice how glossy the cover is until you take the shrink wrap off. It looks great but you do have to sort of wipe your fingerprints off of it after handling it.

23. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Yes, very glossy. Why are they called 'tip-on'?

24. notesofachord

I think that it has something to do with how the slick is glued onto the cardboard (rather than being directly printed on). You'll notice that the giant inner gatefold photo is glued on. You can feel the edges of the slick. This is more expensive/labor-intensive then simply printing the cover/inner-gatefold directly onto the cardboard with a computerized printer.

googlymoogly likes this.
  25. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Yes _ I understand it's about the pasted-on-printed-paper over card construction, but the term seems a bit odd to me. I'd call it 'paste-on'. I guess I should do some more internet research :)

EDIT

'The "Tip-On" process uses temporary glue called "fugitive glue" to stick two marketing pieces together - and leaves no sticky residue on the piece once it's removed. '

Not sure that is a description of they way these traditional USA LP covers are made, but I wonder whether Tip-On is a trade-name for a proprietary process?

Someone says it might originate with promotional 'tip' sheets (like a track listing for radio stations) that were pasted on to card sleeves.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017