Elton John Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Feb 15, 2017.

1. kitt1987

kitt1987 Forum Resident

Anyone get a copy of Sleeping with the Past yet? Curious how it compares to the original.

2. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Yes, played it last night. Can't compare to original, but it sounded good to me. Some static which I think will subside with a wet cleaning and more playing. Heard it more on the quiet tracks.

Basic sleeve, like the original. Lyric sheet per original. The labels on the LP have artwork like original UK version (Elton's hands on one side, eyes on the other).

Vinyl was a little discolored. Haven't been as happy with the second batch of the reissues. The first were really pristine. I'm finding the second batch has suffered a bit on the QC front.

I'm supposed to get One Night Only tomorrow.

Darrin Crawford likes this.
  3. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Just got One Night Only. Overall impression: it's decent. Pressed by GZ, of which I've have some QC issues with the last batch of releases. Sound quality on this is good, if there is surface noise, I don't hear it because it's a live album, and any crowd noise plus the ambient nature of this live recording is masking it. But it's on par with the CD version in terms of the mix. Band sounded great on this, Elton was rough vocally in places, but his voice cuts through well in the mix. I always felt this was an odd choice to put on vinyl, as the concert CD itself was a bit strange in its reordering of the songs (the DVD that was released is far superior, containing the entire concert) and you don't gain much from the vinyl release.

Some other things to note per the release:
    • It's the "Standard" issue, 15 tracks. (The US CD release had two bonus tracks, Daniel and The Bitch is Back, both omitted from the vinyl
    • They probably could have squeezed on of those tracks on here, as side 2 is really short
    • Artwork is well reproduced - no signs of "blowing up" photos, type is crisp. Title is all yellow (compared to CD where it was a mix of white and yellow)
    • Gatefold with photo of Elton in an alley on left side, and band photo on right. (same content as CD)
    • Plain white sleeves for double vinyl. A 4 panel color insert is included with credits, etc, plus John Toblar's write-up of the concert from 2000
    • My sleeve already had a tear along the top seam - another QC issue
    • Labels on vinyl are the yellow/black leopard print, identical to the CD art

4. In Seattle was Portland guest @e.s.

[​IMG]

JeffMo, e.s., DeRosa and 2 others like this.
  5. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

You just can't seem to get away from that album! :winkgrin:

e.s. and Mazzy like this.
  6. Charlie Z.

Charlie Z. Forum Resident

I had surgery a week before this year's RSD, couldn't go, and missed out on the expanded 2 LP "11-17-70." I watched it on ebay and discogs and a few times almost pulled the trigger on an overpriced offering because I wanted it so badly. About 1 month ago, I went to a favorite local shop looking for something else and just happened to flip through the Elton albums and actually found a used copy for sale for $29.99! I listened as soon as I got home and it may be the best vinyl I have purchased all year. COMPLETELY DEAD QUIET! They really did a great job on this release and I can't recommend it enough.

7. We found it in a bin sealed for over $30

8. It’s such a great record. The expanded version is fabulous.

soundQman and e.s. like this.
  9. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I listened to Sleeping with the Past reissue. It sounds great but very similar to the original from my memory. I don't have the original handy to compare. If I had to guess, I would say the reissue it slightly better. Very quiet pressing too. Will be spinning the One Night Only soon too.

Please oh Please give us some more titles!!!

10. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Sounds good but of course suffers from 80's style production. As a result this is the least satisfying sounding title I have purchased from this series. Don't have an original to compare.

11. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Anyone else get a copy of Sleeping with the Past with bad sibilance ? Mine is really nasty on side 1. I'm surprised as I've been buying all of these Elton John reissues and until this one, they've been flawless and sounding incredible!

12. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Are they using the original labels for these reissues? I’m assuming Captain Fantastic must be...

13. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Yes, they all are recreations of the UK original release labels. Captain Fantastic has the picture label, etc.

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  14. HDManiac

HDManiac Forum Resident

I had a bad copy too. And both sides were labeled for side two.
    Returned it for the disappointing quality.

15. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Had that happen with Blue Moves. Got two lyric sleeves for disc one.

16. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Me too.

17. Mean Dorris

Mean Dorris Well-Known Member

On my 3rd copy of Blue Movies (1st copy had a seam split, didn’t get as far as playing it), and still not good, too many clicks, pops and repeating ticks, especially side 1 - first 2x copies from Amazon UK, most recent copy from Sound Of Vinyl online.

All of my other EJ reissues have been fine, including a flawless Empty Sky from the same delivery as 3rd Blue Moves.

18. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

I'm on my third copy. Haven't opened it yet. At this point, I got it to be a completist. I'm expecting it to be the same (pops, surface noise on Side 1).

The latter batch have suffered from some bad QC - split seams on the sleeves, tight sleeves. Luckily the 70s albums were done very well.

19. Mean Dorris

Mean Dorris Well-Known Member

Some great "Black Friday" prices on Sound Of Vinly for some of the EJ reissues.

The Sound of Vinyl

Many at between £16.99 and £18.99

Madman is atually £13.00, currently £29.99 on Amazon UK
    Captain Fantastic @ £16.99, currently £38.99 on Amazon.

And many others...

20. Elton was just on Colbert promoting his Diamonds Box set. When asked about his hit albums, he rattled off his albums from the 1970s stopping at Rock of the Westies.. Nothing from 1976. :tiphat:

Ben Adams, e.s. and JeffreyB like this.
  21. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

And rattled them off in order. It was pretty impressive. He said Carabou later than it was but pretty remarkable in that most artists can’t remember that stuff.

e.s. and Mazzy like this.
  22. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Picked up Tumbleweed and have it on the table as I type. Wow! Will be picking up more quickly, sounds great and is quiet, flat without any pressing faults, hallelujah.

Terry and HiFi Guy 008 like this.
  23. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

So I may have spoke too soon. My "One Night Only" is not that great of a pressing. Lots of non cleanable marks, ticks, pops during playback. I am a bit disappointed. I hardly ever listened to the cd so was eager to get more into it with a nice remaster on vinyl. I may have to send it back. LP 2 played pretty clean, but LP one had more issues than I like. I good cleaning may get rid of some. I'll try that first.

I hate lead off tracks that have a scratch from the get go (Like mine does on the song "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road") . Very hard to get into vinyl bliss with that kind of start.

24. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

BY the way, those new to these reissues, for the most part, they are AWESOME!
    Highly recommend most of them. Standouts SQ wise are Madman, Empty Sky, Captain Fantastic, Tumbleweed, Honky Chateau, Songs from the West Coast, The Big Picture (huge upgrade from cd) and I also really enjoyed Blue Moves which is better than all previous versions I have heard.

ashlee5, Jrr, e.s. and 1 other person like this.
  25. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

I just played my third copy of Blue Moves. Better than the first two - though still some noise on Side 1 - but I think with a few cleanings and playings it will be better. And at least I got both proper lyric sleeves for each disc, instead of a duplicate of one. But this will go down as the disappointment among the 16 reissues.