Vinyl and 15 Years Old Son

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GK, Nov 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GK

GK Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am new to the forum, and just wanted to post a thought to see if it strikes a chord with anyone. Got back into vinyl a couple of years ago, and the unintended side effect is that my son, who liked music quite a bit to begin with and plays two instruments, has changed his music listening habits. He still listens to Spotify, but has discovered the joy of listening to an album in its entirety. He has purchased a bunch of his own vinyl, and has, due to the vinyl format, grown to really appreciate bands he would not have ever spent any time listening to. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Summerteeth, Deltron 3030, Abbey Road, Paul's Boutique, Superunknown, The Wall, are just a few of the records he loves to spin. It is a great way for him to slow down. I shop for old school and golden age hip hop 12" singles and LP's, and he even loves many of those. I love it.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  2. Nice one!!

3. MilMascaras

MilMascaras Musicologist

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  4. GK

That looks exactly like me!

Carraway and Fullbug like this.
  5. Blender

Blender Forum Resident

I hope he grounded her for handling the record in that manner.

Erik B., Johnny Reb, stef1205 and 7 others like this.
  6. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Nice post Greg. Strikes a big major chord with me. :)

GK likes this.
  7. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

You're right on about slowing down. I'm happy to hear you've made a deeper connection

8. GK

It's been good.

seaisletim likes this.
  9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Only six years later, it's almost the opposite... ;)

e.s. likes this.
  10. GK

It's funny...I used to try to impress my kids with all my 80's and 90' hip hop cassette's, but they just laughed at me. Vinyl, obviously, has a greater allure!

Aftermath and MMM like this.
  11. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Cassettes are “in”, now ! To a lesser extent...
    (You can search for threads on this.)

In all honesty, I wouldn’t have guessed you as hip hop fan.... :p;):winkgrin:
    :hide:

Oh yeah -
    Welcome To The Forum !!!

12. GK

Thanks. Have read it for some time now. Grew up in Western NY...loved hip hop from day one. I have seen them all live....for example, Public Enemy six times, Grandmaster Flash and the Original Furious Five (with the Ramones and a young Living Colour), met Ice T...the same day I met my future wife, and am on the back cover of Doug E Fresh's 2nd album The World's Greatest Entertainer in a crowd shot...my friend and I are two fuzzy white faces in the crowd. A new record shop opened in my neighborhood and he's got a lot of great hip hop from the early days, and he's searching for that Doug E Fresh record, as it's out of print.

Richard Starkly, lightbulb and L.P. like this.
  13. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Judging by the musical selections that kid is getting off to a great start.

Aftermath, lightbulb and GK like this.
  14. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

My 15 year old is busy making Frank Ocean cassette "releases" to share with his friends, and of course, Instagram.

Marc Perman and lightbulb like this.
  15. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

Great story!

16. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

My four year old often asks me to put on records. His favorite songs are we will rock you and yellow submarine, haha.

jeffd7030, MMM and lightbulb like this.
  17. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I got into vinyl when I was 14, but I really got into it when I was 15, almost 16.

18. DrStroganoff

DrStroganoff Forum Resident

I have a 5 year old daughter who is currently obsessed with 2 LP's in particular, The Muppet Show Vol. 1 and the best of Disney.

The only thing she's asking for Christmas is her own record player. So I'm currently shopping for some kind of bright pink portable TT that she can play with til her heart's content!

jeffd7030 and GK like this.
  19. GK

He is pretty into the listening experience...just having a hard time getting him to shop with me. He doesn't yet have the patience...

SixOClockBoos likes this.
  20. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

I wish I had a Son.

21. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

I got into old ass music... well, I've always been strange. I think it was Dream Theater that made me go look at the 70s prog stuff, and then I felt stifled with only listening to progressive music, and found a middle ground with Talking Heads which lead to new wave, and then crossover bands like Renaissance led me to folk, and certain circles led me to electronic music... and this year I've come full circle and listen to those Radiohead albums I loved when I was 15 and pay attention to modern music just a bit more than I have the past five years - still going to be on the fringe of music culture but... I basically learned good music has always existed and will continue to.

GK likes this.
  22. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I feel the struggle of getting a shopping buddy. I have a friend that I got into vinyl. We both go into Amoeba for when they had a buy one get one free on their 7" singles. My friend and I get to the 7" section, I go through half a box before he finishes going through two and already has his selections. Then he heads over the the Live DVD section, comes back with two more on top of the 12 he already has and by the time I finished going through two boxes, he already wants to leave to go watch his new DVD. Luckily I was able to send him off to look at more live DVD's, he comes back to look at more boxes, and in the end, he gets another live DVD and another pair of records I get to go home with 18 new records. It's tough going with someone because their patience might not match yours, but company is nice.

23. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

But now major moment, he just asked how to play a record and after going through the whole process he’s onto his 4th album with perfect cueing on all !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.