Any good record stores in Dallas??

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Tony Caldwell, Mar 14, 2002.

1. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

I went here back in july after reading this and the guy who owned it was really nice and pleasant but the store was very dirty and disorganized. Thats a turnoff to me.

2. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

Been asked before but does anyone have photos of Dallas area record stores from the 1970's - 1980's?
    Still looking for one of Metamorphosis at the original location.

Grootna likes this.
  3. Trace

Trace Senior Member

Was reading this thread today because, well, things are slow this afternoon and I'm bored at work!

Hearing about this Bill guy cracked me up and I realized I was at his store in Richardson back in '94 or '95. I was in Richardson for work and bought these two items.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I didn't have much suitcase room, but wanted to bring something back. Strange how I remember exactly what I bought there, even though it was 20+ years ago. Even though it was crowded and smelled like cigarettes I have fond memories of the place for some reason. Of course, I was a smoker back then.

jamesc likes this.
  4. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

[​IMG]

5. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

I took a stack of Dylan, Costello, Petty and Prince albums to Half-Price last month. These were mainly records I'd bought for $2.00 in the mid-90's, and replaced on CD those that I liked. I was given $162 for them, and thought that was OK.

So I took another stack in this month, including Zappa, Eno, and Rundgren, most of which were in great shape. While I was waiting for them to be priced, I found a copy of STUDIO TAN in the rack for $25.00, and saw one of the Costello albums I'd traded in for $14 (I know it was mine--I wrote my name on it in 1980). So I figured I'd get at least what I got before. Nope--offered $43 for 40 titles.

I picked them up and left, remarking "You have the Zappa album for $25.00 over there, so...no."

Any good place to trade them in there? My son is living in Richardson now, and I'd like to dump the vinyl I'm never going to play again.

JcS

6. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

Not the original location. I want to say it was at the dead end of Cole Avenue, near McKinney Ave. A residential house that had been converted to business.

7. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Selling used vinyl at these places is so frustrating. You might want to list the records as a lot in the "for sale" section here to see if you can get a more fair price.

8. Bob_in_OKC

Have you ever sold to Josey Records?

9. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Do they pay well? I’m guessing they might. Some of their staff used to work at CD Source on Greenville and that place always paid reasonably for cd trade ins.

10. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

I've always found that stores like these can be sketchy at best regarding buying/selling practices. As this is a Dallas related thread the only store I'd been to on a semi regular basis is the Half Price store at the south end of Central Expressway, which goes to show how long I've been to Dallas. One thing to consider- it's always best to seek out the manager or owner of the store, tell him that you have a sizable amount of lp's you want to sell, and try to set up a time that you can deal with THAT person. Stores with multiple formats for sale in the store and who employ several employees--if you are going in at night or on Sunday? Well, IMO the employees at that time are told to hold the line on paying out money (in other words the old saying "buy low sell high")

It's one thing to be cheap regarding an individual going into a store who says "I want to sell all these", whether you are moving, downsizing, or whatever. But a store who buys records for squat and consistently marks up records in double digit figures? And especially if you are a long time collector and have spent sizable coin in all the area record stores, not just Half Price Books and Records? Well, it's their store to run however they like but the word gets around about you. Do you want to have a good reputation about you or not?

JMHO.

11. Bob_in_OKC

That's what I was wondering. I rarely sell records, so I haven't sold any to Josey, yet.

12. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

Your 2nd offer is more of what I've experienced in attempting to sell to HPB. The vinyl prices at the Richardson store are much higher than other stores, so the $162 on your first visit must have been due to those titles being ones they think they can mark up and sell.

I've never sold vinyl to Josey - I took in a stack of uncommon but interesting CDs once and got about $1 each, which wasn't surprising. It's about 10 minutes from the Richardson HPB when traffic is good, and is probably the best nearby option. One person did suggest posting an ad for the lot of them in the classifieds. I haven't seen many pick-up only ads, but if you didn't mind a forum member stopping by, that might be a way to get a reasonable price for the lot.

13. Joey Self

I live in Arkansas, I was just visiting my son in Richardson.

I just carried a stack of albums I knew I was never going to put on a turntable again the first time, and was satisfied to have $162 for them. It was a good stack--the Dylan albums included SELF PORTRAIT, BEFORE THE FLOOD, all of the 80's titles. It was the weekend after Tom Petty died, so I figured there was a market for those as well.

I'm wondering if their pricing is 10 cents on the dollar for what they are going to price it. The Zappa album I referred, STUDIO TAN, is available for $5.00 or so on EBay.

JcS

14. Joey Self

I am reluctant to do so for two reasons. One, I'm lazy--I like the idea of dropping off the stack and walking out with cash instead of having to go to the post office and mail things. Second, though, I'm inexperienced in grading records. What I might think is excellent may be VG- to a collector, and I don't want any hard feelings.

Bob, no, I've seen it mentioned in this thread, but I don't think I've been close enough to it to drop in.

Curbach, I could attest to the prices at CD Source--I think there is a note in this thread about my good experience there.

JcS

jamesc likes this.
  15. Joey Self

Yep, I did post about CD Source.

And around that time, Bob, you told me it was probably 10% at HPB. I bet that stack of Dylan, Costello, Petty and Prince albums priced out over $1600 for them IF they sell all of them.

Oh well, I am not second guessing either decision--to take the money the first time or walk away the second.

JcS

16. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

The Richardson hpb is one of the most overpriced ones in the area. I went in there and they were asking $30-40 for Records I got down the road at the mothership hpb for 15 and less. I won’t even go in the Richardson store anymore

I’ve talked to the buyer at the store on central just bs’n about collecting and he’s super knowledgeable and prices reasonable so he might offer fair prices to those selling but I can’t say for sure

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  17. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

Having left Dallas in 1987 I'm amazed that Forever Young and Bill's are still around. I used to know Dave at FY - he was always great to talk to and was a big Faces/Ronnie Lane fan. After reading some of the above posts apparently he's changed - that's a shame. Bill's on Spring Valley was always a goofy place. Impossible to find anything and he had no clue where things were, either. But it was a great place to pick up promo & concert t-shirts. I did most of my shopping at Metamorphosis (Mike & Barbara Rainey were friends of mine) at their original house on Cole and then when they moved downtown, along with VVV, HPB on NW Hwy and a place out on Garland Road which had a lot of great proggy stuff. And of course the wonderful Peaches store for their great JEM import section, and all of the Sound Warehouse locations for new releases. One SW (was it on Cedar Springs or Lemmon Ave.?) used to host artists for release parties. I met Patti Smith there when she released 'Easter.'

Grootna and jamesc like this.
  18. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I was at Josey last weekend. Their prices have definitely gone up since my last visit. Something about the set up/vibe there dulls my usual sense of joy and contentment to browse used record bins. Don’t know what it is, but every time I’m there I seem to lose patience.

19. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

I longer live in Dallas but I have friend who has a record store in Garland TX(suburb of Dallas) named RPM Records.Randy is the owners name and he usually specializes in imports,independent labels,underground rock&very good and reasonably priced used vinyl.He has been in business since 1983.He sells no garbage,anything used is at least VG+ or better.Check them out.Peace.

20. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

Good call Sam!

I remember Randy, IIRC he was buying volume vinyl at the record shows that were first promoted by Tom and Sally Arnbo (ARC Promotions) and later taken over by Southwest Promotions (Bob Richardson and Dave Ritz.) For a long time those shows were held at one of the hotels at Central Expressway and Campbell. I attended them in the early years (1980's/early 90's) and IIRC there was a Sound Warehouse close to where those hotels were at. Bought a lot of cheap cutouts, such as the Kiss solo albums for $1.99 each-sealed. I was in RPM Records a couple times but it was a cool store, been a long time since I've been there.

Speaking of which, how are the Dallas record shows these days? When I was active there were the days when they would have a four day circle--Wichita on Thursday night, Oklahoma City Friday Night, Tulsa on Saturday, and Dallas on Sunday. Any Dallas collectors remember those days? (Yep, I'm old!)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    The Lone Cadaver and samthesham like this.
  21. samthesham

[QUOTE="Mr. LP Collector, post: 17635454, member: 492usedGood call Sam!

I remember Randy, IIRC he was buying volume vinyl at the record shows that were first promoted by Tom and Sally Arnbo (ARC Promotions) and later taken over by Southwest Promotions (Bob Richardson and Dave Ritz.) For a long time those shows were held at one of the hotels at Central Expressway and Campbell. I attended them in the early years (1980's/early 90's) and IIRC there was a Sound Warehouse close to where those hotels were at. Bought a lot of cheap cutouts, such as the Kiss solo albums for $1.99 each-sealed. I was in RPM Records a couple times but it was a cool store, been a long time since I've been there.

Speaking of which, how are the Dallas record shows these days? When I was active there were the days when they would have a four day circle--Wichita on Thursday night, Oklahoma City Friday Night, Tulsa on Saturday, and Dallas on Sunday. Any Dallas collectors remember those days? (Yep, I'm old!)[/QUOTE]
    I live in MN now but Randy sells on line also.Yeah I used to hit Dallas &Austin for record shows.Metamorphisis (Mike&Barbara Rainey) at the orig old house for Velvets & Lou Reed& the 1st Half Price on Cole that very quaint little building in hippie town.I worked PT for Ira Lipson at KZEW -the ZOO from 1973-1976 so I did a lot of trading.My good friend Chuck Maxey managed Collectors Records in Casa Linda Plaza &when they moved up on Garland Road.That was my go to store for old blues 78s&Dead related and Chuck used to keep a great inventory of Beatles Apple labels because that is what us kids from the 60s mostly collected.Periodically Chuck would call me and tell me to drop by and he would always have a deal for me like the time he sold me a NM mono copy of a original Bob Dylan debut 6 eye for 25.00 in very early 80s.Spent many days with Chuck listening to good ol Grateful Dead and hangin out nod nod wink wink.Ahhh....the good old days.So yeah Im real old too.Peace.
    Note:I shopped at Daves Forever Young stores(Irving&Arlington) periodically but never did take to his all knowing attitude.I know what I want and I know the going price.Dont try snow me man.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Grootna likes this.
  22. samthesham

[QUOTEoey Self, post: 17562877, member: 1092"]I took a stack of Dylan, Costello, Petty and Prince albums to Half-Price last month. These were mainly records I'd bought for $2.00 in the mid-90's, and replaced on CD those that I liked. I was given $162 for them, and thought that was OK.

So I took another stack in this month, including Zappa, Eno, and Rundgren, most of which were in great shape. While I was waiting for them to be priced, I found a copy of STUDIO TAN in the rack for $25.00, and saw one of the Costello albums I'd traded in for $14 (I know it was mine--I wrote my name on it in 1980). So I figured I'd get at least what I got before. Nope--offered $43 for 40 titles.

I picked them up and left, remarking "You have the Zappa album for $25.00 over there, so...no."

Any good place to trade them in there? My son is living in Richardson now, and I'd like to dump the vinyl I'm never going to play again.

JcS[/QUOTE]
    Try Randy @RPM Records in Garland TX.Peace.

23. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

i can't seem to find a website for them, happen to know it?
    rpm leads me to a place called groove net which google says is permanently closed (per google reviews)

24. samthesham

Try Randy @RPM Records in Garland TX.Peace.[/QUOTE]
    Haven't purchased in a few months.Groove net was the on line store.Call Randy [email protected] luck.Peace.