Chris Robinson's new Black Crowes project

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cable hogue, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

I worked a Magpie show. Was very good!

jammincrowe likes this.
  2. cable hogue

cable hogue Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, Jackie was/is buddies with Chris, too. And I'm not sure how tight he is with Gorman after Jackie bailed on Trigger Hippy with little notice

Jackie's name came up during Steve's radio show a year or so ago, and Steve said, "Who?"

3. cable hogue

Yeah, I think they have one daughter.

Only time I've ever heard her speak was on the Stern show with CR, and let's just say she did not make a good first impression.

4. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

The problem with that era of the Black Crowes had nothing to do with Audley Freed and everything to do with massive drug issues.

Don't see anything wrong with his Cornell comment, it's been speculated elsewhere with less fanfare...

ianuaditis likes this.
  5. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Unless I'm missing something she's....... eight. What kind of impression did you expect? Not trying to pick a fight, that just seems an odd comment about a kid that age. Or were you referring to his (ex?) wife?

6. cable hogue

Ha! Whoops, sorry about the confusion-- I was referring to his wife/manager.

ianuaditis likes this.
  7. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Ahh, okay... that makes sense then! Thanks, again wasn't trying to stir anything up, I appreciate the clarification.

ianuaditis likes this.
  8. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Agree. The context is that maybe C.C. saw touring with his old band asa step backwards as Robinson would have seen reuniting with his.

ianuaditis likes this.
  9. Greene was always seen as a temporary member. Gorman discussed it as such in an interview with Dean Delray prior to the album launch.

10. Agree. He may even be right about that. Music certainly can affect one's physical and mental condition. That music is pretty dark, and someone singing the songs would be instantly and often reminded of the circumstances around their creation. That may or may not be a good thing in all cases.

ianuaditis and Quincy like this.
  11. cable hogue

Maybe so, but the abrupt manner in which Greene left (they had tour dates to fulfill) could not have been part of the plan.

12. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Luther is a bad lead guitar player?

13. Unless Chris Robinson knows this from having spoken with Chris Cornell then to me it seems pretty gross to attempt to portray his death as being related to getting Soundgarden back together simply to try to make a point about reuniting with his old band. And I'm using pretty gross to try to be nice about it.

14. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Living in Atlanta, I’ve come across a number of folks that knew him. Not a single nice word from any of them. I had the unfortunate pleasure of sitting next to him on a flight from LA to Atlanta years ago. When I got on the plane he was already sitting in the window seat. I happened to have enough Amoeba record bags to start my own record store. When he saw this he opened a book and never and I mean never looked up for the next 4 1/2 hours in fear that I might say something. Right nice guy.
    I love the crowes and saw them many times despite of Chris.

15. I heard the interview. It proves what we already know: you should never, ever have a wife/manager. She thought she was the **** but she was super annoying.

P.S. I love women. Don't shame me.

16. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

As the Chris Flip-Flops...I really want all the ex-Crowes' projects to succeed, but this one seems like such a desperate attempt by Chris that I can't imagine it ending up as anything but a train wreck.

17. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I am guessing this might be a 1 off performance

ianuaditis likes this.
  18. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

She also seemed very hostile towards Rich, which probably hasn’t helped matters!

19. Nick Drake fan

Nick Drake fan Forum Resident

When Luther was chosen to be The Crowes' lead guitarist I thought it was a great choice. But, for whatever reason, Luther never gelled with The Crowes. Unlike when he plays in the NMAS, his playing with The Crowes was quite uninspired.

20. Nick Drake fan

Nick Drake fan Forum Resident

It's not that because there were absolutely massive drug issues in the band during the Three Snakes tour but that was THE best tour TBC ever had. The best Crowes live recordings come from 1996 & 1997. The shows in January & February 1997 are so good its unreal.

21. Jem

Jem Forum Resident

Been a weird band to follow over the years. Joy all the way to 97. Always more in the Chris/Marc camp. Then the horror of '98 when that record just seemed a desparate effort. Some kind of a promised revival with the initial sound of Lions but that turned out to be hollow. Actually walked out of a gig on that tour. Then unimaginable joy in 2005/6. Followed by a brave decision by Marc. Some good solo efforts by the members. And now I find myself firmly in the Rich/Marc camp looking forward to their new music. God knows what's up with Chris.

22. Jem

Jem Forum Resident

telepicker97 likes this.
  23. Jem

Jem Forum Resident

I caught a few of those shows. Had a genuinely transcendent period at the RAB gig.

Nick Drake fan likes this.
  24. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Nah, I think you're putting too much stock into all the breathless he said/he said talk on the internet...he'll come out and play a BC set with a smoking band (whoever it may be...), and he'll play a set with his band.

I've been seeing the band on and off since, what, '91 and the only time I ever saw Chris relaxed, amiable, personable and having fun was with the CRB last summer.

And not to seem like I'm picking sides, but financially speaking I'm not sure that The Magpie Salute is sustainable long term as currently configured. It takes a **** ton of cash to keep that many people in a band on the road.

25. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

Well to clarify, Im sure whatever he puts together will be fine musically. He's a professional with talent in there somewhere.

I just feel that the Crowes fan base is an incredibly loyal bunch that has largely been following them through a lot of ridiculousness for 25 years. I can't see how Chris can basically force the end of the actual band, repeatedly say he doesn't need to play those songs, and then put together a festival set playing those songs and feel like that's at all in the spirit of this band we all know & love, and expect us as fans to accept it. He might as well just get Budweiser to sponsor it, and only play songs from Shake Your Moneymaker.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.