Bob Dylan -- Live in San Diego '79

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Nov 4, 2017.

1. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

2. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

It’s nuts! There are folks though who get caught up in all the bidding nonsense and reality takes a nosedive, also those that think if it’s on eBay it’s a bargain and some poor unfortunate souls who combine both practices.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  3. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Currently on e-bay 62 GBP with a day left of auction :yikes:.

Plain daft.

4. Nick Fuller

Nick Fuller Forum Resident

If it is £62 then the person selling will have their set paid for.

5. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not my bidding.
    A back-up copy should be mine, but I'm not paying a silly price for it.

The Bard likes this.
  6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That's why CDs are great. They have that little advance button. Some even can be programmed

bubba-ho-tep and jay.dee like this.
  7. Nick Fuller

8. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

9. Nick Fuller

It is still available so if you are paying £117 then just buy the set or download it

10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It was purchased by someone who was frustrated with the delivery disaster from the website

redsock likes this.
  11. Nick Fuller

Issues only seem to be in US rather than UK

It seems stupid to pay that price

Tribute likes this.
  12. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

And Canada. (And someone is Australia had issues, too, if I recall.)

13. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Those people who still have problems will I am sure receive their sets along with SD eventually (I sympathise greatly with the stress they are going through). If they have now bought SD from ebay at such a ridiculous price, it would have been an unnecessary panic buy.
    Personally I think this crazy purchase has been done by someone originally buying the set sans SD and then realising later that they really want it.
    But why not re-buy the 'full monty' from bd.com now and then flog the basic non SD set ? A mystery to me.

14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

People are not smart as is demonstrated everyday everywhere

Richard--W, Blue Note and Wugged like this.
  15. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Sad, but true.

16. MarkJM

MarkJM Forum Resident

Whatever about the way it has been released, this is a great performance from Dylan.

Great passion and belief in his vocals. The band isn't bad either.

Richard--W and adriatikfan like this.
  17. Nick Fuller

This is amazing

Richard--W likes this.
  18. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Bob's always been intellectually and hence creatively nourished by the Torah and the Bible. Being so deeply influenced by the New and Old Testament I think he eventually re-integrated his faith into songwriting. The (sometimes unpleasant imo) judgemental dimension was always there, but gradually became more subtle. I wonder what Bob thinks about the (ex-) google guy formally establishing an A.I. 'religion'. Genesis 11:1-19 Part two.

Richard--W likes this.
  19. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

(Sidestepping the discussion about how the material is presented...)

This show is SMOKIN’. Tim Drummond MVP.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  20. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I agree, and I can understand why it was edited out of the 8 CD set, but this bonus set would've been perfect to include whatever Bob was serving up that night. They could've just indexed it between the songs as well so if anyone didn't like it they can just skip on to the next track.

Sean Murdock, Richard--W and The Bard like this.
  21. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

From the other thread:

My kinda dj.
    What station?
    Where?

22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Sorry, I should remain discreet. It is not quite kosher to do that. You can't even play an album by anyone. Over the last 45 years, I have broadcast many complete concerts by Dylan, but not recently. I did play the five Dylan Sinatra discs without interruption too earlier this year

23. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

It reminds me of when on Record Store Day you will see certain releases on Ebay by the same evening selling for £100+. Last time there were the 2 Bowie releases that were not really that limited at all. By the evening the BOWPROMO one was going for stupid money, when there were still copies unsold in certain shops. At same time people were bidding over £100 you could go onto some shops websites (such as the brilliant Drift Records in Totnes) and buy it for £35. Look on Discogs now and loads for around £20 - a few even less.

Why pay £117 for San Diego when you can get the whole set for £150? Saying that maybe I should have bought a set for £150, sold San Diego for £117 and bingo I get the actual box set for £33! Same sometimes with concert tickets. They will be selling for double price on somewhere like Stubhub when you can still buy them direct from venue.

Things have changed.

24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The insane thing isn't really the people paying as much as a computer diagnostics test for your car (too much for 5 minutes labor), but the fact that SONY would not sell it to the general public. Most of us actually paid around $60 for it, above market price of the box

Jimmy B. and Sean Murdock like this.
  25. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Indeed -- it's the closest Sony has come to extortionist pricing since the infamous "deluxe" Tell Tale Signs. Fortunately, in every other way the box is excellent, so it makes the added cost a little easier to swallow.