Ho Ho Ho! - Upcoming Holiday / Christmas releases?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nathan Aaron, Aug 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

Which cover is this? Do you happen to have a link to this cd?

2. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Hello Scott, the CD that I have has the original album cover that has Dean hugging the cute brunette lady while smiling flirtatiously with the blonde gal while standing near the ski cabin surrounding by snow and blue sky. Now there are two version's of this iconic album on Cd available through Ebay, but I have the original Capitol Records CD that came out in 1989 in stereo with one great bonus song, Christmas Blues. The Real Gone Music CD, which by the way is a company that I almost always take their version over anybody else's due to stellar remastering and commitment to original artwork, unfortunately in my humble opinion has three or four bonus tracks that are not related to Christmas. The visual difference between the two CD's is that Capital used the original cover without the Full Dimensional Stereo label across the top and RGM chose to use that stereo labeling header, which I normally love on most of these vintage releases, but in this rare case I think it takes away slightly from the beautiful full scale picture of the album. Be assured though, both are the remastered stereo version of the original album. I do not have the Real Gone version, but from what I remember it does't have that additional chatter that's so cool at the front of the Baby Its Cold Outside master. Keep in mind that the Capital version is from 1989 and the RGM version is 2005 and visually you can tell the difference by the presence or lack of the stereo heading at the top. The Capital version is a little harder to find but I see a couple of ones available on EBay for around twenty dollars or less last time I checked. Amazon only seems to have the RGM version as far as I know.

I hope this helps.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  3. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

The version you're talking about is the Collectors' Choice reissue. This was never released by Real Gone Music.

4. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Yes, thank you Simon, that is absolutely correct. I sometimes think of them as the same company because Gordon Anderson started both of them and of course RGM is the one he runs now, but indeed the version of Dean's album A Winter Romance was on the Collectors' Choice label.

Simon A likes this.
  5. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Listening to former Nightwish soprano Tarja Turunen's new Christmas release 'From Spirits And Ghosts (Score for a Dark Christmas)' on apple music... cd & vinyl should be waiting for me when I get home. Interesting somber take on Feliz Navidad. Supposed to be a graphic novel based on the album (or vice/versa) but outside of wikipedia I can't find any other info on it.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  6. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

My copy is on order and should arrive this weekend -- looking forward to it. Her first Christmas album was really good even if I didn't understand a word!

7. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Out today - this may appeal to some...?

[​IMG]

Les Disques du Crepuscule presents an expanded vinyl edition of classic festive album Ghosts of Christmas Past, featuring favourites from the original 1981 and 1982 editions now joined by newer tracks by Crepuscule artists.
    Sometimes witty, sometimes melancholic, the original version of Ghosts of Christmas Past in November 1981 featured exclusive contributions from luminaries such as Tuxedomoon, The Durutti Column, Paul Haig, Michael Nyman, Aztec Camera, Thick Pigeon and The Names. Subsequent editions in 1982 and 1986 added songs by Antena, Mikado, The Pale Fountains and The French Impressionists.

For this new vinyl version in 2015 Crepuscule have now added more chantons noel by Blaine L. Reininger, Section 25, Gavin Bryars, The Wake, Buscemi, Marsheaux, Deux Filles, Stanton Miranda, B Music and Ultramarine.

“Crepuscule's Christmas cracker is here to rescue the festive season from the fogies and bores"(Melody Maker);

"Aztec Camera's Hot Club of Christ is a busy, Django-esque run through a few well-known Christmas ditties, Michael Nyman's Cream or Christians is a silly but loveable fragmented organ collage in a typical English eccentric tradition, Tuxedomoon are in playful Residential mood” (NME)

Cover art by Jean-Francois Octave. A remastered 2xCD version (TWI 158 CD) is also available.

2xLP tracklist:
    Side 1
    1. Aztec Camera Hot Club of Christ
    2. The Durutti Column One Christmas For Your Thoughts
    3. Paul Haig Christiania
    4. Isolation Ward Lamina Christus
    5. Buscemi Shchedryk
    6. The Swinging Buildings Praying for a Cheaper Christmas

Side 2
    1. Tuxedomoon Weihnachtsap
    2. Thick Pigeon Jingle Bell Rock
    3. French Impressionists Santa Baby
    4. Gavin Bryars Season of Mists
    5. Be Music Rocking Carol
    6. Michael Nyman Cream or Christians

Side 3
    1. Antena Noelle a Hawai
    2. Mikado Noel Sous le Soleil
    3. The Pale Fountains Benoit’s Christmas
    4. The Names Tokyo Twilight
    5. Marsheaux We Met Bernard Sumner at a Christmas Party Last Night

Side 4
    1. Blaine L. Reininger Jingle Hell
    2. Section 25 Jesus Sweetly Sleeps
    3. Miranda Dali Happy Xmas (War Is Over)
    4. The Wake Jesus From the Block
    5. Deux Filles Deep Snowdrop
    6. Ultramarine Winter Circle

8. jmobrien68

The Sia Christmas album is cute if you like modern pop music.

9. jmobrien68

Jesus... I'm up to 777 CDs... I don't know how that happened.

10. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

Don't worry, there are worse hobbies

11. phish

phish Jack Your Body

I pre-ordered it, but haven't previewed any tracks.

12. jmobrien68

It's really growing on me... this one might just become a classic.

phish likes this.
  13. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

14. Bjorn Kjetil Johansen

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen Vortex Surfer

15. PretzelLogic

[​IMG]
    Is that the same Sven Libaek that did this masterpiece, among others?

16. Bjorn Kjetil Johansen

That is indeed the same Sven Libaek! This is an EP with three tracks from 1963/4 and one from 2011 if I recall correctly. Will be out, in Norway only I am afraid, on November 30. I have a test pressing, and it is really good.

This is limited to 300.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    Simon A likes this.
  17. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

My band has a single coming out but I suppose that doesn't count. :). Nevertheless The I Want You "I Know What You Don't Want For Christmas (Its Me Right?!?!)" coming soon. :)

18. PretzelLogic

Put a link up when it's out!

Where can I obtain this very appealing disc?

ampmods likes this.
  19. Bjorn Kjetil Johansen

The Libaek single is not ready for sale yet. It just got back from Pallas and each copy needs to be hand numbered. But if you check the Norwegian record store Big Dipper in a week or two, it will probably be up for sale there.

http://bigdipper.no

PretzelLogic and GerryO like this.
  20. Bjorn Kjetil Johansen

21. pghmusiclover

[​IMG]

For anyone interested in something soulful, American Idol third season winner Fantasia has released "Christmas After Midnight" on Concord Records. In addition to the usual holiday fare, she does a few unexpected tunes: James Brown's "Santa Claus Go Straight To The Ghetto", Ray Charles' "The Snow Is Falling" and the Jackson Five's "Give Love On Christmas Day", along with a jazz number "In The Wee Small Hours Of The Morning" and Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah".

1. This Christmas
    2. Santa Claus Go Straight To The Ghetto
    3. The Snow Is Falling
    4. Baby, Its Cold Outside (Duet with Ceelo Green)
    5. The Christmas Song
    6. Give Love On Christmas Day
    7. Merry Christmas Baby
    8. Silent Night
    9. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
    10. What Are You Doing New Years Eve?
    11. In The Wee Small Hours Of The Morning
    12. Hallelujah

Bonus tracks on Target CD:
    13. Jingle Bell Rock
    14. Auld Lang Syne

Pete Puma, CrazyCatz and Simon A like this.
  22. PretzelLogic

[​IMG]

Confirmed- this will brighten your Decembers quite considerably!

CWillman likes this.
  23. phish

phish Jack Your Body

24. pghmusiclover

25. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

Just chiming in to put in another plug for Harriet's album Winter Stories, which is finally getting a CD re-release on her website this year. It's truly excellent and very tasteful. Her voice is fantastic! I think it may be my favorite Christmas album, and it's got a lot of competition. Check it out and pick up a copy before supplies run out!

phish and David*M like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.