New Pearl Jam Reissues, complete studio vinyl box coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bigdoug920, Sep 10, 2017.

1. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Yep sounds pretty good, but two copies I’ve had both badly warped and had to try flattening it which worked quite well. I can see them all being warped...

whisper3978 likes this.
  2. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I find some of the complaining of sound quality of the No Code and/or Yield reissues comical. I own both and think they sound great, not 1967 original Beatles "great" but solid nonetheless. I own a 1992 Korean Ten which is fantastic and does beat the CD. The Ten double disc from a few years back will remain on the shelf untouched. I was not impressed with the re-mix or the mastering of that reissue. I also own original pressings of Vs. and Vitalogy which are both incredible and easily beat the CD versions. I have never even owned the Avocado album but ordered it based on the fact that they have never really released an album I could say I was very disappointed with. I like Backspacer a lot and absolutely love the Lightning Bolt vinyl. I'll let ya know what I think of Avocado but can't compare it to the original mix as I've never heard it. Even though the files are squashed it should sound better than the digital versions. I should probably pick up Riot Act and Binaural to complete the collection but will wait to read some feedback. I am not expecting audiophile on any of these but would expect a large improvement over the crap CD versions.

marcfeld69 and Mateo Sanboval like this.
  3. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

That's crazy that it's the exact problem from fifteen years ago and no one thought to fix it even now.

richbdd01 and FourWalledWorld like this.
  4. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Diverse vinyl UK

5. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Yeah wasn’t exactly a small warp either but fortunately I managed to get it to my satisfaction and there is just a fairly mild warp there now. Binaural was dead flat.

6. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

my shipping info finally updated and I am supposed to have them delivered Saturday!

Looking forward to Riot Act.

DrStroganoff likes this.
  7. tezet

tezet Active Member

My Riot Act and Avocado are terribly warped. Binaural is flat. How did you manage to flatten it?

8. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

With the help of the oven and some heavy objects. I had two badly warped copies of Riot Act from amazon so would have sent it back anyway if it hadn’t worked or got worse....just thought I’d try as no risk and it managed to really flatten it. Ran it through the cleaning machine and it’s mark free and very quiet so decided to keep as I reckon the chances of getting another one as good will be virtually zero. Really disappointing but I think if anyone wants a copy of Riot Act, they will need to perform some kind of remedial work on it...

9. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I don’t want to dampen your enthusiasm...but I would be open to the fact you will either need to return or flatten it. Either that or hope yours isn’t warped as bad. It’s annoying!

10. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Does Pearl Jam self titled have the booklet shoved in with one of the records like Riot Act?

11. tezet

tezet Active Member

Yes, similar situation (smaller format).

btw. I have original Riot Act with the same booklet and it’t flat.

12. Kimiimacman

Avocado, Riot Act and Binaural all sound great, a big step up from my CDs. Very happy. I'll pass on Ten as it's the same remaster I already have.

richbdd01, Jam757 and DrStroganoff like this.
  13. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Listening To Avocado right now and pretty pleased. A bit loud but clean and well defined, bass and vocals sound very clear, very quiet pressing as well. Good material, I've never heard it. Impressive. The second disc had a very slight warp so I'm baking for 4 hours in the vinyl flat. Nice poly lines sleeves would have been a bonus but I guess you cant have everything. I have never heard the original vinyl or CD so sorry can't compare the remix but it seems like it would blow the compressed CD away. I'll report back after I have spun the entire thing a few times.

DrStroganoff likes this.
  14. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

My order STILL has not shipped.

I feel like this right now:
    [​IMG]

Johnny Wong and JasonA like this.
  15. Kimiimacman

Binaural has prodigious bass (the CD is no slouch either), especially Of The Girl but my rig maintains serious control but others may have issues here for sure. Avocado is quite different: much livelier and forward but with decent and solid bass. Again some may find it a bit glaring but still superior to the original CD. Riot Act sit neatly between the two. Sonically I would place these three above No Code and Yield. Ten is still a big disappointment to me but luckily I have the original CD.
    Overall I have to be grateful to have them all on vinyl; it's been a long wait for sure, though I'll keep an watchful eye out for affordable originals. Fat chance!

richbdd01 and DrStroganoff like this.
  16. elvismcdouglas

elvismcdouglas Forum Resident

I think it's the booklet squeezed in with the second disc causing the warp. Mine has it too.

Jam757 likes this.
  17. DrStroganoff

DrStroganoff Forum Resident

Picked up Binaural this afternoon. Just finished disc 1, overall very happy. Flat, quiet discs.

I agree with what has been said about it being a bit bass-heavy, but overall it does sound pretty good! :)

18. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

My thoughts pretty much exactly. I think at least Binaural and Riot Act for me were something of a pleasant surprise and a step up from the last reissues. But I did feel that these would have that potential given the 2 LP releases. You can get a lot more bass and dynamics across 2LPs, provided the digital master is of sufficient quality.

Yep, ten was disappointing and I’m probably going to offload that one.

19. Paul Beatty

Paul Beatty Forum Resident

Has anyone in the USA found/received Riot Act or Binaural reissue on vinyl in a record store or Amazon? I'm only seeing 10c members and European recipients.

20. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

So trying to decide which one to get next, based on the reviews it seems Riot Act is considered a slightly better album than Binaural. Probably will go with that one next although I'm sure I'll end up with all of them. I am interested where people are storing the booklets? I put mine back inbetween the gatefold rather than in with the 2nd LP but not sure if it makes a difference. I played the second disc of Avocado after the vinyl flat session and perfeftly flat and sound great. I think like the material on the 2nd disc more than the first but overall solid album. I like it when Pearl Jam slows it down on the psychedelic side.

21. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

Supposed to get mine today from ups. I will update and let everyone know if my riot act is warped.

fingers crossed it isn't!

Jam757 likes this.
  22. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

last week here locally in DFW forever young records had all the 7" singles and Ten. That was it.

23. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Sadly this is the norm with new vinyl these days. My Vinyl Flat (although horribly overpriced) is still paying dividends. I worry that as supply can't currently meet demand they will be pulling these babies hot off the presses wth inadequate cooling time, and therefore more warped vinyl on the way.

telepicker97 likes this.
  24. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

I have an original Riot Act and it was warped as well, most likely due to the thick booklet packed in with the LPs. they should either pack the book separately (outside/away from the LP) or make the booklets the same square dimensions as the cover.

Jam757 likes this.
  25. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Yeah, thats why I was thinking to keep it completely removed from the package. It is sort of an odd sized booklet for vinyl.