The Doors' Strange Days 50th Edition Release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

The 50th anniversary version of the album was released today. Anyone given it a listen yet? It's my favourite Doors album so I was pretty excited for the stereo remaster but it sounds exactly the same as the version already on iTunes, but then again I'm only listening on Apple Earpods. I'll give it another listen once I get my Beyerdynamic DT250's soon. Tracks times have changed so something has changed, plus even if it does sound exactly the same at least it was like their debut's 50th which was imo worse sounding.

What are your thoughts?

2. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I own the DCC CD(Japan) mastered by our Host & AP SACD(just bought a few weeks ago with the other Doors AP SACDs when there was a 20% off Music on Acoustic Sound website), so really only interested in getting this 50th Anniversary Edition for the Mono CD in the 2 CD Set.

3. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

What is the difference (if any) between the mono LP in this new set and the mono LP that was released for "Record Store Day" last year?

dayday likes this.
  4. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

Waiting for my copy in the mail.

5. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

I just ordered my 2CD copy (don't see a point to buy a separate vinyl because I have the RSD mono which is better sounding than the debut), but I can say that S/T 50th anniversary remaster is basically Acoustic Sounds version that was featured on Infinite SACD boxset. I remember someone mentioned some little EQ tweaks in a discussion on the forums here, but looking at DR I made a conclusion that it is the same. My thought was supported later after I read an interview with Bruce Botnick where he spoke about the preparations for S/T anniversary remaster.
    So, after all this info my guess is that they continued to use Acoustic Sounds masters and that's what you have in lossy form from iTunes.

They mention that it is "remastered", but when the s/t mono would've benefited with some remastering or better was based on a new mono master or whatever they have in the archives, they just used the same "distorted" master but made some little tweaking so it's not that different. And I'm not trying to be negative on that because it is what it is, but usually during remastering engineers usually correct some mistakes or flaws.
    That's why I think the differences with Strange Days mono will be minor and actually unnecessary.

6. Soundslave

Little additions:
    1. Mono for s/t boxset was based on Bernie Grundman master, which was featured on The Doors Vinyl Boxset from ~2008 (I might be wrong with the year), but it sounds a little bit different to quobuz 44/16 mono version, slightly different EQ, if you ask me. And users here said that boxset vinyl is almost the same as in RSD release.
    2. The stereo remaster I was talking about was made by Doug Sax and was used for both SACD and vinyl 45rpm boxsets.

7. murch

murch Forum Resident

I bought the hdtracks version and just had a quick listen to "you're lost little girl" and it doesn't seem to be missing the "l" in lost like the RSD issue.

Prism, ottoman79 and Soundslave like this.
  8. Soundslave

So, supposedly a different mono master was used? I hope we'll get another interview on the background of this reissue from Bruce too.

9. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

Reading a lot of posts about this release has this mix and that release has that mix will make your head spin.

agentalbert likes this.
  10. murch

murch Forum Resident

I can't hear much of a difference between the previous stereo hdtracks 24bit version of SD (the one with the WB logo) and the new 50th SD Deluxe hdtracks version, although the new one is mastered *slightly* quieter. On "People are strange" in both 24bit versions the line "women seem wicked" still has the small noise/click (dropout or background noise) on the left channel that seems unique to these 2 versions. So I think it's the same version.

11. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Great album. I consider the first the best, but in fact this one as a sophomore effort showed a lot of growth in several areas.

Christopher B likes this.
  12. murch

murch Forum Resident

Just had a listen and overall the sd 50th mono sounds great! Has lots of power, good bass which for this particular doors album is hard to come by.

but...at 9:08 of the new 50th mono of "when the music's over" there's a pretty significant drop out/dip in quality for a second or two. This isn't present on the original mono vinyl needledrop I have so I wonder what happened? Tape damage? Too bad they couldn't have "flown in" a piece to fix it.

IDwithnoE and Frank Irons like this.
  13. murch

murch Forum Resident

Sorry, my bad, just double checked the SD dcc cd and that small noise is there too. Irregardless the 2 24bit versions sound the same to me, but disregard my point about that click being unique to those versions.

14. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

In my mind these 50th's are quite disappointing. The debut destroyed the bass on the entire album making tracks like Soul Kitchen, Twentieth Century Fox and Take It As It Comes not nearly as fun and the drums seems to have a similar effect of sounding too open and therefore less impactful and meanwhile Morrison's vocals which were the only issue to me with the normal iTunes version was that they just didn't sound clear enough and that didn't change.

And since this is just the same thing pretty much and I don't listen to mono I guess I'll just be sticking to the 'original' versions. And now the box looks like crap, at least the debut's 50th looked nice and hi-res. How dare they.:realmad: Oh well, they sounded great anyway, and it's free so, eh. I feel bad for anyone who bought these digitally and already had the other versions.

15. WE WILL FALL

WE WILL FALL Forum Resident

I can hear something similar going on around 1:35 on the mono When The Music's Over as well.

Sondek, IDwithnoE and JEM512 like this.
  16. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Either way, great album. You're Lost Little Girl is one of my favorite Doors' songs.

17. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Robby's guitar solo of this song in MONO just floats around in the room. Excellent!

Mr Sam, Sammy Banderas, Sean and 4 others like this.
  18. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I don't have the CD set yet (I'm waiting for the Japanese SHM-CD release), but I listened to the mono remaster on Spotify in the car last night. It sounded a boxy to me. Do other people hear that? Maybe it's just an issue with Spotify in the car.

19. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

Love the mono version. Strange Days (the song) has cleaner, less distorted vocals. My Eyes Have Seen You mono has a way more prominent bass intro.

20. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Is this available at any walk in stores (Best Buy, Target or Walmart)? I don't do Amazon. Not seeing too many on eBay now.

21. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Not from what I've seen so far, they have shipping options but not the other.

22. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

The new LP mono? Who cut it?

23. I doubt big box stores would bother carrying a mono record.

Amazon would be the easiest big box. If you don’t line them there are other good the online shops : Bullmoose , Music Direct , Soundstage.

Otherwise a brick and mortar record store.

24. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

waiting for my copy too, want to compare with the RSD mono release

dayday and Soundslave like this.
  25. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

Pardon my ignorance, but was there a similar two-disc anniversary (stereo/mono) set for the debut, or just the single stereo disc versus the three-disc/LP box? Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.