Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Should we take bets on what footage was put in there as a tease?

2. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

My gut feeling tells me that it is Luke's black gloved hand picking up Kylo's lightsaber in Snoke's palace.

I think the money shot of this trailer, though, was Rey appearing to draw her lightsaber on Luke.

Jason Manley and bluesbro like this.
  3. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

I'll take this one for $1000 Alex.

[​IMG]

artfromtex likes this.
  4. artfromtex

Here's a new trailer:

Encuentro likes this.
  5. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

The biggest problem that I had with the The Force Awakens was not with the heroes but the villains, who were mainly dull and unconvincing. Whiny millennial Vader (a.k.a. Kylo Ren) was just annoying, not menacing--he could barely hold his own against a completely untrained Rey ffs--while the bland, incompetent General Hux wouldn't have lasted a month in Grand Moff Tarkin's Empire. The normally reliable Andy Sirkis was unable to breath life into vaguely mysterious Snoke. With movies like this, you really need some compelling bad guys to root against.

bru87tr, enro99, daca and 1 other person like this.
  6. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Agree.

Except for one thing, you think General Hux would have lasted a month in Tarkin’s Empire? I would have measured it in seconds/minutes :D

You nailed Kylo Ren. He is not at all intimidating and barely qualifies as a “villain.” Comes nowhere close to commanding a scene like Vader. And to your point, he is an annoyance in the film.

bru87tr and Keith V like this.
  7. Tristero

When I saw that brief but explosive Vader cameo at the end of Rogue One, it made it clear what we had been missing.

bru87tr and daca like this.
  8. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I didn’t mind him that much. I like the angle that he’s completely out of control. Of course he’s no Vader...but thank goodness he’s no Anakin either.

Smokin Chains likes this.
  9. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I want to know if Lando will make an appearance.

Keith V likes this.
  10. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

He can always talk with Malla and Lumpy...

11. artfromtex

The villain is Snoke. Kylo is a high priced pawn coerced into betraying Luke Skywalker, and killing his father, and historic hero, Han Solo.

I believe Kylo, like Vader, will be redeemed. But unlike Vader, Ben Solo will be able to live a long life afterwards.

Snoke's origin and motives should be revealed in Episode VIII. At that point, you will have your desired villain.

ianuaditis and Encuentro like this.
  12. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Kylo Ren is not supposed to be a bad ass villian. That's part of the point. He's an up and comer. He's a wanna be bad ass, but he's not even 100% sure that he wants to be the bad ass villain that Snoke wants him to be. This is not the simple good guy vs. bad guy type of story. There are gray areas yet to be explored, and those gray areas are hinted at in the trailers for The Last Jedi.

Zoot Marimba, Keith V and artfromtex like this.
  13. daca

There is a potential for redemption in betraying someone.

There is NO redemption for killing your own father in cold blood. If Kylo Ren kills his mother, as the trailers suggest, there would be a “negative” probability for redemption, which is not even possible.

Personally, I doubt Kylo kills Leia, it’s just for dramatic effect in the trailer. Nevertheless, killing Han the way he did, no redemption there is.

Good luck with ESB Version 2.0 Rian.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    enro99 and Solaris like this.
  14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Loved the new trailer. I can't wait!

15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I agree. I didn't care for it the first time and on repeated viewings I now like it about as much as any of the other films. I think the problem is what I expected going in, which isn't fair at all to the film. Once I got that out of the way after the first viewing it grew on me. I think it's a film that really needs repeated viewings to capture everything.

Aggie87 likes this.
  16. Tristero

Of course, we already know that "there's still good in [Kylo]" and he'll have his moment of redemption, just like Vader. It's pretty predictable. As for not knowing Snoke's origin, we didn't know the origin of either Vader or the Emperor when we first encountered them, but they were still compelling villains. Vader was menacing from the first moment he appeared on the screen--you've either got it or you don't.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  17. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Kylo had a great entrance in TFA ..............better than Vader's in IV.

18. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Yeah, for me, Kylo is bad in the sense that he has untamed potential with the Force. We saw him stop a blaster bolt mid-air. He has the power, but lacks the discipline, which to me makes him intriguing. And what if he thought that killing his father would help seal the deal for him embracing the Dark Side, but instead just creates more conflict inside of him? So to me there's some intriguing qualities about him that could be exciting to explore assuming they don't screw up his character.

Keith V, Encuentro and Quadboy like this.
  19. daca

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS !

20. daca

[​IMG]

21. marblesmike

You know, some people have different opinion than yours. What kind of person has the time to create a meme to mock someone else's opinion on a message board...oh wait, an internet troll.

22. bluenote

bluenote Forum Resident

You know, I'd have to agree with you on this. (people please don't resort to meme's, etc to disagree with someone, the Steve Hoffman boards are better than that. At least explain your viewpoint).

Vader's entrance, while pretty cool, is just him walking in, looking around at the dead bodies, and then walking away. Kylo's is him walking off his ship, slaughtering Lor San Tekka with his light sabre (while showing the audience that he is truly cold blooded, as the 2 seem to know each other), he stops the blaster from Finn in mid air and then finally orders the slaughter of the villagers.

Jrr likes this.
  23. daca

First, my avatar is a meme. Second they literally take seconds to make. Third, if you want to make one to respond to my posts, feel free.

Regarding your post...

Darth Vader's entrance onto Tantive IV in Star Wars is one of the most iconic scenes in movie history. The cinematography of that shot shows that he is one bad a** dude not to be messed with. At best, Kylo Ren's entrance is merely a rehash of Vader's entrance, "reimagineered" by the fine folks at Diznee and jj abrams. Kylo stoping POE's shot, a rehash of Vader and Solo in ESB and I am sure Leia was the lone human survivor on Tantive IV.

Kylo is not Vader.

The opening scene in TFA is nowhere as good as Vader's opening scene in Star Wars.

24. marblesmike

I take it you didn't like TFA and are not a fan of the more recent outings from the Star Wars universe.

25. bluenote

bluenote Forum Resident

Thank you for your explanation. I do disagree with you, but thanks for your viewpoint.

Kylo kills an old man in cold blood, stops a laser blast in mid-air which is something we've never seen before (vader deflects them in ESB) and finally Kylo orders the slaughter of the village. I don't really see how that is a rehash of Vader's opening scene.

I think we need to look at context as well: When we first saw Star Wars, we've never seen anything like Stormtroopers, Darth Vader, etc. When The Force Awakens came out, we've now seen 6 Star Wars movies.

When I look at these 2 scenes without any of the context (much like my kids who are seeing the movies for the first time), then I definately think Kylo's entrance is much better.

That's just me though.

eeglug, Keith V and Encuentro like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.