MARVEL'S Punisher - Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veech, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds Thread Starter

Looks good, but how far can Netflix go with the dark Marvel heroes whose only real power is that they hit hard?

CrazyCatz and NickC4555 like this.
  2. Ever seen the movie versions ? The Thomas Jayne one worked quite well.

bru87tr and CrazyCatz like this.
  3. Veech

Nope haven't seen it, will have to check it out. I do think Jon Bernthal is a great casting choice and I liked his appearance in the Daredevil Netflix series. I'll check it out even though I passed on Iron Fist.

4. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Loved his stint on Daredevil.

I have high hopes for this.

Should have made a Defenders cameo.

5. Veech

Same strategy as leaving Thor and Hulk out of Captain America - Civil War?

tommy-thewho likes this.
  6. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

I'll take the Dolph Lundgren version over that one every time.

MC Rag likes this.
  7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

First episode was intriguing enough. Nice use of Tom Waits' "Hell Broke Luce"
    during a scene where Frank returns to his "murder tornado" ways.

Pretty mild spoiler, but I figured we should give folks at least a week to watch the show.

8. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

4 episodes in and I'm severely underwhelmed. I mean come on do something...way too slow.

jeroemba likes this.
  9. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

War Zone was Perfect...

10. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I also just got thru the 1st 4 and I'm disappointed. Way too slow, hope it picks up but so far I'm not impressed. On top of the pacing issues, there seems to be a serious lack of story so far. Jeez, I'm getting so tired of flashback scenes, seems like it's Hollywood's favorite go-to gimmick these days. The flashback with the wife feels a bit overdone. I could pick apart individual scenes but won't yet, don't want to spoil anything. I haven't seen Luke Cage, the Defenders or Iron Fist but I gave this a shot....

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm reminded of what Bruce Wayne says in the new Justice League movie when The Flash asks him, "what's your super power again?" And Bruce glares at him and says, "I'm rich."

wayneklein likes this.
  12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Superheroes.
    If they can't fly, they can take a hike.:)

13. jeroemba

jeroemba Forum Resident

That's the same problem with every Marvel show on Netflix IMO: the plots don't need 13 episodes long seasons. Especially 1 hour episodes!

GodShifter and Adam6437 like this.
  14. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Just finished episode 10 and I'm loving this show - plus I really don't understand the complaints about slow pacing, for me the story is unveiling at an appropriate pace and when the writing/acting/direction is this good it works

MC Rag, Gumboo, FVDnz and 2 others like this.
  15. Maybe there can be a crossover with the Archie universe, like there was in the comics (well, for a one-off comic anyway).

16. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

The Archie show Riverdale is already pretty dark

17. One of the better lines In the movie. I'm guessing it's Whedon's

Vidiot likes this.
  18. It's like a epic novel..you have to give it time.

marmalade166 likes this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Comic book fans have been arguing stuff like this for years. There's a whole slew of people who wear superhero outfits but they have no actual powers. I really got a kick out of them finally making this comment out loud in a movie.

20. jeroemba

jeroemba Forum Resident

I did and i felt that it could have been so much better with a good trim. I'm not against challenging and slow paced material (i'm a big fan of The Wire and Rectify) but if i felt that too many scenes were unnecessary or unnecessary long. In fact, most of these Marvel shows are what we call in french "tunnels of dialogue": a compilation of dialogue scenes. Instead of showing you, they tell you, which in my book, is not often good cinematography if it's not perfectly done.

wayneklein likes this.
  21. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

The Punisher's pacing is perfect in my estimation. One viewer's tunnel of dialogue may be another's character development. In a series like this, slow bonding of characters allows for the plausible building of trust. It provides this series an unexpected level of complexity, touching on how difficult it is for some combat veterans to fit back into their civilian roles. The Punisher manages to thread that needle without coming across as condescendingly superficial.

This is one of the best Marvel Netflix series I've watched to date, certainly better than Iron Fist and The Inhumans. I rank this'n right up there with early Daredevil and Jessica Jones. For the wife and I this is a binge watching delight.

:cheers:
    Cat

22. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

I might give this a chance, Netflix seem to be quite good with these Origin Series. I actually remember going Cinema for Dolph Lundgrens outing(which at time was a blast) and also enjoyed Thomas Jayne with John Travolta.

I kinda like the Non Super Heroes

23. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I've watched two episodes. Could do with cutting down the "Hi honeybunny I love you!" flashbacks and I don't think this story will transfer/endure well over 13 episodes.

Seems pretty generic so far but it might work out. I have hopes.

24. I do agree that the Marvel series are all a tad too long (well, except Jessica Jones and the first season of Daredevil) but, unlike Iron Fist, this is a slow burn series.

daglesj likes this.
  25. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

It's funny but I would have rather had the show be about the previous 6 months hunting down all the cartel members etc. I love a really good revenge flick.

I like the whole "I'm gonna **** your **** up sooo bad!" vibe. I was hoping it would jump back after the toilet scene.

wayneklein likes this.