New Pearl Jam Reissues, complete studio vinyl box coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bigdoug920, Sep 10, 2017.

1. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

No Binaural is better, but only slightly I would say. Both pretty good reissues though...

2. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I have stored both Binaural and Riot Act booklets outside the jacket, within a sleeve. I wouldn’t put too much weight against them though or pack them too tightly on a shelf!

3. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

I don't know what reviews you're reading, but Binaural is defintely better. Riot Act is a transitional album, headed more towards the schlocky style of what came after.

telepicker97 likes this.
  4. Canoli

Canoli Forum Resident

Is the EU version of Ten better than the US?

marcfeld69 likes this.
  5. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Interesting, I was basing it on Amazon reviews, Riot Act is at 4.4 and Binaural at 4.2, each with over 400 reviews.I know it is not the best source but still provides a rough overview of overall opinion. I am sure I will like both albums.

6. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Amazon is a terrible thing to use to rate music. For a start, some people get confused as to whether they are reviewing the music or the service they received from the seller. Then people will review the actual quality of the item or reissue. Take the recent Bowie box...it got 1/5 stars from many reviewers based on the fact there were mistakes or the perceived quality was low.

This site is pretty good.... Pearl Jam discography

notesofachord likes this.
  7. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

I️ like riot act over binaural

PearlJamNoCode likes this.
  8. WonkyWilly

Oh yeah, they are both good albums. But "Binaural" was their last truly creative and experimental record. Some great songs and interesting, moody production. After that, they kind of headed towards a more commerical thing. "Riot Act" is the last PJ album that I truly enjoy.

telepicker97 and richbdd01 like this.
  9. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

'Pearl Jam' (Avocado) is a stunningly creative album IMO.

DPK likes this.
  10. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

Binaural could have been a much better album with Sad and Fatal, those are great songs

PearlJamNoCode and richbdd01 like this.
  11. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I think the problem is when sequencing the album, some strong songs have to be dropped if they don’t fit well. I think especially Fatal is as good as anything on the album, but I kind of understand why they left it out. It sounds quite different from the rest of the album.

12. WonkyWilly

Some people seem to think so. I find it rather uninspired and middling. But the tour was awesome!

13. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

The tour was indeed awesome.

WonkyWilly likes this.
  14. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I'll agree that Binaural is the last great PJ album. Avocado felt like a strong comeback at the time, but it doesn't quite stand up to the albums from their first decade.

15. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I disagree with this assessment. Amazon can be very useful you just have to disregard the bone heads that rate the packaging and things of that nature. Also, I stopped buying Pearl Jam after 1998 and only recently got back into all of their newer catalog starting with Lightning Bolt which is an awesome album.

16. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Also, Ten stands alone, one of the greatest albums of all time, and Vs. and Vitalogy are still better than anything that followed although I love it all. Great band!

17. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

So based on that, the musical content of the Berlin era Bowie box would completely be off your radar if you were trying to ascertain if they were decent albums from the Amazon rating...?

18. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

My local indie stores haven't gotten them but I did see Riot Act at my local FYE.

19. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I wonder if we will get Lost Dogs, I would be all over that!

agundy likes this.
  20. stonedhenge

stonedhenge Forum Resident

That would be my pick to have on vinyl too.

richbdd01 likes this.
  21. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

It is off my radar as I am not a huge Bowie fan. Amazon is a great source of information and although I do not always agree with the ratings on there it has helped turn me on to a a lot of great music. It's also pretty much the number one retail spot for new released music (i've ordered from Bull Moose, Soundstage Direct, Pop Market, Ebay, Discogs (the best site for used vinyl), and some others. What Amazon provides is top notch customer service, so good in fact, that many times they do not even ask you to send items back.

22. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Well, based on your recommendation alone, LOL, I have ordered Binaural first. Of course I'm going to get Riot Act to fill out the collection. Too bad that Amazon is out of stock.

23. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

It was just an example.... :rolleyes:

24. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

Happy to announce mine came in the mail yesterday and my riot act is not warped at all.

Going to clean them and then listen to them later.

Am curious how ten sounds

richbdd01 and DrStroganoff like this.
  25. WonkyWilly

I hope you like it! I think it's a great record. I like Riot Act too, but Binaural is unique.