Chris Robinson's new Black Crowes project

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cable hogue, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the show on the southern harmony tour i caught in 92 was one of the best concerts i've ever seen. the show in 01 post-Lions was one of the worst.

2. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

That was his 3rd marriage if I recall correctly.

3. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

Given the amount of time to touring & recording he's invested with CRB it's not surprising at all that another marriage goes kaput. In all of the interviews about the band he sounds like someone single in his 20s. That kind of commitment to a band doesn't work well for being an adult in a marriage.

Rhett and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Nor does prodigious amounts of drug usage.

Rhett likes this.
  5. Can you explain?

6. I'll turn that around. Do you really think that prodigious, Chris Robinson-like levels of drug-taking are good for one's personal relationships? That it fosters attentiveness and minimizes self-absorption?

7. I really don't know what that means.

Vinyl_Blues and Jack like this.
  8. brandb

brandb Well-Known Member

Well said. Crowes lost me from '98 until reuniting in '05. I loved those '05-06 shows with Ed and Marc. I like CRB and have seen them several times, with two more shows on the calendar this year. But the Rich/Marc collaboration in the Magpie Salute is what most interests me going forward. Saw two of the shows on this tour and have been listening regularly to the live recordings. I feel like they're just getting started.

9. That's OK, although it's being pretty purposely blind to some pretty obvious stuff.

Rhett likes this.
  10. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

The old saying applies: You can lead a horse to water...

Rosskolnikov likes this.
  11. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Thorn in his brothers side, what a ****!

12. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

It is a bit interesting or sad that the Chris and Rich seem to be battling for the soul of The Black Crowes. The question is - who is the natural heir of it's legacy? Depends on who you ask I suppose.
    For me, I believe the legacy resides with Rich and The Magpie Salute.
    For me Rich is the riff master - he sets the mood of the musical landscape. He has remained true to the spirit of The Black Crowes music identity in this Magpie venture. Chirs on the other hand has tried to get away from that and lean to a Grateful Dead sorta approach.
    Chris cannot or does not play guitar like Rich nor does he craft those Richie riffs that make for the music. Chirs is the voice and the lyricst for the Crowes and that means a lot too.
    BUT as The Magpie has been doing for a year now on tour - they've been proving to me and to others that the band is greater than one member.
    For me, Hogg has done hard work night after night learning lyrics and melodies to almost 200 songs! He really improved over the tour!

And I think Chris sees that now - after he slagged his brother earlier this year calling Magpie a Crowes cover band - which was a bit unfair - their Rich's songs too after all!
    Rich has brought a lot of happiness to fans of the Crowes by bringing this music back on the road with an awesome band he assembled!
    Chris has been divisive and negative towards such things and now he is getting a band together to do what Rich is doing?!? Wow. That's sad.

Chris ought to go back to seeing gnomes, owls, smoking bowls, eating mushrooms and making his cosmic slop even more cosmic.

13. Further

Further Forum Resident

Chris has shown so much negativity towards Magpie and has constantly claimed how he’s moved on from the Crowes and doing exactly what he wants now with CRB, it’s where he belongs doing exactly what he loves, not playing the game anymore, etc. that the only reason I can think of that he would be doing this thing now is either just to try to piss Rich off or he’s actually hoping Rich will see he still has a desire to sing these songs and invite him back. Either way, I don’t think his intentions are pure.

I for one hope that doesn’t happen and I really don’t believe it will. I just don’t see Chris wanting anything more to do with the Crowes and honestly, at this point if it were to happen just couldn’t be taken seriously, knowing Chris is only in it for the money. For all the anti-corporate, grass roots, farm-to-table stuff he talks about with CRB, it’s rather interesting that his “creative decisions” are based on nothing but getting the lions share of the cash and trying to screw everyone over. Hardly the communal spirit that he claims to subscribe to.

I guess it’s true what Marc said a few years back when asked about his time in the Crowes (aside from the fact they put a gag order on him to prevent him from talking about the band). He said, even though the band projected the image of everyone being equal on a united front, it just wasn’t true. That nothing was really as it seemed - it was all a smoke and mirrors trip.

It’s really a drag when you find out someone you admired and respected for years is really just pretending to be someone that he’s not.

14. paulbright81

paulbright81 Forum Resident

Is the 90% thing mentioned earlier accurate? Did Chris demand the lions share and that broke the band up?

Currently spinning CRB Barefoot in the Head. One of my albums of the year actually and I don't own a single Crowes album despite being well aware of their history/quality...something I will address soon.

Bonddm and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  15. I just don't buy into the generalizations and exaggerations.

16. It could be a bit of a generalization, but it's most certainly not an exaggeration.

Rhett likes this.
  17. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

True that!

18. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

From Rich's statement on the Crowes' demise in 2015:

"I love my brother and respect his talent, but his present demand that I must give up my equal share of the band, and that our drummer for 28 years and original partner, Steve Gorman, relinquish 100% of his share, reducing him to a salaried employee, is not something I could agree to."
    Read more at THE BLACK CROWES Are No More, Says Guitarist RICH ROBINSON

19. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

This is a really great long form interview/conversation Gorman had with a guy earlier this year Season 2 Episode 8: The Black Crowes Were The Most Rock 'n' Roll Rock 'n' Roll Band of the '90s

he covers all the questions you guys are asking in detail, definitely worth the listen for fans!

Basically, through members of the band leaving, Chris, Rich and Steve ended up at 33% each ownership of the band. For CR to continue, he demanded all of Steve's share, and 23% of Rich's.

From my recollection, Steve basically states in the podcast he is totally over music and doesn't have the bug to tour anymore. He's doing his radio show and raising his family and is done with the Robinsons.

highway chile, Hep Alien and ZEP77 like this.
  20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I can understand at this point not wanting Steve to be an equal co-owner. I love Steve and his drumming (those early 2005 shows with Bill Dobrow showed Steve is important), but he's not a song writer and isn't the same creative force in the band that Rich and Chris were. Chris asking Rich to give up a large portion of his ownership isn't reasonable, but I think this whole offer on Chris's part was a poison pill - an offer made intentionally onerous so as not to be accepted. Chris didn't want to do the tour, so he made his terms outlandish.

21. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

I hope that doen’t mean he’s done with Trigger Hippy.

lucan_g, BNell and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. cable hogue

cable hogue Forum Resident Thread Starter

It probably shouldn't be understated the role his wife/manager (or as she's been dubbed in amoricaland: 'Croweko Yono') played in the way CR laid out his terms to Rich and Steve.

Hell, she even bragged in the Stern interview that Chris only would appear at a hypothetical Crowes Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony "if I let him."

Bonddm likes this.
  23. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

I wouldn't read into my comment very deeply - it was just my take on how he sounded in the interview when I heard it a couple months ago. I didn't even know he had a side band. I probably should've said "totally over the music industry"

Hep Alien, Matthew Tate and Bonddm like this.
  24. paulbright81

paulbright81 Forum Resident

Thanks for the info

25. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I agree the soul of the band musically is with Rich, just like the soul of the Stones lies with Keith. But admittedly I'm into music for the bands, more than the singers in most cases. Obviously both need to be there to be The Black Crowes, but since I'm having to choose, I'd rather see Rich & Marc together than Chris' Crowes project, but that's just me.

Just like if the Stones had never reunited in '89, I'd much rather see whatever Keith was doing than anything like the band Mick assembled for his '88 tour (even though I'm a huge fan of many of his solo band members).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.