Do you have a working Nintendo NES game system

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by white wolf, Jun 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I could never beat the first one, either. And later on, there was one for Xbox, and that thing was incredibly hard, as well.

2. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Yeah, that Xbox version had a reputation as being one of the hardest games ever.... I don't think I ever made it past the first or second level! :p

Grunge Master likes this.
  3. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I just snagged a copy of Turtles in Time for the SNES.... finished it on easy mode in about 30 minutes, but apparently it's one of those games where you have to beat it on hard mode to get the "real" ending. :p

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

That's a really fun one to play with a friend. Makes me want to play the arcade game.

5. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Forum Resident

Turtles in Time is a masterpiece. Turtles III: Manhattan Project for NES is awesome too and very long and difficult to beat.

6. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

All of the first four Turtle games are great. Even the first one and its extreme difficulty level!

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Oh, that first game gave me so many headaches... That level where you have to swim around defusing bombs and avoiding the electric seaweed or whatever that is was so annoying and stressful!

marblesmike likes this.
  8. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Yeah--that's the one!

9. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

That level never gave me much trouble... I could usually beat it pretty easily.
    There were definitely some tough-as-hell spots later on in the game, though!

10. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I sold all of my NES games a few weeks ago, and thankfully, I basically managed to break even. I'm keeping the system itself just in case I want to buy a flashcart. If I don't go that rouelte, then I'll be fine with my modded NES Classic Edition.

11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

"You can just walk over it..."

12. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Btw, most of the issues have been uploaded in pdf format to the interwebz if anyone needs the Power.

Nintendo Power Issues 1 - 127

marblesmike likes this.
  13. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I still have the very first issue! And the Castlevania one where the guy is holding Dracula's head.

14. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Yes, my older sister had it as a child and gave it to me a few years ago - I only have five games, but I keep looking for them (hard to find nowadays if you don't wanna pay 80+ bucks for a copy of Contra/Probotector):

Super Mario Bros.
    Super Mario Bros. 3
    Ice Climbers
    Rockin' Kats
    Bart Simpson vs. the World

Halloween Jack likes this.
  15. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I recently picked up a modded NES Top-Loader that has composite A/V outputs. Much more reliable than the three traditional NES units that I have.

These were only produced for a short time during the end of the NES's lifecycle. It does away with the 72-pin folding connector that causes so many issues with loading cartridges. Unfortunately they eliminated the RCA A/V outputs unless you were lucky enough to have sent the unit in to Nintendo to have them add the outputs.

[​IMG]

The Hud likes this.
  16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I love those top loaders! Yeah, they're much more reliable than the terrible design of the first NESes. They should have made them with A/V outputs to begin with.

17. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

It's interesting that the original North American NES design was to make it look like a VCR and not a toy to encourage adults to buy it and not think of it as a fad like the systems previously available. It was a terrible design but I remember thinking it looked pretty cool back then.

I don't even remember the top-loaders being available back then. By that point I'd upgraded to a Genesis and the NES was history.

18. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I bought a modded NES Top Loader off eBay a couple of years ago and I love it. It didn't come with a dogbone controller, unfortunately. These are great investments with the popularity of retro gaming continuing to increase and their limited production run.

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  19. Halloween Jack

Rockin' Kats is awesome; and has nice graphics. You just have to practice with the elastic glove. Give it a chance.

20. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

I WISH I still had the SNES I had as a kid. But I lost it along with all my other gaming systems (n64, game cube, etc) in a flood. Got one of the new off brand remakes (don't remember the name of it) with a few SNES games I've been able to find here and there. I believe it also has a slot for NES games as well.

21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

RetCon 5? :)

Hadean75 likes this.
  22. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

I think it was this one actually lol:

[​IMG]

23. Halloween Jack

That looks awesome!

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Wow, that looks like a Super Nintendo on steroids! That's pretty cool! :)

Hadean75 likes this.
  25. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

I know, it's a very underrated game and renains a favorite on my old TV :agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.