New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

For Piper, I find the mono version more psychedelic-sounding. The extra reverb on the vocals makes it sound that much more ethereal - not to mention that I'm not too crazy about the certain instruments being only on one channel. Beacause it's such a wild recording, I find that the mono seems more focused. I love the stereo as well. Luckily, I never had the chance to get used to one over the other - like I did with the Beatles - and discovered the stereo and the mono at around the same time - believe it or not, when the reissue came out.
    I have the 3 cd set as well, unfortunately, it sounds compressed, so hoping that the vinyl will be without compression, like the rest of the reissues.

NunoBento and Norco74 like this.
  2. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Ah, got your point. I listened to Piper CD (stereo) this week and found the instruments a bit too much mixed on either left or right channel, no depth.

BlueSpeedway and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  3. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

I thought you had the stereo vinyl, no?

4. Norco74

Yes, I do. I was spinning the new japanese mini LP serie this week.

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  5. paolo

paolo Senior Member

Pretty much all of them. The first 2 albums were done at Optimal and maybe 1 other but the rest have all been RI.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  6. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

The first 4 albums(Pipers, SOS, More & UmmaGumma) were Pressed at Optimal(EU Release) and RTI(US Release). All the rest of the albums were Pressed at RI(for both EU & US Releases). There was some complaining about Dished Vinyl from several people on here, who bought the US-RTI Pressed first 4 albums, so I bought the EU versions to get the Optimal Pressings.

paolo and andrewskyDE like this.
  7. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

Thank you, I'll think about it. Very high S/H rates actually: CAD 15.98

8. grandegi

Not surprised that different gear and ears lead to different conclusions, I'm actually tempted to get both the Sax and the Grundman...

9. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I compared both to a UK first press and Nimbus Supercut and felt the Grundman came closest. Main problem with 2011 was pressing quality, and it took 3 to get a perfect copy. Out of the three 2011 titles released WYWH is the only one that sounds really good. I would also strongly recommend the Analog Productions SACD.

10. grandegi

So you prefer the Grundman DSOTM to the Sax? I got it a couple of days ago, it sounds fine but I wondered whether the Sax is more gentle on the upper mids

11. Norco74

If you can afford both of them then go for it! They are both interesting to listen to.

grandegi likes this.
  12. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

The Grundman Dark Side is a really nice sounding pressing. I prefer my 30th and Wally cut, but not by much.

Norco74 and grandegi like this.
  13. Norco74

Again rhe BG version is characterized by his mastering signature that is present on all of the 2016 releases. They all sound sweet. The DSOTM Sax 30th version sits you closer to David Gilmour’s guitar amp...

Mr_Vinyl and Dr. Funk like this.
  14. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I purchased 6 of the Grundman reissues. Meddle, Obscured By Clouds, The Dark Side Of The Moon, Animals, The Wall, and The Final Cut. I am pleased with them all, but Animals is the one that really shines, and improves from the US original (my opinion of course).

Norco74 likes this.
  15. grandegi

That crackle on Sheep is actually what bothers me when I listen to my original UK LP.... thought it was an issue with my 2U/2U copy...

16. culabula

culabula Unread author.

It’s back on 'Collection'! Sentimental?

17. Some bad reviews on Amazon Germany for DSOT and ACOGDS. Pressing defects and scratches. Hard to say how widespread this is.

grandegi likes this.
  18. ScottInDallas

ScottInDallas Forum Resident

Bought the only copy of DSOT in stock at my local Barnes & Noble. Lots of crackle and pops on side A of LP #1.

grandegi likes this.
  19. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

Yeah I have owned a few UK first presses of Animals and they all have crackle during the intro to Sheep. Still I put up with it as it is still the best way to listen to this album IMO. Dogs sounds amazing on a first press - no matter how high you crank the volume it never seems too loud. Blows any subsequent pressings or digital versions into the weeds.

ODShowtime and grandegi like this.
  20. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Just today I got Wish You Were Here in the mail from Amazon, and it's going right back. Big, visible scratches across a big part of the first track on the first side of the record. Noise at the start of the second side as well. This is the US Bernie Grundman version, by the way.

It's been my experience that if you get a good copy, it is indeed very good. But there's always a chance you'll get a damaged record.

grandegi likes this.
  21. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

Today I have received my copy of Delicate Sound Of Thunder. Very clean surface, any garbage, any scratches, any crackle. But on the side A there is a flow of vinyl weight directly on grooves! Very unpleasantly, but there is no wish to return such clean copy.

22. brfloydfan

brfloydfan Forum Resident

Oh, so it's a mistake? I thought they have included the song on the reissue!

23. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident

So I preordered Delicate Sound of Thunder on Amazon over a month ago, and I got a message today stating they wouldn't have it until at least Dec 20th.

I would have chalked this up to some sort of release delay, but I saw the album at Newbury Comics today, so I know it's out.

Did anyone get a copy from Amazon yet?

24. Javier Santivanez

Javier Santivanez Forum Resident

I did and it was flawless. Strangely enough they got it in stock in the following link:
    https://www.amazon.com/Delicate-Sou...pID=518GrogLpML&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

25. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident