Tom Waits Reissuing Anti Records Albums (2017), incl. Orphans (2018) Plus Elektra Back Catalogue *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I got the EU pressing of Bad As Me on Friday and thought it sounded good, quiet, flat pressing too.

2. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Could you post deadwax info, please?

3. Geoff

Geoff Senior Member

I saw the vinyl for Real Gone, Alice and Blood Money today. Not buying until somebody can tell me how they compare to the originals, particularly the 2LP Alice and the remixed Real Gone...

4. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

I'm still puzzled as to why any of these records needed remastering. I'm intrigued, but even if there are improvements to be made, I can't imagine them being significant enough that I'd feel compelled to buy these records again.
    The original Alice record was used by What Hi-Fi as a test record in their recent review of the new Rega P6 turntable. How bad can it be?
    I think you should be thinking more altruistically, Geoff. 'Take one for the team' as it were, and let the rest of us know how they sound! :)

Mateo Sanboval likes this.
  5. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

It is puzzling. I think (not sure) but I think I saw that they were remixed too, right? If so, a remix would warrant a remastering just by default. Maybe they weren't all remixed. But if so, why remix?

6. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

I believe it's Real Gone that's had the remix, which I would like to hear but not so much that I'll be buying a third copy of it (already have it on cd and vinyl.) The others are remasters only.

7. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

Orphans on Vinyl and it's not $650? Count me in!

8. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

But only separately and without the bonus cuts?
    (legit question, not snark)

9. keithdylan

keithdylan Master of His Own Domain

Is Alice now 2 l.p.s because of it's 48 minute run time, or did they expand it?

10. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Didn't dig the "Hoist That Rag" remix very much. The guitar solo, which was a highlight, is now competing with some horns. This was my favorite track on the original album so maybe Im inflexible at this point. Me thinks Ill stick with the original.

Turbo2k likes this.
  11. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Wow. I've just listened to the remixed Hoist That Rag. If Tom has altered all the songs like this, he should have called this release something like "Hoist That Rag: The Real Gone remixes".

Turbo2k likes this.
  12. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Is that how they are doing or are playing Devils advocate there?
    Also a legit question, not snark.

I really want the whole set with the bonus LP at a reasonable price.

13. Turbo2k

Turbo2k Forum Resident

I wonder if all songs has been as radically changed as Hoist That Rag? I prefer the original version, that guitar solo was amazing on the original, now the horns are there fighting for attention and it sounds cluttered... but I'll give a remix like this a listen and see, maybe something interesting will come out of it.
    But I agree it should have had a different name and cover to set it apart from the original.

baconbadge and mick_sh like this.
  14. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Watch for some surprises in Alice too. Table Top Joe has a trombone solo at the end of the song not present in the original edition.

15. keithdylan

keithdylan Master of His Own Domain

This is a quote from a Facebook post from the Waits' account:

Now, all seven titles have been remastered and are back in print. Waits and Brennan oversaw the remastering process so they would sound as good as the original versions (no need to buy it again if you already have it)

Kinda implies that outside of Real Gone, if you've got it, you don't need the new ones. Wow, I wish most reissue series were that open and honest.

16. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

I don't know. I thought I read that posted here, but it may have been another forum I occasionaly frewuent. Either way someone had read, and posted, something indicating that they would be three separate releases. Now, perhaps that is only a part of the story and the whole set will be faithfully reissued as well as being issued as separates for the first time. I'm hopeful for a full box set repress myself.

vudicus likes this.
  17. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

18. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Is it the same mix as the original but longer/extended or is this a remix like "Real Gone"?

19. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

20. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Same length in both. Other than the trombone in this song, I'm not hearing any differences in the mix, but I don't know "Alice" well enough to spot small differences. On the other hand, I have listened to the original "Real Gone" like a thousand of times and I'm really enjoying the remix. If you don't fall in the "which version is better" game you will enjoy this thing a lot.

vudicus likes this.
  21. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

22. SoreFinger

SoreFinger Forum Resident

I bought Bad as Me Remastered vinyl and I have the original. Differences? I can definitely hear a difference... The remastered sounds less compressed and the songs breathe a little easier; There's some subtle shifts of emphasis on the songs that brings the musicality forward; Detail is more tangible. Overall it's a more pleasing listen and the whole album sits together as a more complex piece. You might think I'm talking mumbo jumbo because it's very subtle BUT you will hear what I mean. I really enjoyed listening to it all the way through and it's dead flat and dead quiet. Worth the £17.99 upgrade.

23. SoreFinger

SoreFinger Forum Resident

I have Blood Money and Alice arriving tomorrow so I'll post details on those. What I will say is that after listening to them side by side with the originals on Spotify, Blood money felt again, less compressed, more dynamics and detail as a result and a less subtle shift in overall feel. Tom's voice sounds less squashed and more human with details that were missing before. Again, I reckon it'll be worth it... I REALLY enjoyed the new Blood Money and I think the same applies to Alice (my favourite LP) but i'll have to give it a close listen.

Centurion and sennj like this.
  24. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Here's what his account just tweeted about the remix:

‘Real Gone’ has been remixed and remastered by Waits/Brennan to sound better than ever on digital music services. Some new mixes are radical transformations from the original versions and the whole album crackles with fuller intensity. Listen now: Real Gone by Tom Waits Tom Waits (ANTI-) on Twitter

'Radical transformations' sounds interesting...

25. baconbadge

baconbadge Chooglin’

Listening to the Real Gone remix now and it's substantially different from the original. I know this record well. My first impression is that it is a mix that would likely appeal to a new younger audience... a more "modern" mix, if you will. Some things I like better, some I don't. Lyrics are definitely easier to make out, which is cool. "How's It Gonna End" & "Sins of My Father" are such friggin masterpieces. The whole record is a much more intimate experience... A more "welcoming" mix. I'll probably get the vinyl.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    Dan Burns likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.