Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

My personal opinion, I thought TFA was nothing more that a safe cash-grab by Diznee to make Gen-Xers and the people who grew up with the OT feel all nostalgic and warm and fuzzy inside. They ultimately have to answer to Wall Street, I mean their shareholders.

I liked Rogue One. I thought it was a great story. I especially loved the Vader scene at the end.

However, I have a bad feeling about TLJ. I think it will be nothing more than ESB Version 2.0. There will be a cliff-hanger at the end and it will have audiences on their seats waiting for Episode 9 in 2 years. Again, Diznee is going safe, "protecting" their investment and making Billions of dollars. I get it, it's a business decision. I don't like it, but I understand.

And when I look at the roadmap of the Star Wars franchise in the upcoming years, there's going to be a movie virtually every year. Everybody gets their own movie, Han Solo, Boba Fett, Poe Dameron, etc. To me it waters down the product. Are we going to have a VH1 Behind the Music: Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes?

But then again, I don't have P&L responsibilities at Diznee.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Tristero and Stratoblaster like this.
  2. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

So TLJ shouldn't end in a cliffhanger?

3. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I agree. These films are a trilogy, so by necessity each film tells only one third of the story. There's no way around cutting the story off and continuing it in the next film. Except for Part 3 I suppose.

4. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

The newest TV spot. Oh yes.

artfromtex and Jason Manley like this.
  5. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

I can't stop watching new clips but I feel like I need to.

6. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Just avoid the comments sections of all platforms (Facebook, YouTube, etc.). We're fast approaching the point where spoilers will start leaking, and unfortunately there are lots of trolls who love randomly posting spoilers, even in threads/posts that have nothing to do with "Star Wars." (The big "shock" in TFA was spoiled to me precisely this way.)

7. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Which Part 3? Part 3 of the OT? Or Part 3 of the Prequels? Or Part three of this Trilogy? Or Part 3 of the next trilogy?

Also, with the addition of TLJ each Star Wars movie will be telling 1/8 of the story 3 + 3 + 1 + 1. Episode IX, due in 2019, will tell 1/9 of the story. And I will bet you every dollar I have there will be an Episode X, XI, and XII. Which will tell 1/10, 1/11 and 1/12, respectively of the Star Wars saga.

Then, we could use a simple algebraic formula to calculate the additional contributions by each new film, or go exotic and set up an integral using Calculus. I'm sure Diznee will be pumping these movies out until until the next extinction event on Planet Earth.

And don't take this seriously. Just having fun with math.

8. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

That's already been officially announced. I'm not certain if the Rian Johnson trilogy will carry the episode numbers or not.

9. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Each film tells one third of the trilogy it is part of. It wasn't meant to be a difficult concept.

And the third film in the trilogy (i.e. Part 3) wouldn't have a cliffhanger ending, since it's the completion of that particular contained story.

Encuentro likes this.
  10. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I guess it depends on where his story falls. Which probably hasn't really been decided yet.

Encuentro likes this.
  11. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

What he says :) ^^^

daca likes this.
  12. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster A skeptical believer....

I loved Darth Vader's entrance in Star Wars. He didn't have to overtly show, via lightsaber, force choke, or any other method, that he was a very bad guy and not to be trifled with. His very presence just by walking in, taking a look around, and moving along was more then enough to show his sinister, menacing character and that he was in charge.

The "Corridor Of Carnage" Darth Vader scene at the end of Rogue One will never be topped by Kylo Ren for sheer evilness and awesomeness :cool:

delmonaco, Tristero and daca like this.
  13. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Kylo Ren is not Darth Vader. Kylo Ren is Kylo Ren. He’s not a bad ass. He’s not supposed to be a bad ass. Darth Vader has already been done. Creating a villain that is the equal of Darth Vader would be redundant. It would be a rehash, a criticism routinely leveled at The Force Awakens, which leads us to the elephant in the room regarding criticisms of Kylo Ren and The Force Awakens. You’re damned if you do, and you’re damned if you don’t. The film is criticized by some for being a rehash, but many of those same critics criticize Kylo Ren for not being Darth Bader.

14. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I don't know why so many people wet themselves over that Darth Vader scene in Rogue One. It was gratuitous fan service that made no sense when you take some of the dialogue in the original Star Wars into account.

15. Stratoblaster

Because, after how his evilness/character was eviscerated in the prequels (the baddest guy in the universe was a whiny, love sick, irritating, very uncool dweeb), it returned Darth Vader (my all time favorite bad guy) to the nasty, dark, truly menacing and evil character we all know and love :)

That one scene fixed everything wrong with his character. Needed to have been done IMO and am glad it was. It brought balance back to the Force ;)

16. Stratoblaster

I would agree with this. But, I only really figured that out fairly recently after watching the new movie previews. At the time I saw it I thought he was supposed to be the 'next Darth Vader' since so much of the film was...'inspired' from the original Star Wars.

To be honest I haven't really given the TFA characters/story lines a lot of thought nor deep analysis. I'm cautiously optimistic for the forthcoming film though.

17. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Kylo Ren has anger issues I don't see him as being a whiny brat. I think people are confusing him with Anakin.

Lownote30 likes this.
  18. Stratoblaster

I'm still of the opinion TFA was wholly gratuitous fan service and very little more; it didn't add much, if anything, to the 'lore' of Star Wars IMO and I strongly disliked many, many things about it. Had some cool visuals though (the crashed StarDestroyer, the beached AT-AT...that's all I can remember as I've not seen it since it was in the theaters.)

19. Stratoblaster

Agreed...I suspect we are in for some surprises regarding Kylo Ren and how is character will develop. I sure hope so; Anakin also had anger issues and was a whiny brat. Kylo Ren, in TFA, already has half of those characteristics. I just hope they add depth and make him far more intriguing. When he vented out his anger I couldn't help but to compare him to a petulant teenager who's mother wouldn't drive him to the mall on a Saturday afternoon o_O

20. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Agreed, and that Vader scene was the most gratuitous of all. Simply silly.

Rian Johnson overseeing a separate trilogy has promise. A friend mentioned yesterday that a trilogy of the Old Republic has been floated as a rumor, and if it's aligned with the qualities sketched in Ben Kenobi's speech in the 1977 film, then it would be worth undertaking. Far too soon to tell, though. Let's get through December and see how we all feel then. :)

Stratoblaster likes this.
  21. Stratoblaster

Noooo, noooo, it rocked....arg now you've made me go crazy and slash up my microwave with my lightsaber to quell my rage :winkgrin:

I'm of the same opinion; I'm very curious and excited to see where the next trilogy will go. I think it'll be liberating for the makers to not have to be tied down to existing characters/locals/story lines and create a whole new Star Wars experience.

enro99 likes this.
  22. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Have you told your psychiatrist that there's a new Star Wars movie coming out?

23. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I think if we hadn't had all the extraneous Star Wars stuff over the past few decades - books, videogames, tv shows, etc - then people would think TFA added quite a bit.

It established that Han & Leia had at least one child, and that one child had force powers, and ultimately killed his father. That alone is a significant addition to the official canon. And the mystery of who Rey is will end up being a significant development in the overall story as well.

But people have very high expectations to be surprised/shocked, because they've seen so many spinoff stories and have considered so many possibilities/characters/tangents, that nothing seems to surprise anymore.

Stratoblaster likes this.
  24. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

The Vader scene from ROGUE ONE felt completely tacked on and completely unnecessary bringing me back to my original notion about the film as I watched for the 2+ hours that the whole endeavor felt unnecessary. I didn't have a reason to care about anyone in that movie nor did I.

THE FORCE AWAKENS, on the other hand, had some heart and spunk that is reminiscent of the Star Wars I once loved and hope to love again. And I did genuinely care about Rey, Finn, Kylo and to a lesser extent Poe. I'm actually emotionally invested in their story and how it will progress. I think Abrams and Kasdan set up Johnson to be able to take the story wherever he chose to.

Let's face it, these movies exist less out of a creative desire to tell stories and more out of a desire to make a return on an investment. Knowing that going in allowed me, at least, to compartmentalize those thoughts and just enjoy the story as long as it gave me something to sink my teeth into. I feel like we largely got the story that Abrams, Kasdan and Michael Arndt were trying to tell without a ton of studio meddling. And for such a big budget risk, I appreciated that. ROGUE ONE felt like the polar opposite of that.

ohnothimagen, Jrr and Solaris like this.
  25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Exactly what I was going to post! Sometimes more is said by not saying anything. It worked, but I liked Kylo's entrance too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.