New Simple Minds album, "Walk Between Worlds", set for release 02/02/2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

STANDARD TRACKLIST

1. Magic
    2. Summer
    3. Utopia
    4. The Signal and The Noise
    5. In Dreams
    6. Barrowland Star
    7. Walk Between Worlds
    8. Sense Of Discovery

DELUXE EDITIONS INCLUDE THE BONUS TRACKS:

1. Silent Kiss
    2. Angel Underneath My Skin
    3. Dirty Old Town (live)

On 2nd February, BMG will release WALK BETWEEN WORLDS, Simple Minds’ first album of new material since 2014’s Big Music (which MOJO magazine declared “their best album in 30 years”).

WALK BETWEEN WORLDS was produced by Simple Minds with Andy Wright and Gavin Goldberg, both of whom worked on Big Music. With its eight tracks rocketing past in 42 minutes, it is a relatively concise affair. It is also an album of two distinct sides, very much the old-school album format that singer Jim Kerr and Charlie Burchill grew up with as music fans. Side one tracks such as Summer and The Signal And The Noise revisit the glassy guitars and new wave dance grooves of the post-punk era and the second half explores more cinematic sounds, with the title track and Barrowland Star both featuring dramatic orchestrations recorded at Abbey Road.

The album is bookended by two songs about faith, Magic and Sense Of Discovery. The first is a reflection on the desire and hunger of youth – the faith in their own abilities that Simple Minds possessed during their formative years. Sense Of Discovery, which features a melodic refrain that alludes to 1985’s Alive And Kicking, is centred on the voice of an older narrator passing on wisdom and advice to a younger individual.

One of the album’s key tracks is Barrowland Star, named after the iconic ballroom in the East End of Glasgow that has hosted many memorable Simple Minds shows. It’s a song that takes the band away from their traditional comfort zone, layering strings and a spellbinding Charlie guitar solo (one that reminds Jim of Mick Ronson) over some poignant words. For Jim and Charlie playing the Barrowland was always a big deal, a mixture of excitement – and fear – it felt as if they were about to engage in a prize-fight rather than simply play a rock concert.

The album artwork is by Brazilian visual artist Heitor Magno, whose work is often a surreal montage of vivid coloured imagery and black and white photography. The image he has created for WALK BETWEEN WORLDS is emblematic of Simple Minds metamorphosis. The central character on the front cover bearing an uncanny resemblance to a young Jim Kerr – the sleeve could also be viewed as a telling throwback to the Sons And Fascination era.

Simple Minds were the standard bearers for a new kind of rock in the Eighties, when they took the art-rock invention of post-punk and constructed a musical Colossus by adding rousing choruses and a touch of Celtic soul. As they contemplate turning 40, their legacy is something to be proud of and with WALK BETWEEN WORLDS their story continues to evolve.

With Jim and Charlie now part of a theatrical gang of musicians that are, in Jim’s words, ‘more inspired by the likes Sly & The Family Stone than a traditional male rock band’, the tour will feature the Acoustic tour line up of: Jim and Charlie, percussionist Cherisse Osei and backing vocalist Catherine AD alongside band mainstays Ged Grimes on bass, multi-instrumentalist Gordy Goudie, and regular backing singer (and sometimes lead vocalist) Sarah Brown. ‘The whole stage set-up is now more fluid,’ says Charlie. ‘We’re working on fresh arrangements of some old songs, and there is going to be more movement between the musicians onstage. There will be time for people to digest the songs and more space for Jim to talk to the audience.’

JeffMo, godslonelyman, Surly and 4 others like this.
  2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yeay! I guess the exclusion of Mel Gaynor will be a sore point for some.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Dave 81828384 likes this.
  3. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

Nice! Let it come!!

DTK likes this.
  4. cber1517

cber1517 Forum Resident

Yes, that is a bummer. I hope the drums are not as programmed as they were on Big Music even though the record was great. I am excited about this one nevertheless!

DTK likes this.
  5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes I hope for live drums too. Much looking forward to a new album!

sunking101 likes this.
  6. cber1517

cber1517 Forum Resident

Found this quick clip -

Munros1969, DTK and pghmusiclover like this.
  7. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

I don't have a good feeling about this one. The idea of Simple Minds as a "theatrical gang" seems so far removed from the brilliant 5X5 live tour.

Dil likes this.
  8. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

I was very disappointed to see he wasn’t mentioned... he’s a great drummer. After the acoustic album his absence would certainly make me think twice about getting this. Hope the tunes are strong.

DTK likes this.
  9. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It's clear Jim and Charlie are trying to stay ahead of the curve, be a commercial proposition instead of an oldies act. Even to the point of emphasising the female members. Admirable or desperate? It's subjective :). Either way, the last album was pretty good.

Defrance and Dave 81828384 like this.
  10. Munros1969

Agreed... Jim Kerr having “more space to talk to the audience” doesn’t give much encouragement.

Rufus rag and Dave 81828384 like this.
  11. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

No argument there :laugh:. "Let me see your hands...let me see your hands...let me see your hands."

JeffMo, longdist01, Rufus rag and 4 others like this.
  12. Munros1969

DTK... when you mention the last album do you mean Big Music or the acoustic live album? I enjoyed the studio set but the acoustic album did nothing for me.

13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I mean Big Music. The acoustic thing I only bought as I am a completist. Did little for me either,sadly. Not a great idea.

14. Munros1969

Big Music was pretty good. Like you I found the acoustic album disappointing. Having heard it on Spotify I couldn’t bring myself to buy it, first Simple Minds album I haven’t gone for.

Defrance and DTK like this.
  15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I bought it on discount. Actually, I first dropped off as a fan after Real Life; I found half of that album and Good News From The Next World turgid. But came back after Neapolis (which I still like).

Munros1969 and Dave 81828384 like this.
  16. Dave 81828384

There are some great tracks on Big Music. I don't think I've listened to Acoustic more than once.

Munros1969 and DTK like this.
  17. Dave 81828384

Neapolis brought me back as well. I started losing interest after New Gold Dream.

DTK likes this.
  18. Dave 81828384

19. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Good, a new release to look forward to in the new year!

DTK likes this.
  20. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

Sounds interesting. Will be looking forward to it.

later

21. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

Oh, man... I think I never got to listen to Big Music...

I'll be following this space :)

22. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

Well, I'm excited, since they're my favorite band. Big Music was (and still is!) a very satisfying listen, so I'm looking forward to hearing what's next. I also like the Acoustic album but seem to be in the minority here. I have the live album/DVD set as well, which I enjoy, but it gets tough watching after a while because Jim is sweating so profusely as the show goes on. One would think he'd go change his shirt before the encore, but, ah....no. Kind of glad I didn't spring for the blu-ray on that one.

It's weird, though - Mel Gaynor was on The Hustle podcast recently and I thought he said he'd be on this tour, but I guess not. He did say that he was not included in the Acoustic thing and seemed disappointed/confused. Not sure what happened there.

JeffMo, DTK and pghmusiclover like this.
  23. godslonelyman

godslonelyman Forum Resident

The acoustic fase didnt really hooked me. Granted, some of the interpretations where good, I liked the drum intro to NGD and the crescendos of Waterfront. The live rendering of Big Sleep stood out as well.
    Wouldnt worry too much regarding Mels departure, he'll probably be back eventually. Besides, he seems preoccupied doing solo stuff at the moment.
    Like the artwork of WBW so far, very striking and mysterious.

JeffMo likes this.
  24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Nice avatar. I take it you are pleased with the announcement. :D

Surly likes this.
  25. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Agree. The description does not bode well, IMO. I won´t mind being disproved, of course. And I think Big Music was really good, but did not care for the acoustic one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.