Amazon reviews

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by zonka, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zonka

zonka Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well color me naive....interesting situation (to me, at least). Mike Love's new album came out Friday. I went to Amazon to read reviews and there were 12 reviews - every one of them 1 star (most of the reviews were hilarious). I've never seen that before. Tonight I went to show my friend, who's a huge Beach Boys fan, these reviews and.....there were only 5 reviews - 4 were 5 stars, one was 4 stars!

Anyone ever seen anything like this? Guess I'm not surprised a company would do that since they are trying to move as much product as possible, but still disappointing to know they purge honest reviews.....

MikaelaArsenault and Lightworker like this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Could explain IMDb message board awol.

3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

The one star reviews were not verified buyers and were clearly posted by people with an axe to grind who hadn't even heard the album. They did nothing to assist potential buyers in making a decision, which is what reviews are supposed to do.

I also noticed people who left positive reviews were being harrassed in the comments section. Those comments were also deleted.

These same 1 star reviewers gave Mikes book one star and said it was "full of lies", even though they probably didnt read it (although one reviewer claims to have read most of it while standing around in Barnes and Noble, which is quite an accomplishment considering the books length). Naturally they gave Brians book 5 stars.

Perhaps some good Samaritan reported the rude comments to Amazon.

:shh:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  4. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Amazon Reviews are to be taken with grains of salt.

What would be really tremendous is if the Amazon info was accurate about what version of a cd was on offer, and always included track lists!

5. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

I recently wrote a pretty scathing review about a $35 cardboard CD/DVD/photo storage box(seriously,they exist). The one I found cost me fifty cents.Neither the company's description of the product their website nor their Amazon page told the facts. Amazon rejected two versions of my review,stating "guideline infractions". Eventually got most of my points across to discourage purchasing,but Amazon does not like that kind of stuff and they pay humans or bots to oversee reviews.

ParloFax likes this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It annoys me when some fool will give a product one star because the package was late arriving or something... You’re not reviewing Amazon’s performance.. Just what they’re selling.:)

7. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I don’t bother looking at music reviews anymore. I let my ears decide.

The thing about Amazon is that anyone can write a review. It doesn’t matter whether they heard the album or not. Some people use it as a way to gripe about an artist or simply to troll.

8. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Slightly off topic but I love how people write a bad review of a product when they’re disappointed in Amazon’s performance.

nick99nack, tkl7, Summerisle and 2 others like this.
  9. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Not wishing to be direspectful, but isn't that true of this site too ?

10. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I've not been a member here for too long but I have to say that I've found this to be the most respectful & well informed music forum on the web.

I'm sure there are exceptions but we seem to have discussions here rather than arguments & users tend to be insightful even when their views are the polar opposite to mine.

11. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

There are fewer and fewer places for the trolls to go these days since message boards (imdb, msn, etc.) keep closing; so they go to wherever they can get their pathetic word out. Anyway, you can always use the "throw out the best and worst reviews" method, and somewhere in the middle you get the real story.

WilliamWes likes this.
  12. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I use Amazon reviews for products, not so much for music. I come HERE for music reviews.

If there are only a handful of reviews you definitely have to take them with a grain of salt. I feel better if there's hundreds of reviews as that carries more weight.

tkl7 likes this.
  13. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

....yes. When you want specific details on a new release of an old album, for instance, and all you get are reviews of the album from years ago.

14. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

YES

GuinnessDan and chrisblower like this.
  15. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Good chance that Amazon was contacted by the King of All Litigation and was told to take down the one star reviews or deal with him and his 100 man legal team in court. He's decidedly a much better performer in the halls of justice than he is on writing and recording, *ahem*, songs.

Lost In The Flood and Jimmy B. like this.
  16. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Absolutely. This applies to countless products being sold through Amazon since most reviews are poorly written, effortless, and highly misleading.

It's the reason why there's so many Crosley players getting rave reviews.

17. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

There are a lot of people who detest Mike Love so much as a person (even though they only know him through things they've read about him) that they're preconditioned to dislike his music and will not allow themselves to consider any of it good. I even got thrown out of an anti-Mike Love Facebook group (which I only joined to try to balance their perspective but soon found out they didn't want their perspective balanced) for posting a favorable review of Mike's 1981 Looking Back With Love album on Amazon.

citizensmurf likes this.
  18. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

It's not even just trolls anymore, the culture of negativity had infected so much of the social media and internet platforms that it's very commonplace to trash someone or something rather than give an informed opinion. When everyone is allowed to comment on certain topic, it quickly turns ugly. Especially when it's anonymous.

jimod99, WilliamWes, ParloFax and 2 others like this.
  19. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

The Anti-Love group, that's hilarious. I'm not a huge Mike Love fan, but that's going way overboard in the hate department.

Fullbug and Folknik like this.
  20. konajinx

konajinx Forum Resident

Was just going to post a thread asking for people's opinion on Mike's new disc. I listened to it on YouTube after someone posted about it on Reddit. It's pretty much not good. The BB remakes are completely pointless and the new material is pretty lackluster. About what I expected.

oldsurferdude likes this.
  21. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

I write reviews on Amazon when I'm so moved (done about 10 or so)...that would be quite a nice feature on this site don't you think ?

carlwm likes this.
  22. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Michael Jackson's fans used to arrange organised campaigns against anything they they felt portrayed him in a way that they didn't approve.
    There is a fantastic and hefty book that those closest to MJ said was accurate, however the fans organised a 1 star campaign on Amazon.
    They truly were the most scary fans....

23. 16s

16s Forum Resident

When i look at the reviews for a for a vinyl record i get all the CD reviews - hate this!!!

RobNeil likes this.
  24. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I don't understand why Amazon doesn't demand that the source of a disk provide a track list. Surely that would increase the chance for a sale....

25. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

So this thread is a review of the Amazon reviews.... perhaps we need a poll... ;)

nick99nack and arthurprecarious like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.