Heat (1995) - Director's Definitive Edition Blu-ray coming May 9th

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rocker, Apr 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

We are seeing more 4K UHD releases of older films so it would not surprise me to see this coming out on soon. When it does I will be upgrading.

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

It seems 20th Century Fox and Paramount are leading the way of releasing 4K films digitally, but holding out on the 4K UHD Blu-ray version.

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What's the VHS like, extra scenes?

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

"Heat" is currently on sale (to own) for $4.99 via iTunes. What a cheap way to own this in 4K! Assuming you have the Apple TV 4K and appropriate 4K TV.

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

One of the local big stores has three 4K titles /discs for 60.00 loads of them.
    Nobody buying methinks or overpriced in the first place.

6. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Remaining skeptical. Streaming isn't for serious viewing. I'm happy that this is available, but I wouldn't want anyone to believe that 4K UHD physical discs have been dethroned.

Save the money and get the real thing when it comes around.

7. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I'm not sure what your point is. I'll have over 50 titles released on 4K UHD|HDR by the end of January. Pricing not much of a problem.

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Ready to read your comparison analysis. I have ~50 4K streaming titles, and a similar amount of 4K UHD Blu-ray discs. No one says discs have been "dethroned". But for anyone viewing at <60" screen size, even videophiles will have a hard time telling any difference.

You can save your money, I'm gonna watch Heat in 4K tonight ;)

9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'm watching this on Netflix. It's a damn fine movie. Balanced really well. Deniro and Pacino in top form. Touching. Moving. Violent. I even like the pacing. Beautiful, too. Really underrated among all films, not just the crime genre. Almost epic in scope, operatic. Great tragedy, too.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Tokyo Ghost, budwhite and Encuentro like this.
  10. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

I never owned this movie on home video, but did see it theatrically, and then rented it about 5 years ago. Both versions of the Blu-ray are very cheap now; both under $8. I remember being hesitant to get the Director's Definitive Edition because of complaints about the cropping and color, but hey, it's Mann's definitive edition.
    I'm particularly interested in this film again because of The Irishman, which will be released on Netflix next year. Scorsese movie with De Niro, Pacino and Pesci. Filming finished in March, but there will be a long post production for visual effects that will be needed to make the stars look younger by some 30 years in a bunch of flashback scenes. Based on the book I Heard You Paint Houses about hitman Frank Sheeran, the mob, the Teamsters and Jimmy Hoffa.

11. Somewhat Damaged

Somewhat Damaged Forum Resident

Michael Mann (a bit like William Friedkin) has no sense of humour. Some movies benefit from being humourless (Manhunter does not need humour) but others suffer. A little more wit and a hint of humour would make Mann's films much more appealing and less icy cold.

12. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I'm no fan of Mann, but Heat is well within my 20 favorite movies all-time.

The content area on a 60" 16:9 for a Scope aspect film is tiny. Sitting under 5 feet away just isn't gonna cut it. Make your way to WPa and I'll throw the 1080P Blu up on 106X45. You'll have streaming amnesia real quick.

(For the record, I do stream some Netflix shows.)

13. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Is this out on 4K UHD disc yet? This is my favorite movie and if it is on 4K I must own it. Right now all I've got is the Special Edition DVD, original Blu-ray release (I think from 2009?), and the Definitive Director's Edition (which surprised me because it doesn't even have the full theatrical cut of the film like my DVD does).

14. Time Is On My Side

I watch either on my desktop PC which has a Samsung 24" 1080P LED monitor, on my Panasonic 42" 1080P plasma, or my 15" Toshiba Satellite C55 laptop. My preferred streaming service is VUDU. I see a difference between the Blu-ray disc and the HDX stream. You are also missing lossless audio with HDX. Most times I don't really notice the quality loss and to me worrying about quality loss ruins the point of the movie which is to just enjoy it. But I wouldn't say that it's hard to tell the difference. It's there, even if it is not that noticeable. VUDU is supposed to be one of the better streaming services in terms of quality. Comparing some others such as iTunes (specifically the downloads, not the streams), the quality loss is noticeable more consistently.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Nope, and not announced on UHD as of now.

Watch the 4K stream, and you’ll forget all about the Blu-ray/HDX version :)

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

17. Time Is On My Side

I still prefer the full theatrical cut on the special edition DVD. I think the sound mixing is better too. That was also a Laserdisc transfer if I'm not mistaken.

18. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

amy is decent but should've lost the accent (it really sticks out for me for some reason), diane is good in kind of a thankless role, I don't mind Ashley and know the scene youre talking about (laughter) but I think its a honest reaction (but it looks odd)
    ps this is one of those movies that you cant help but watch when you hit it channel surfing

19. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

When he tries comedy, he's terrible. Hawkeye's line in LAST OF THE MOHICANS, "We kinda face north and real subtle-like, turn left," has to be one of the all-time eye-rolling groaners in cinema history. Just so godawful it pulls you right out of the movie.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  20. Somewhat Damaged

Somewhat Damaged Forum Resident

I watched Sorcerer (1977) and To Live and Die in LA (1985) recently. Both suffer badly from having characters I didn’t engage with. I don’t have to like or dislike them but there has to be some human dimension to them for me to care if they live or die. When bad things happen to these characters I didn’t care. A little hint of humour in the dialogue would have made a big difference to my engagement with the characters and the films themselves. Killer Joe (2011), which has lots of humour, was far more interesting and enjoyable despite having arguably a much less interesting story than the other two films. NOTE: I recently watched Killer Joe as well.

I started Public Enemies on Netflix. 20 minutes in and I was bored so gave up. Again a little humour to make the characters interesting would have helped a lot.

21. Sam

Sam Senior Member

The point of that ending with Deniro dying is that he had a CHOICE to "walk away" and live. He had his papers, his plane ride, his girl all by his side. Pacino's character KNEW he was gone if he wanted to be. But the one weakness of the otherwise tough Deniro character was his desire for revenge. He just HAD to set things "right" with Wayne Grove, even at the risk of throwing it all away, which he does. He thought he could have it all, and the ending shows that that type of thinking is a serious flaw. That sit down with Pacino earlier in the movie is just classic. Not only do we get to see these two acting giants together in a movie scene for the first time, but it adds greatly to the plot of HEAT. Pacino gives him a pass. "Do you want to go back to prison?" No? Then stop taking down scores." Deniro seals his fate when he walks away from that opportunity.

22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

23. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

"heat" was/is one the best movies ever, yet got no awards, no critical acclaim, and no love.

what a wonderful wonderful movie.

zero oscar nominations, nada, zilch.

and that was the year tom hanks won best actor for the horrible 'forest gump". deniro and pacino both gave better performances.

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Nope. "Heat" was 1995 - "Gump" was 1994.

Best Actor for 1995 was Nic Cage for "Leaving Las Vegas"...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.