Where (and what) constitutes the divide between early and late era Beatles for you?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kim Olesen, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I think that in the course of the 7 years recording carreer there are about 10 differently sounding Beatles.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  2. BejittoSSJ5

BejittoSSJ5 Forum Resident

Ticket to Ride marks a new era into the mid-Beatles and is the biggest milestone for me, which extends all the way to Lady Madonna which marks the return-to-form thing they had going on after Sgt. Pepper and MMT.

Mr. Explorer and bhazen like this.
  3. Awesome Connor

Awesome Connor New Member

But on a scale of early, mid, and later:

Early- Please Please Me-Help!
    Mid- Rubber Soul- Sgt. Pepper
    Later- Magical Mystery Tour- Let it Be

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  4. Awesome Connor

I think it fits great in 3 periods

Early 1962- August 1965
    Please Please Me-Help!
    For the most part, it's just the same old Beatlemania love songs that we've been used to all this time. Although they did start changing a tiny bit in Beatles for Sale and Help!.

Mid December 1965- November 1967
    Rubber Soul-Magical Mystery Tour
    This is their experimental period. Rubber Soul marked a new era in the lyrics, Revolver marked a new era in their music, and Sgt. Pepper marked a new era in their look. The whole period is mostly psychedelic. Even Rubber Soul with the sitar.

Later February 1968-April 1970
    The White Album- Let it Be
    In these albums, The Beatles were a straight rock band. No more psychedelia here. It's all rock in The White Album, Abbey Road, and Let it Be. Do I need to mention the hippies, the fights, the beards, and Yoko?

To me, this is the definitive dividing line.

Mr. Explorer and linclink like this.
  5. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

June 14 1965 (when they recorded "Yesterday")...McCartney's ascendancy as top dog in The Beatles. IMO "Yesterday" was the turning point- as it showed how much The Beatles had matured and that the four individual members were not indispensable in the studio, a trend that would appear occasionally for the remainder of their career. Consider, for example, that John and George make instrumental contributions to only two out of five McCartney compositions on Revolver. Chances are that never would have happened before "Yesterday"- up to that point all four Beatles played on every song, or arrangements were altered to accommodate the four of them. Not so after mid-1965.

Crimson Witch and Mr. Explorer like this.
  6. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Rock music was born in 1966 with the releases of Pet Sounds and Revolver. Up until that point, it was Rock & Roll. Brian Wilson and the Beatles essentially invented a new genre.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  7. Awesome Connor

I disagree! Besides Tommorow Never Knows and maybe Love You To it could be live

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  8. Brewmeister

Brewmeister Forum Resident

The Beatles in my mind had three periods. Early, Middle, and Late.
    The Middle was from Rubber Soul through Revolver.
    Everything before that is Early, and after that Late.

9. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

The Rock 'n Soul Beatles- Please Please Me & With The Beatles
    The Merseybeat-Masters-A Hard Day's Night & Beatles For Sale
    The Pop-adventurers-Help, Rubber Soul
    The Psychedelics-Revolver, Peppers, Magical Mystery Tour
    The Rock Band-White Album, Let it Be, Abbey Road.

Mr. Explorer, AndyK235 and linclink like this.
  10. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

MMT. Otherwise known as 62 to 66 and 67 to 70 :)

11. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

There's quite a bit psychedelic stuff on the White Album, I think...Cry Baby Cry, Glass Onion...

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  12. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

Reminds me of the original CD release schedule.

13. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Early: PPM—BFS
    Mid: Help!—Revolver
    Late: Sgt. Pepper—Let It Be

I can't really see it any other way, personally.

edmund_k, Mr. Explorer and owsley like this.
  14. owsley

owsley Senior Member

I almost agree with your groupings. Help is kind of both the end of their beat era with songs like You're Gonna Lose That Girl, Night Before and the transition into their 'advanced pop' phase with Ticket To Ride. My mid-period ends a bit later with Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane. Both songs are pop-psych and are an extension of the creative progressive pop of Revolver.

Sgt Pepper to me was a totally new direction and IMO radically different than Revolver because Pepper was more rock and high art than pop. Unfortunately for all the praise this lp gets, IMO it started the demise of the pop scene with the transition into serious creative art rock. Suddenly it wasn't cool anymore to produce pop. Those that stuck with it like the Kinks produced magnificent works in the late 60's that few cared about nor purchased, which is a shame. I wish Pepper never happened and the Beatles mid-period of mind blowing progressive Revolver-esque pop could have lasted another few years.

Mr. Explorer, ajsmith and maui jim like this.
  15. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

They could have done those, too, with something like a customized mellotron.

16. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

First era is up to Help! Rubber soul initiates the second. And it is a smooth, exceptional transition.

The lyrics have progressively changed. Introspection, concern for relationship matters and social themes are now fully present. They had shown hints very early with There's a place and more prominently in the Help! album. How talented is this group of young guys that they did that maintaining musical quality and even improving it?

Sonically there is also a big change, distorted guitars and assorted new instruments. Production and arrangenents also go along with the change of course.

17. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

1965's Help! OST is the beginning of The Beatles psychedelia and the end of the Mop Top era.

18. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Beatles for Sale and Help!

19. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

October 12 1965 at 2:19 A.M.

20. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

"Ticket To Ride" is a good year, year-and-a-half ahead of its time; the raga-droning A string, the "Tomorrow Never Knows" drum part, etc. ... good catch.

Mr. Explorer and owsley like this.
  21. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Something happened between those MMT sessions and working on the WA. Listen to how much fun Paul is singing on
    Baby Rich Man. There is none of that joy on the WA. They are just Session men on each other songs. The flame is flickering.

22. MelodyFair

MelodyFair West Coast Suburban Hausfrau

I prefer to think of three eras, Early: PPM-Help, Mid: Rubber Soul-Peppers, Late: The Beatles-Let it Be. If I were to divide it into two, I'd go PPM-Help and Rubber Soul to Let it Be.

23. Awesome Connor

Yeah I guess so. Sgt pepper couldn't have done it though

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  24. Awesome Connor

Yeah but it has mostly rock compared to the great deal of psyechedic stuff from 1967.

Mr. Explorer, 9la and Yovra like this.
  25. owsley

owsley Senior Member

The Ticket To Ride chorus may be the most incredible magic thing they ever did. John could have easily been lazy and predictable and repeated "She's got a ticket to ride" with the same chords and melody but each of the three refrains and chord progressions start with the same chord but are totally different! F#m to D7; F#m to G; F#m to E. What a piece of freaking genius. George gets high marks too for his volume pedal guitar overdub during "ri-hi-hide". This is what separates the Fabs from everyone else.

Mr. Explorer, bhazen and Yovra like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.