T. Rex - Electric Warrior - Kevin Gray AAA Vinyl Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GentleSenator, Oct 26, 2017.

1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Meaning the new KG one has fuller mids than the Fly?

2. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Vinyl Moon does tip-on outer sleeves, here's their explanation of it:

3. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I think so. But it's the only way I can think to describe it. 'Bigger' or 'Thicker', perhaps? Somebody unthread said that the Fky has more air.

4. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I found the opposite - the Fly has a 'fatter' sound than the KG which is more neutral - the fatter mids on the original really help the guitar sound but you could argue the percussion doesn't sound natural, but that's the Electric Warrior sound I've always known on the original - the KG has a leaner mid range but overall there is more clarity and a more natural sound overall, but without losing any of the 'punch' - KG has really done a great job with this one.

skisdlimit, googlymoogly and chacha like this.
  5. chacha

Makes sense. I have the original Fly and the mids are really fat which is great for the guitar. Would like to hear the new one in comparison but can’t justify buying it with the copies I already have.

JP Christian likes this.
  6. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Weird – I'd pretty much describe exactly the opposite. The Fly sounds more neutral to me – I think the KG is 'fatter'. But maybe it's down to semantics. The Fly sounds more 'open' to me.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  7. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

8. puelche

puelche Forum Resident

I bought mine at Amoeba.com. More specific product details (with so many reissues around...) and free shipping within US.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  9. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

wait, wut?

what is t-rex's abbey road?

10. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

T.Rex's Abbey Road is the best version of that album.

11. Well my post was bizarre :tiphat: I was probably doing two things at once. I meant that picked up Slider while I was there. Senility kicks in. Can't blame this one on iPhone Typos

12. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

bummer, i was hoping to hear trex cover the abbey road album :(

Mazzy likes this.
  13. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Finally managed to pick up this KG cut version and really like it. Highly recommended.

mr.datsun likes this.
  14. warleywarrior

warleywarrior Forum Resident

My copy finally arrived but no thanks to the UK Post Office for slapping on a £12.95 custom charge!
    Mr Gray has done an amazing job..very impressed..puts the last Uk Universal pressing to shame..Flat, super quiet pressing.
    I bought my first Pecko Fly in September 1971 and along the years picked up the USA,German,Japanese,French,Spanish,Australian 1st pressings and various reissues..
    .Add the cassettes,Reel to Reel,Sacds and DVD Audio I Think I’ve Got Warrior overload..
    Whilst I’d never give up my Peckos, this pressing exceeded my expectations and would highly recommend it ..Shame it doesn’t seem to be available in Europe...the insane postal charges may put some people off...Bang A Gong !

15. chacha

I’m assuming I don’t need this since I have Pecko Fly in great shape as well as a first US?

16. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if Thread Starter

i greatly prefer this new release to my old US Reprise copies, and way more than the reissues from the last 15 years.

googlymoogly and warleywarrior like this.
  17. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Man, this KG version is sublime! I'm not sure how it could be topped.

No longer do I pine for a mint UK Fly.

I am set!

skisdlimit and warleywarrior like this.
  18. warleywarrior

warleywarrior Forum Resident

For $23 it’s a steal..It’s better than the first Reprise..Rex Remaster s rarely get a Gold Star on this forum..Grab one..you won’t be disappointed..My Peckos hold great sentimental value to me..Life certainly was a Gas for Rex Friends in 1971..

19. Need is a subjective word.

e.s., chacha and GentleSenator like this.
  20. chacha

Do you like it better than the Pecko Fly?

21. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

I'm a printer and the term Tip-On referring to record sleeves has always bothered me. This (above) is the correct description of Tip-On. It's Fugitive Glue (Also known as Gorilla Snot!) It's used to temporarily hold a
    credit card to a letter for mailing for example.
    Chipboard is really cheap cardboard so back in the old days they would "paste" or glue a thinner quality paper onto it for graphics reproduction. Nowadays they make high quality board
    stocks of many different types and finishes including extremely hi-gloss or matte/dull. So it's basically unnecessary unless you simply wanted to re-create the appearance of an old style
    sleeve (such as the Beatles Mono Box CD sleeves). Another term that bothers me is when they call a hi-glossy cover "Laminated". Most if not all of the "laminated covers I've ever seen are UV coated (a high glossy or matte coating) True Lamination
    is a thin Plastic sheet glued on for long term protection such as "old school drivers licenses used to have before they started making them entirely out of plastic. IMHO of course. Sorry to go off subject. End of rant.

bob60, googlymoogly and Dok like this.
  22. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Happy to hear from someone who knows this stuff – as it so often is a bit of a mystery.

With regards 'Tip-on'. I like that, and I'd like to know if there is a correct term for that style of manufacture?

Also agree about the term laminate as is mis-used today. I understand the term laminate when applied to a drivers licence, for example. But - am I right in thinking that the original 'laminated' LP sleeves made by applying a coat of a some kind of varnish? It strikes me as different to the plastic sheet used as you describe.

23. stingraex2000

Don't mean to go off subject so if anyone wants this deleted please feel free.
    Well lamination is a thin "plastic type of material" usually clear and adhesive backed that is glued flat onto paper for heavy duty protection as well as adding a more pronounced appearance and touch.
    So you wouldn't be able to tear it, the paper underneath would tear the "plastic" glued onto it would stretch.
    I've never seen a record sleeve with what printing terminology refers to as laminating but not sure if they exist. I always assumed it was a misuse of the terminology and refers to what is actually just a heavy coating
    that goes on wet on top of the ink and dries to various textures (Ex: Gloss UV, Matte UV, Varnish, Soft Touch Aqueous etc...) I could be wrong I don't really collect old vinyl records. If anybody knows for sure please chime in.

googlymoogly and mr.datsun like this.
  24. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Some people call those 'tip-on' covers 'Stoughton' style. What that refers to I do not know.

The laminate on old LP covers starts to lift off with age. The laminate cracks and tears and eventually can even be completely removed leaving the print intact underneath. That's why I think it is a varnish surface.

25. stingraex2000

That sounds like actual Laminate. I guess they did used to laminate covers (I've just never seen one myself) It's a very expensive process these days which is why they have developed so many coating alternatives.
    Makes sense as over a long period of time the "plastic" would dry out and the adhesive would deteriorate. Back when those old LP covers were made they probably never thought people would still be using them 50+ years later.

mr.datsun likes this.