Elton John Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Feb 15, 2017.

1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Curious if the new Tumbleweed would sound bit more open and less compressed than my UK DJM?

2. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Mine was pretty good. Sleeve was split at the seam, but not returning over that. It's a weird album, they changed the running order from the actual shows and compared to the full DVD it feels sparse. But again, it captures Elton at what I consider the end of him still sounding vocally decent in concert. Once you hit 2002/2003 his vocals started getting rough and shouty. And this band rocked - you had John Jorgenson back and it was a LARGE band - the sound was really full.

I recommend a few cleanings with these albums, then a few playings. My copy of Tumbleweed had some pops on Side 1 that a few cleanings and playings resolved.

3. come over a listen. :tiphat:

chacha likes this.
  4. chacha

I'll bring the yams.

Mazzy likes this.
  5. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

But then, Elton's a record collector.

chacha and Mazzy like this.
  6. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

And a savant about music knowledge. Like, encyclopedic. It's pretty remarkable the obscure stuff he knows.

chacha and e.s. like this.
  7. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

He and Elvis Costello are kindred spirits in that regard.

GetHappy!!, JamesRR and e.s. like this.
  8. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

finally grabbed a copy of Madman and let me say that this is a really nice package and pressing.

let me also say that the sound pales in comparison to my DJM copies. the drums are somehow...lifeless.

9. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

That's the first I've read of this.
    I was going to pull the trigger. But now... uh-oh.

10. Well if you have a pristine UK then you can probably skip but the Madman reissue sounds amazing. It's beautiful. You really should listen to it yourself.

Never understand when one person's comment stops another from checking something out for themselves. Most of this posts here praise the series with a couple of exceptions and a couple of pressing glitches (not many), so you should read all the comments and then make a decision. My really you should listen.

e.s., GentleSenator and HiFi Guy 008 like this.
  11. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the S/T and Madman earlier today. Now I have a mixture of original US and reissues for everything up through and including Blue Moooves (which looks clean, but is a little noisy -so from what I read here, apparently they replicated the original pretty well). With my nice original copies of GH 1 & 2, this concludes my Elton John collection.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  12. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

I’m sure someone said it and I just overlooked it, but are they going to release another GYBR as part of this or just sticking with the 2014 reissue?

13. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

exactly why i gave it a spin myself.

hey at least it doesn't sound as awful as some of the old UNI/MCA reissues.

14. ego1jr

ego1jr Forum Resident

At this point there are no further EJ vinyl reissues scheduled for release.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  15. How is Blue Moooves?

16. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I think "pales in comparison" is pretty harsh. Sounded pretty close to my DJM on my system. I have DJMs of most of the '70s albums, but based off my experience with Elton John and Madman, I wound up buying all of them. They sound pretty great to me.

Mazzy likes this.
  17. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I could really use a good pressing of Elton John. A good digital version too.
    Have yet to hear one.

18. chacha

Does the new reissue of the Elton John album sound like the original UK with the big bass? My UK is a later pressing which is less hefty than the original. I’d be interested in maybe picking one up if it’s similar.

19. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Madman has been the one I've played the most often since originally getting these, so I'd have to go back to Elton John, but as I remember, it was pretty similar to the my DJM.

20. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I've heard this about the bass before. I must say, I don't understand why this stuff changes or is deliberately made to change with subsequent pressings that supposedly use the same mix and master.

21. ego1jr

ego1jr Forum Resident

If you're looking for a great sounding, bass heavy version of Elton's S/T album, you should look out for the Classic Reissues release from 2011. It's a great pressing.

22. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

S/T? Sorry can you eleborate. I am trying to link it to my album list I have. I get the GH etc.

23. paolo

paolo Senior Member

S/T = Self Titled, ie the 1970 Elton John album.

Ben Adams likes this.
  24. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I doubt it'll get much mooovement.

GentleSenator likes this.
  25. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Thanks. I would never have got that. I’ve only just started getting into his albums in the last few months. I picked up a nice copy of the original Blue Moves a couple of days ago for a bargain price of £2.00. Well it seemed like a bargain but I haven't listened to it yet, so I might be disappointed or surprised. Not sure what the consensus is on this forum. Regarding reissues, I can never work out if it is worth going down this route - are they better than the originals? And the few originals Ive picked up, they are nice and clean and I haven’t spent more than £10 which was for GYBR.

paolo likes this.