Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Groovy, Mar 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Saw it night before last. Great performances, as always, by Francis McDormond, John Hawke and yes - Woody Harrelson. I wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone, but suffice to say, it is not a cliche'd plot. I really didn't recognize Sam Rockwell, and his character's mother is terrifying.

2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Review in Today's paper: 'One of the year's best movies'.

3. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I saw this last night and without hesitation I'm calling it one of the best films I saw this year.
    Easily in the Top 5 or higher.

Francis McDormand deserves an Oscar nomination for sure for her performance; it was really something. The whole cast was terrific. It was better than I thought it might be and I went in with high expectations.

****/5

[​IMG]

An excellent film!

alexpop, Stormrider77 and ex_mixer like this.
  4. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

5. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Some of both?

6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Her actions are understandable, but not necessarily justifiable.

Stormrider77, arley and dadonred like this.
  7. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

I went to see it yesterday with my wife and my son, and we all agreed that it was an excellent movie. With McDormand's character you are sympathetic, but there are points where you're also repulsed by her behavior. She's not a saint suffering her way to heaven, but she's not a terrible person either. Woody Harrelson is very good in this, and I'm not a big WH fan. Sam Rockwell is fantastic in it, but I can't say too much about him without revealing spoilers.

8. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

Enjoyed this a great deal. Rockwell character is great! Oscar nomination for McDormand is a certainty.

PHILLYQ likes this.
  9. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

Such an excellent, highly entertaining film. It's easily on par with the best of the Coen Bros' work, balancing dark humor, surprisingly deep emotion, and ample social commentary. I sure hope this gets the attention it deserves.

"...Penelope said begets?" :laugh::laugh::laugh:

snowman872, ronbow, Cheepnik and 5 others like this.
  10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Wow. It is so great to see a movie that is aimed at people over 30 who want to see something intelligent and follow a story that you didn't see telegraphed 30 minutes in.
    I found it more restrained than Bruges and 17, but it is much more emotionally fulfilling than either.

"except for that one year they held you back.":laugh:

11. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

It was good. But a day after, I thought some of the storyline was too incredulous. The turn in character capability and decision-making seemed too much too soon, just made it a little less believable, relatable. I also feel the lead character got too much time while the ex seemed too random. But I guess that's life in a small town. I wish the new Sheriff would have had a more interesting role. In retrospect, it seemed like a short movie. I guess it is going to be a major movie, though.

JakeMcD and mrjinks like this.
  12. dadonred

Best line!

13. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

Went with my wife this weekend; she's not much for violence, crude language, etc. I turned to her when it was over and was surprised to hear her say she liked it. A must see, if just for the performances alone. Not a dull moment, the two hours flew by. It's refreshing to see a film like this. It pulled at me the way No Country For Old Men did (strong undercurrents) ... but not as violent.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Interestingly, the theater we were in was the smallest of the rooms in the multiplex and it was around 2/3 full. The big rooms had the blockbusters. No one in the room under 35 that I could see.

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

O' man I have to own this F'n movie! LOL

16. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Portrayed by Sandy Martin, who most people will probably recognize as Napoleon Dynamite's grandmother.

17. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

Excellent film.

18. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Another thumbs up from me. The movie is very entertaining and sports excellent performances from the entire cast. My first McDonagh film, btw.

What did you guys think was the point of the ending?
    McDormand and Rockwell are traveling to see a man they both know, yet each is unaware the other already knows this particular guy. And at different points each has thought the man may have raped and killed McDormand’s daughter — and so has the audience.

19. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The point to us was that neither was convinced that the guy was guilty or not, the point was that they were leaving together, when at the start of the movie they were so far apart. "Hey f***head!"

Monosterio likes this.
  20. Monosterio

dadonred likes this.
  21. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

This is the closest to my reaction here. The scene where Frances is on the 2nd story, across from the police station, was ridiculously implausible to me. Really took me out of the movie. A few other points as well...

Scotian and dadonred like this.
  22. dadonred

I took it as three things going on: First, each had decided that they were going to take the guy out because he seemed so scummy and it would somehow absolve their thirst for revenge -someone HAD to pay for what her daughter had suffered, and this guy would do. Second, they knew this wasn't really moral equivalency and therefore justified, but they were going to keep going until something changed in their mind or prevented them from accomplishing the task. There was much to "avenge " in their lives and this would be cathartic if allowed to happen - they had to keep pursuing it. Third, maybe they were each glad to have someone in their lives at the moment as they both had realized how isolated they had become. He, because of his mother relationship, the realization of how he'd wronged the ad man, the loss of his beloved sheriff and his job. She, her daughter, increasingly estranged son, marriage, and money. To have an accomplice to help with what they had to accomplish was going to be very welcomed. Personally, I wish it had not left the ending here and would have continued to a Tarantino-like resolution. (I think I just realized that the ending was to give the audience a taste of unrequited revenge -we wanted something to happen, something had to occur to make it right, but we also were left open-ended, unresolved.)

23. 4xoddic

4xoddic Forum Resident

Haven't seen the 3 billboards, but as a Kansan (did live in Arnold, MO, 1981-85); I'm familiar with small town justice. When I saw 3 billboards hype on TV, I immediately thought of this:

3 decades on, who killed Skidmore town bully still secret

Ken Rex McElroy, 47, was a big, burly man with bushy sideburns, cold eyes and an ever-present gun. He was the Skidmore bully. On July 10, 1981, on a hot summer morning in a fed-up town, he was shot to death in plain view of 30 to 40 people who gathered around his Chevrolet pickup outside a beer joint on Main Street.

Killed instantly by rifle bullets, his foot pushed the accelerator to the floor. The engine roared. Like something in literature, no one shut it off. They just walked away.

Except for McElroy’s wife, nobody told who did it. Investigators and grand juries heard the same thing time and time again: “I heard shooting and got down. Didn’t see a thing.”

2017 in Kansas =>
    ‘You can’t rape a whore’ — survivor endured hate to pursue justice in Kansas sex crimes ‘You can’t rape a whore’ — survivor endured hate to pursue justice in Kansas sex crimes

HOLTON, Kan. – A 22-year-old man whose case divided his small northeast Kansas town was sentenced Friday to more than 27 years in prison and ordered to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life for raping two of the women who alleged he had assaulted them.

Jacob Ewing of Holton was also ordered to pay more than $100,000 in restitution, The Topeka Capital-Journal reported .

Ewing was convicted in June of raping and sodomizing one woman in 2016 and raping and committing two counts of aggravated criminal sodomy against another woman in 2014. He was also convicted of battery, possession of drug paraphernalia and charges related to furnishing alcohol to minors.

He was acquitted in April of sexually assaulting a 13-year-old girl. He still faces trial in October on charges that include attempted rape and in November on 10 felony counts of sexual exploitation of a child. District Judge Norbert Marek ruled earlier that a jury should decide if Ewing knowingly viewed the sexually explicit images of a 17-year-old girl.

And his grandmother says . . . .

Now he faces about 35 years in prison. Family members declined to comment to media.

The accusations against Ewing, his trials, an acquittal and conviction bitterly divided opinions in Holton, a town of about 3,000 north of Topeka, where some people supported him and others believed his accusers.

Attorneys had a hard time finding jurors for his trials because so many prospective candidates said they knew him or his family, or considered themselves friends of his.

“It’s put such a stain on our community,” Ewing’s grandmother, Julie Hawthorne, told The Kansas City Star in June.

Holton, she said, “is quaint. The people are so nice. Then you’ve got this. The news portrays anybody who supports Jacob or us as being these hicks. ... We’re not these backward people.”

Convicted Kansas rapist Jacob Ewing sentenced to seven more years for sex crimes

24. Monosterio

I guess we’re all free to finish the story as we wish. I hope McDonagh adds a couple of alternate endings to the Blu-ray:
    one with the mission aborted and the couple getting drunk and hooking up, the other with what happens when McDormand gets a gander at the guy they’re after.

dadonred likes this.
  25. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Finally got to see it this afternoon....
    :righton::righton::righton::righton::righton:

The Panda likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.