Greta Van Fleet...Anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree of Life, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Holy crap. That's crazy. Matt Drudge is either a fan or they paid for that placement.

Either way, cool to see.

2. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Wow . . . just awful!! Ha ha, have at it!

FrixFrixFrix likes this.
  3. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

[​IMG]
    GRETNA VAN FLEET . . . center, was the 2016 recipient of the Frankenmuth Women’s Club’s Edelweiss Award for her volunteer work for the community and the club. Above, Edelweiss Award organizers Ruth Wallace, left, and Marilyn Banes, present the honors to Van Fleet. The club also makes a $500 donation to the cause of the recipient’s choice and Van Fleet chose the Frankenmuth Farmer’s Market. (News photo)
    Frankenmuth News

"Gretna Van Fleet is an 80-something dulcimer player in tiny Frankenmuth, Mich., who had, at least until recently, avoided national attention. In the early 2010s, local brothers Josh, Sam, and Jake Kiszka, who formed the core of a four-piece rock band about to play its first big show, decided to name the group after Van Fleet, though they did not know her. They converted “Gretna” to “Greta” because it flowed better. And though they weren’t thinking about it at the time, the change will also help in sidestepping any copyright issues that might have presented themselves as the band gets bigger."
    Greta Van Fleet is big, and heavy, and for real

Wow, just awesome, have at it!/K

4. artfromtex

:righton:

5. barking spider

barking spider Forum Resident

When 16 year old kids cover the music of their grandparents there is no hope for rock 'n roll. Then we are lost.

Boswell likes this.
  6. I Have Been Floated

I Have Been Floated Duke of Kirkcaldy

Kind of like when bands in the 60's (Cream, Zep and so on) covered the old blues guys then?

PDK likes this.
  7. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

Can people just be like "Hey good luck"?

8. barking spider

At least they added something

9. I Have Been Floated

I Have Been Floated Duke of Kirkcaldy

Over time, sure. These guys are kids- give them an opportunity to develop their career. Many young kids are moving away from rock music. These guys have a chance to connect with a younger audience and possibly help usher in another era of great bands.

Steel Horse and FLEMKE like this.
  10. barking spider

You are right. I didn't mean to bring them down. Just wishing for some steps foreward in rock music.

Boswell likes this.
  11. Further

Further Forum Resident

Who cares where they got what from? It's how they build on it from here that counts. I wouldn't over-analyze at this point - either you like it or you don't and I like it. If nothing else, they have a kick-ass sound with good riffs and a great groove. I've been spinning From The Fires all week and this stuff is really growing on me. Good for a fun blast of rock when you want it.

I listened to a recent interview with them on the Let There Be Talk podcast and they don't sound like they're putting this on at all - they grew up in a musical household and fed a steady diet of their parents records growing up and it's music that makes sense to them and they connect with. It's hard not to be heavily influenced by the music you love. In fact, they have a lot of similar opinions about the state of popular music today that a lot of us here do. If they can turn the tides a bit of what is in the charts currently and turn some of the masses on to better music in the process, more power to them.

12. artfromtex

Yes indeed.

And those records include the original guys like Howlin' Wolf and Little Walter, etc. The same stuff that influenced Zep. That is why I think they hit so close to the mark. They know and love the source material as opposed to those who are trying to mimic old Zep records.

ian christopher likes this.
  13. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Yeah, that'll make for interesting conversation...

14. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

Just seems like a lot of negative waves man!
    I like what they are doing. I hope they can make some cool sounds.

tim

RandelPink and johnny q like this.
  15. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

I don’t follow many conservative talkshow hosts.

16. artfromtex

17. artfromtex

Looking at their calendar, I noticed that between April 5th and June 1st they only have 2 shows scheduled. I wonder if they are hitting the studio?

18. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

I was at Amoeba records in Hollywood today and they were playing a couple of their songs in the store. I was definitely struck by how Zepplin-y they are, my first thought was 'Is this some unreleased Zeppelin or something from some secret vault?" Shazamed it and discovered these guys. Great band. Some of their stuff reminds me of Heart too. The singer sometimes sounds like Cedric Bixler-Zavala.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    ian christopher and artfromtex like this.
  19. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Three brothers.....a combustible situation (although Kings Of Leon have been able to make
    a go of it). Time will tell if they have Zeppelin-like genius and resolve in them. In any event,
    they are all over hard-rock radio here, which is rare for a band that has yet to issue a full-
    length CD. Wonder if they have played a gig in Canada?

20. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

Just discovered them. Incredible.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  21. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Inexplicable name.

When I heard “Greta Van Fleet”, I first thought of a solo female musician.

Perhaps that’s the band’s intention, to defy expectations. It may be humorous and effective, but there’s been many bands which made a similar, ultimately fatal decision.

22. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Copycat = boring

23. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

24. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

25. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Led Zeppelin? No.

Kingdom Come? Maybe.

Band name is holding them back.