"The Leftovers" (HBO series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Who's complaining in here?

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  2. JD Aldie

JD Aldie Forum Resident

...huh?

There are several mutually-exclusive endings that a reasonable person could expect, but they can't all happen. I personally loved the series.

3. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

What was that Paul Rodgers tune playing at the wedding?

4. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

I heard a fairly obscure Robin Trower song (here), which is a bit strange to be on a wedding play list. Is that what you heard?

5. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

GodShifter likes this.
  6. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

That answer seems to make more sense than what we were actually presented in the show. Kevin did live through jumping in a lake strapped to a cinder block, taking poison, getting shot, and drowning twice. The only thing that really makes sense at the end is that those were not supernatural events. However, the show worked pretty hard to make you think otherwise at the time.

GentleSenator likes this.
  7. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Gosh, you are right. Listening to the song on YouTube, that is clearly James Dewar singing. Thanks!

8. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

I waited until all the shows were broadcast and then watched the season over a few evenings. Interesting to then go back to the forum and read some of the "then real-time" observations.

I had no expectation for an all conclusive ending -- going back to season 1 and then the final episode, "Let the Mystery" was the perfect opening track that set the tone for the entire three season run. I thought the 8 episode closing run was well done, enough closure that left me as a viewer satisfied but did not contradict what I took as the theme of the show -- in the face of unexplained tragedy, we're all going to take different paths. Some will find what we need to keep going. With Nora as the example, I really can't say she did go to the other side, but believing or seeing that the 2% lived on and created a life after their own tragedy gave her the insight she needed to continue on.

I did not expect an explosive ending, or apocalypse -- it was the personal, inconclusive ending I expected. Incredible performance from Carrie Coon, I'm going to have to avoid Fargo for a bit just to let that Nora character fade away a bit before seeing her in a different role.

Scotian likes this.
  9. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

It's a bit of a head snapper for sure, but she was great in Fargo.

Canadacrowe likes this.
  10. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

So after setting the series aside for quite a few months, I picked it back up recently and gave it another go. Happy that I didn't give up on it. Episode 6 of season 1 is the one that hooked me, the episode that focused on Nora, hope, and question 121. Up until that episode nothing about the series had really grabbed onto me. Looking now like this could turn into something really good.

agentalbert and Paulwalrus like this.
  11. Splungeworthy

I'm sure you're aware that you are in for a ride. Some of these episodes will leave you dumbfounded, others wondering why you continued. Stick with it-when you get to the end come back and tell us what you thought. In this era of "peak" TV this should be near the top.

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Watched The Walking Dead after watching Fargo Series 3. And saying what is this crap (TWD).

13. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

TWD really is quite bad. Earlier seasons at least had some compelling characters, but there have been zero for quite a few seasons now. Leftovers looks to have some great potential

alexpop likes this.
  14. alexpop

Unfortunately I'll watch something inferior if I've got nothing better to watch.

15. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

Oh, that's the episode that hooked me too :)

Brilliant show imo.

RadioClash likes this.
  16. Splungeworthy

The Leftovers was completely ignored by the Golden Globes. I'm not sure how it's possible but I actually respect them even less now.

agentalbert and Paul Mazz like this.
  17. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

18. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

Wow what a great ending to season 1, really well done.

19. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

seriously, it must be something political. the show was one of the best and critics agreed. how it keeps getting snubbed is a mystery.

20. I think this allowed Lindelof to get rid of the "Lost" monkey on his back.

21. alexpop

Still rate Lost highly myself.

vince, SammyJoe, Lonson and 1 other person like this.
  22. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

No season 3 Blu-ray yet? I looked around but only see imports.

23. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I have one, going to watch it soon (watched on broadcast). So it's out there, got mine from amazon.

24. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Gotta say after watching "Crazy Whitefella Thinking" yet again, I find Kevin Garvey Sr. (Scott Glenn) endlessly amusing and entertaining the way he throws out expletives particularly to strangers. Second in line would be Matt Jamison. However, every character is so very well written that they fit into the puzzle so perfectly. This series is just so interesting and rewarding to this viewer.

agentalbert and Scotian like this.
  25. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.