Giles Martin: Update the Beatles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Guy Gadbois, May 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

As long as the original mixes are still available.....I say remix the entire catalog. I love my Beatles mono box and USB 24/44 alums. I also think the new Sgt. Pepper is fantastic. The only qualm I have had with a recent Beatles product is the Eight Days a Week release. I get keeping true to the 1977 release. However, a deluxe set with all the complete concerts would have been great. If I were Apple, I would eventually drop the "Eight Days a week" thing and go with original Hollywood Bowl album artwork-title, etc

The Ole' Rocker and Sean Murdock like this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I don't listen to mono recordings on headphones ( not if i can help it).
    S T E R E O all the way with cans.

Michael likes this.
  3. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

The White Album is not great to listen to on headphones IMO. It has that annoying stereo panning on quite a few songs. Happiness Is A Warm Gun is a good example. It has John’s vocals in the right channel. There are a few songs where vocals and drums are in separate channels. It’s not an issue if you are listening on speakers. A remix would be perfect for headphone listeners like me as I do all my listening on headphones.

4. alexpop

Love ❤️ the Stereo on Headphones

Michael and bherbert like this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

me too...can only imagine what could happen.: )

6. Michael

and without of course. ; )

alexpop likes this.
  7. alexpop

Only get worse.
    I have no complaints with original.

8. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Giles, I would like you to remix A Hard Day’s Night, Help, RS, Revolver, TWA, MMT and Abbey Road. Thanks :) PS. I want mono in stereo again and I wanna hear those raw multi tracks like on your Sgt Pepper remix.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  9. alexpop

No prefer mono. :)

10. Michael

gotcha...

11. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Faulty premise, that changing the Beatles' music would be the way to extend their popularity to a new generation of fans.

12. alexpop

But, I've played Stereo as well.
    Just prefer getting lost listening in music with stereo with headphones on.

DRM and Michael like this.
  13. Michael

I see...I play both as well but, prefer the stereo...

alexpop likes this.
  14. alexpop

W I D E

DRM likes this.
  15. Michael

LOL...yea right, like that's going to really make a difference...Giles ego needs to be kept in check...and leave the legacy alone.

DRM likes this.
  16. Michael

LOL...I'm a marked man!

alexpop likes this.
  17. alexpop

Careful with the volume knob Eugene.:)

18. alexpop

S-U-R-E are. :)

19. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Do new generations need bands updating to make them more relevant or hip? I am 36 and never needed any updating to explore and enjoy older music. In fact quite the opposite. I seek out original music over remastered, remixed or deluxe and I don't see any reason why The Beatles would sound better being remixed. Leave them alone and work harder on marketing and easy access.

Somerset Scholar and DRM like this.
  20. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Yes. The Beatles are going in the wrong direction by blocking audio on YouTube. I guess Apple thinks that will force someone to buy the music rather than watch and listen to, say, the great "Rain" video shot outdoors. Sadly mistaken.

Shak Cohen and Somerset Scholar like this.
  21. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

And Ted Turner was merely changing the color, not re-editing or Lucasizing. If you change the mix, you ARE changing the artistic intent. For better or worse is then in the eyes and ears of the viewer and listener.

DRM likes this.
  22. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Changing the color in a classic black and white movie is very much like a remix. Because the original black and white movie was shot utilizing shadows, light, and was all centered around the contrast that black and white provided. If color was available back then, maybe the original filmmakers would have utilized color in a whole different way than the "colorizers" of the 21st Century choose to utilize color.

23. PhilipB

PhilipB Forum Resident

Colorising a film is in no way the same as remixing an album in this way. As I say, that would be more like adding EDM over the top or something just as outlandish.

24. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I listened to both the 1987 CD of Sgt Pepper (available world-wide for about a $1 used) and the 2107 remix last night. Both were highly enjoyable experiences. And I am 55 years old!

Oh have you heard? On January 1st, 2027 all of the original stereo versions of Sgt. Pepper will disappear with a huge puff of smoke!

25. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Although the 2009 With The Beatles stereo cd is a great tool to see if both channels of your stereo are correctly working;).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.