New Ringo Starr vinyl reissues (2016, 2017 ... 2018?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Sep 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

My life will not be complete until I own Bad Boy on Black AND Blue AND Champagne Gold vinyl.

The sad thing is you probably think I'm kidding. :(

Friday music would not stoop to hyperbole! Here's what they say:

Often considered one of his hippest works since the classic “Ringo” album from 1973, “Bad Boy” would become one of the Ringo Starr’s most loved ventures and one of the finer rock recordings of 1978. Featuring the hit singles “Heart On My Sleeve” and “Lipstick Traces (On A Cigarette)”, the “Bad Boy” album was also featured in his 1978 TV special “Ringo”

Along with musicians the caliber of long time friend and producer Vini Poncia, Apple Records artist Lon Van Eaton, James Newton Howard and other rock royalty, more album tracks like “Who Needs A Heart”, “Tonight” and "Old Time Relovin’ " all became fan favorites immediately upon its 1978 release.

Mastered impeccably by Joe Reagoso at Friday Music Studios and Capitol Records in Hollywood, CA, this amazing album also gets its first time 180 Gram Audiophile Translucent Blue Vinyl release!

Pressed at R.T.I., for a limited time, this super fine Ringo Starr Lp will also be housed in a first time gatefold cover which also includes rare photos and lyrics not seen in years, plus a stellar 12 X 12 photo insert of Ringo Starr.

2. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

I'm tempted by the gold but for now I'm appropriately "black and blue" for this "hip" work. ;)

:laughup: That's awesome! Did Geoff Baker land a new PR gig?

3. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I actually quite like the Bad Boy album. Who Needs A Heart, Heart On My Sleeve, Tonight and Old Time Relovin' and that cover of Where Did Our Love Go is a fun sounding song.

joy stinson, siveld and rstamberg like this.
  4. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

will stop and smell the roses and Old Wave be reissued?

joy stinson, jmxw and rstamberg like this.
  5. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

I listened to side 1 of Bad Boy on blue vinyl tonight. Sounds great and that lp side is not as terrible as I remember. Probably his best lp side between Goodnight Vienna & Time Takes Time.

joy stinson, rstamberg and blutiga like this.
  6. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Do you think it's cut from the master tape?

7. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I think whoever wrote this is hoping anyone who has heard the original Lp has dementia by now. "Most loved venture" finest recording of '78' "hit singles" "musicians of the calibre"...:D

8. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

On the back cover it says: "Mastered by Vic Anesini at Battery Studios" "Master prepared for Vinyl by Joe Reagoso at Friday Music Studios" "Manufactured at R.T.I."

blutiga likes this.
  9. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

I picked up a copy of Bad Boy online from Soundstage Direct when they were having a sale in September. I finally cleaned it and had a chance to listen to it today.

The sleeve says it was prepared for vinyl by Joe (what a laugh) and that the master was cut by Vic Anesini. However the dead wax betrays that claim: KG@CA!!!!!!!!! Pressed at RTI and cut by Kevin Gray!

For those who bought the record, can you check the run out groove to see if you have the same on yours? I doubt there would have been two cuts of this. It sounds like a classic Kevin cut and was very happy to get the record for $23 US. A little noisier than a usual RTI pressing but I blame it on the coloured vinyl.

Honestly, Mr. Reagoso needs to keep better notes!!!

John Bliss likes this.
  10. mrjinks

joy stinson likes this.
  11. mrjinks

12. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

Likely not a new pressing. great album though.

13. vegard martinsen

vegard martinsen Forum Resident

Ringo´s Old Wave is a surprisingly good album. Among the players are Eric Clapton, John Entwistle, Doug Sahm and Joe Walsh.

I own the original German pressing, released in 1983.

14. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

"Ringo" and "Goodnight Vienna" reissues are slated for a Jan 19 2018 release.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

They should go crazy and release an Apple LP Box. It's only 4 LPs in total for Ringo, and they can throw in a bonus LP or EP to collect the various non-LP tracks found on 45's. Such a simple idea.... but they never seem to do simple things.

16. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

I'd prefer vinyl reissues of Vertical Man to Choose Love.

It's like the McCartney reissues. They reissue the easy to find albums.

17. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

A simple idea needs A Simple Love Song and A Simple Love Song is found on Ringo The 4th. Maybe we can get an Atlantic box.

joy stinson, blutiga and rstamberg like this.
  18. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Ringo did say in an interview about two years ago that work was started on an Apple years box set for his records. Not sure if it is still being worked on, on-hold or abandoned.

It would be nice to finally hear the Ringo LP session outtakes (I believe two or three titles are known to exist) although I would bet none are finished masters but I'd like to be proven wrong.

joy stinson and rstamberg like this.
  19. Arnold Grove

A box set just containing the TWO Atlantic albums would be a scary idea.

;)

20. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

This is great news! Finally, a vinyl reissue of the Beatles' last album.

joy stinson likes this.
  21. mrjinks

Ahh, but they were only Atlantic in the States. Elsewhere they were Polydor. And the Polydor set could be THREE LPs, with inclusion of the rare Scouse The Mouse soundtrack! Imagine the sales!

Who doesn’t love Children’s Christmas songs with lyrics like this?
    IT'S NOT THE BEST DAY OF THE YEAR
    FOR A DUCK OR A GOOSE OR A DEER.
    LITTLE CHICKS CAN GET KILLED,
    FATHER GEESE, I AM TOLD,
    HATES THE SIGHT OF THE SNOW
    AND THE RICH CHRISTMAS CHILL.
    That’s from the perennial Yuletide favorite (and cocaine user’s mantra) Snow Up Your Nose For Christmas.

:)

joy stinson and blutiga like this.
  22. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

Really

I always thought Ringo the 4th and bad boy were wonderful albums

joy stinson likes this.
  23. Arnold Grove

Bad Boy was Polydor. Rotogravure was the other Atlantic album in the USA that I was referring too.

To tell the truth though: If they reissued the Rotogravure LP with the super-rare magnifying glass, I would purchase it again.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  24. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

There's a 20%-off promo code available at the Collectors' Choice Music store, so I have just bought 3 new Ringo LPs (Bad Boy / I Wanna Be Santa Claus / Give More Love) for $48.74 plus $12.95 for international shipping.

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. [​IMG]

blutiga likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.