“Jim [Carrey] & Andy [Kaufman]: The Great Beyond” (Netflix documentary)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

The full title, which was too long for a thread title, is Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond - Featuring a Very Special, Contractually Obligated Mention of Tony Clifton.

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Looks interesting...

3. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

It is interesting! Just like Kaufman himself it seems to be a case of life imitating art or vice versa... I'm not that fond of Kaufman, but it's fascinating to see how Carry (like Kaufman/as Kaufman/Clifton) is stretching and breaking the boundaries of humour and character.

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

It was fascinating, and entertaining. I was surprised that my son had watched it, and he loved it ! Got me to pull out all 5 seasons of Taxi, to rewatch.

5. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

This looks interesting

6. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I really liked this movie. An interesting peek into film making, character commitment, the bizarre, fantastic, artistic Andy Kaufman and an intelligent and introspective Jim Carrey. Really well done documentary.

Denim Chicken and Scope J like this.
  7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I watched it a few days ago. Awesome documentary which served to reinforce my belief that in general thespians are the most self-absorbed, childish, and annoying humans on the planet. :p

I agree fully with the movie studio that denied them ever showing the behind the scenes footage Carrey's team was shooting of Jim Carrey "stayed in character (including Tony Clifton)" for the entire shoot, on the grounds that they were afraid it "would make people think you're an as******." Which according to Jim Carrey were the exact words they used! Ha! A one-time case of a corporation not mincing words!

I do disagree with Carrey raving about Andy Kaufman as if he were the most brilliant mind that ever lived. I personally think he was a bit of weirdo who got really lucky.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  8. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

You know, I have said before that I forgot Jim Carrey was on the screen. It was just Andy. I think Carrey was possessed.

9. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I've heard that Dennis Hopper got possessed by his characters, too. What's scary about that is that he wasn't acting like Andy Kaufman.

10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Enjoyed it!

11. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Really excellent doc. Extremely watchable, and gave me new appreciation of Carrey.

Denim Chicken likes this.
  12. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Really awesome documentary. I actually think I enjoyed it more than the actual movie, although it does gives me the urge to watch it again.

13. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

My late girlfriend and I watched Man On The Moon together once. She had never seen the movie and prior to this, only knew Andy Kaufman from Taxi.

When the movie was over, she said, "He was a wack job."

14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

"The Great Beyond" must be where Jim Carrey's career went off to...

15. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident

Trying to decide whether to watch it. Quite mixed reviews, but this review seemed to sum it up -
    "Jim & Andy is hard to recommend, or to not. How about this? If you’re a Carrey enthusiast (like me and many others), the video vault alone is worth a watch, and at points, the film might be a pinnacle of creative genius, the struggle with fame, and how performers must mediate their onscreen lives with their real ones. If your patience for Carrey ran out in 1994, or at any time since then (and it has for many), the footage may come across like a cruel prank, and the doc’s approach like an act of half-hearted mea culpa for selfish acts only coming to light as a star’s career has finally begun to simmer. All righty then."

16. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Watching now..Jim Carrey’s bushy beard is quite distracting.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  17. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I wanted to enjoy it but...just can't get over the monumental disrespect Carry showed to Forman, cast and crew (especially in the Clifton guise). As someone said, indeed, the resulting film looked like much more interesting things were happening while it was being made than anything happening on screen.

Shawn and vconsumer like this.
  18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

From what I've heard, Carrey annoyed pretty much everyone by deciding to stay in character any time he was on set, regardless of if they were shooting or not.

19. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

This is clearly documented in the Netflix film, Paul.

Myke likes this.
  20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

It should be. I'm not seeing it so i wouldn't know. It was known around the time the movie was in production.

21. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Those clips of him on Arsenio from the early 90s were pretty intense. Surprised I’ve never heard about it before.

22. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I know, right? I'm surprised his career didn't come to a screeching halt after that. It certainly would if he did that in 2017.

23. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I am a big fan of Man on the Moon, but I hated this for some reason. It felt more like it was trying to trick me into believing it was a documentary instead of actually being a documentary.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  24. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Carrey decided to embody the spirit of the subject he would be portraying on the film. Was it fair to everyone on set? Maybe, maybe not. It was an artistic choice that allowed him to give the best tribute to his hero and he succeeded. I think Kaufman would have approved.

25. Wingman

Wingman Bored of the Rings

Jim Carrey always reminds me of a kid at my school who, despite being very talented and good looking, was so desperate for attention that he'd do and say crazy things, often at very inappropriate times. Needless to say, he never attained the popularity he craved.

Ghostworld likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.