The Comeback of Travolta? "Gotti"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

This takes stones big time for him to try this. The film will be compared to so many Scorcese/Coppola epics. This will obviously rise and fall based on how good he is. I wish him luck.

Myke, CrazyCatz and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  2. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

3. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

That reminds me a lot of Goodfellas, which is could be a good thing. Hopefully it doesn't go typical Hollywood and end up being an oversimplified ripoff of The Godfather with more action sequences. This one could be good, so they better not blow it!

Dudley Morris likes this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

man I am in for this...always been a fan of John...

5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Always like it when well-known actors *really* try to lose themselves in a role to a point where the audience forgets it's them. He changed his voice, facial expressions, and even his stance. I'll have to check it out.

enro99 and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Looks like a lesser version of Goodfellas...which ain't a bad thing, considering that's one of my all-time faves. I like mafia flicks and Travolta. I'm in!

Szeppelin75 and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I've never been a big fan but he did make one movie that's one of my favorites, A Civil Action.

BNell, Beaneydave and Malina like this.
  8. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

There was already a Gotti movie starring Armand Assante. Featured a bunch of Sopranos alumni. Wasn't bad, but yeah, I'm really looking forward to this one and the new Scorcese & friends flick.

Myke likes this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

TV movie.
    No Scorcese, more bad fella.

10. Cabin_Essence

Cabin_Essence Member

Not a fan of Travolta at all, other than Pulp Fiction, but I have to say that I am intrigued.

11. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

Regardless of the result, I commend Travolta for trying this. I have respect for actors who try to "go beyond" what they are known for, much like with DeNiro when he played The Creature in Branach's "Frankenstein."
    It showcases a sense of adventure and daring that indicates their egos aren't so precious that they can't handle some questionable reviews if that happens.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  12. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

I used to be a fan of Travolita until he offered me a massage.

13. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Your loss. He's got nice soft hands.

14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Looks interesting. Been of fan of Travolta since Welcome Back, Kotter and Grease. The Grease soundtrack was the first album I ever bought in my life.

bru87tr likes this.
  15. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I thought Pulp Fiction was his comeback?

Chris DeVoe, Matthew Tate and alexpop like this.
  16. alexpop

Strange Quentin Tarantino never got him back to star in any of his films subsequently. JT wrote some of his lines in PF. Maybe ego problem from the fever guy.

17. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I never thought about the above. I made a few successful films after PF, Get Shorty, Face/Off, A Civil Action, and Primary Colors, but his career went downhill again in the 2000s.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. alexpop

I liked" From Paris With Love.

realkilroy and CrazyCatz like this.
  19. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Royale wit cheese

alexpop likes this.
  20. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I can't say that I've heard of that film. I see it's co-written by Luc Besson, so worth checking out.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  21. alexpop

Travolta does a Pulp Fiction homage.

22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

There is something about Gotti that is unappealing. Nobody liked the arrogant blankity blank. If they try and make him some Costra Nostra hero type then theyve lost the point. He was everything a Don shouldnt be ans screwed up the entire system. He isnt the Marlon Brando cool type, who was the Jesse James you were allowed to love. Nothing lovable about Gotti if your a Mafia kinda guy. It could be a very good movie if approached as "God that guy was a jackass, but Travolata portrayed the jackass spot on and told his arrogant story and how it brought the mafia down very good!" A bunch of make believe crap will not work. Tell it like it is. There aint no feeling sorry for this schmuck.

23. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

I am NOT disagreeing with you, but I know squat about the guy and I wonder if most people are the same. If so, then this might be a glossy version of Gotti, and people won't have an argument with it. Maybe I'll find a book about him before the movie comes out.

24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Maybe so. I use to be (and still kind of am) fascinated with mafia stuff. Many that will see the movie probably arent.

25. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

This movie might end up being quite interesting, but man... these trailers for mainstream movies are the most overdramatized, cliche-ridden, and turgid collection of edit pieces...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.