Donald Fagen "The Nightfly" digital recording to MFSL 45 RPM One-Step vinyl?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kyndcookie, May 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yep, done already too many times ..!

2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Dudes any way you look at it, like the artist or hate him, Stevie Ray Vaughn has been served well. But Ill be happy to buy 5 or 6 and resell them just out of spite.

Happy Thanksgiving MFSL! :evil:

Slick Willie likes this.
  3. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

:D

Francisx likes this.
  4. alx7

alx7 Forum Resident

My original order $152.05 from Amazon.ca is still listed "temporarily out of stock" (as if) . A week and a half ago I I ordered another one for $153.49 (just for kicks and giggles). Today it's listed at 174.63. Do they actually think this is going to happen? But if it does...bonus..

5. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

Best of luck with that. I am in Canada too. Phone music direct and put your order in next time when you want a 1 step album. I have my order in already for 2 botr 1 step.

The 1 step Nightfly is beyond belief soundwise.

FashionBoy likes this.
  6. alx7

alx7 Forum Resident

I got mine from MOFI in timely fashion. It will always depend on who has the best shipping cost, as we seem to pay through the nose up here.

7. alx7

alx7 Forum Resident

It's my finest sounding record in my collection:cool:

GeoffC likes this.
  8. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

Alx7,
    Just curious what shipping method you used from music direct. Your right about the high shipping cost to Canada. Too bad they won't use the USPS.

9. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

I think we should all take a deep breath... and also get some perspective! This seems, at least to me, to be the best time in history as far as vinyl is concerned. One steps, 45RPM pressings, outstanding remastering work. Oh how quickly we forget!

We flat out lucky to be getting any of these pieces of wax, and lucky companies like MoFi & AP are even around.

Dmann201, Tullman, JNTEX and 6 others like this.
  10. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Lol. I'm glad you're not a talent judge. SRV was an outstanding musician, and the fans and critics agree as well.

patient_ot, Jimijam, Tullman and 3 others like this.
  11. alx7

alx7 Forum Resident

I don't remember, as it has quite awhile (years)...most of my shopping these days is at the local record stores. From what I do remember it wasn't that bad. But the dollar hasn't been good so...MOFI only gave me only 2 shipping methods and both Fedex. $64 usd. priority. Standard was $1.50 less. For that buck fifty my box arrived 8 days after release so I was happy about that.

12. iPhone autocorrect FAIL again! The above was supposed to have read "I understand where you are coming from, though."

mpayan likes this.
  13. I like his work on Let's Dance.

14. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Frankly the original pressings sound good on these and I really only like it in occasional small doses. Mostly generic blues and hendrix covers with 80's production. Actually well recorded and played but not that exciting or original. Does not justify the continuous recycling of the catalogue. My guess is the SVR estate is generous with royalty and licensing charges.

15. Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons Well-Known Member

Folks, is MD taking orders for SRV one-step?

16. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I think should do Santana Abraxas for their next one. It's been a while - over a year - since they last did it.

17. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

2423/6000 finally arrived.
    After trying MFSL (with no luck), then thinking I had one with Bull Moose (think again), I called my local record store, and after some finagling, they were able to secure one for me through their New York distributor.
    Will pick up when I get home Tuesday.

AnalogJ likes this.
  18. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

No. The best time for vinyl was the 1970’s I would guess.

19. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I think this one step sounds great...don’t get me wrong. However, I don’t get these reviews saying it’s the best record they ever heard. There are better sounding records out there than this for sure. Here, they just made the 16/50 source sound about as good as it can get.

Would it be the best record ever if it was completely analog sourced? Maybe. It would definitely sound better. Yes, I’m happy with this but I have a good number of records that sound better. Just trying to get things into perspective and not trying to ruin anyone’s enjoyment of this.

20. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

In all fairness, we can't necessarily say it "definitely" would sound better if it had been totally analog sourced, but given the experience of many here, that would be a good likelihood. Certainly the best recordings I have ever heard have been analog, in spite of any artifacts like tape hiss that might be introduced. Direct to Disc records can sound amazing in terms of pure sonics as have discussed here or elsewhere, even though performances have the potential of being a bit stilted.

I'm still puzzled as to why Steely Dan's Royal Scam hasn't ever been given a major reissue, if not an audiophile grade one. Wouldn't THAT be potentially a great 1-Step album to do?

21. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Interesting how your take has nothing to do with how it sounds. Just numbers and theory.

Trust your ears, otherwise why the hell are we even in this hobby?

FashionBoy likes this.
  22. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

I think Royal Scam (Original CD master) is the best sounding of Steely Dan albums up until Aja.

23. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Agreed, and i really dislike the expression "best i ever..." because how do we know what they've heard?
    People say it all the time with regard to equipment too; "it's the best cartridge i've ever heard!" they exclaim.
    Maybe that is true, but they've still never actually heard anything really good! This 30 year old worn out
    Honda is the best car i ever drove! Doesn't have the same weight to it, does it? :)

Slick Willie, richbdd01 and AnalogJ like this.
  24. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

This is a fantastic sounding album. Especially the instruments. But I do have a slight criticism concerning the vocals. I find them to be be buried in the mix and not at all clear on about 3 of the tracks. Most notably Maxine, New Frontier, and I believe the title track as well. Now it may be that what was brought out in the instruments could not be done without this minor set back. Or maybe my ears are paying such attention to the new detail emerging in the instruments that I can't process it. But to cite one example, on New Frontier I would never hear the word "Brubeck" if I did not know it was there. Vocals are much clearer and upfront on the RL.

25. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I am trusting my ears. Why the aggressive tone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.