LS50 on sale, $999

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Ron Scubadiver, Nov 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident Thread Starter

There is a Black Friday special on the Kef LS50 for $999 at Kef Direct, FWIW.

Mr.Sneis and 33na3rd like this.
  2. Not just KEF Direct. They are on sale everywhere for $999, including at Amazon and Music Direct.

3. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

LS-50a coming soon? I wonder.

4. Ron Scubadiver

The LS50 sells for 800 Pounds in the UK including VAT. That's about $1050. They could easily cut the price here. It could be a matter of increased capacity or market saturation. I bet these are the best selling stand mounts in their price range.

5. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Nice Black Friday price for those speakers. I don't think I've seen them priced that low before on any other sales.

It's also kind of a reality check for me when good speakers like that cost less than the headphones I want.

BrewCrew82 and jimbutsu like this.
  6. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I just bought a pair of Focal Clears. What headphones are you looking at?

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  7. Ham Sandwich

The Focal Clear is actually at the top of my list for headphones I want, but I need to hear them first before I'd buy them. There are others as well, like Mr Speakers, HD800s and others. All are in the $1K+ category. Gotta be selective. I can't be buying too many pairs of 1K+ headphones. It's crazy that so many headphones cost that much when good speakers like the LS50 can be had for $999.

Uri Cohen likes this.
  8. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Shouldn’t this be in the ‘Marketplace - Coupons, Discounts & Sales’ section? That’s where all the other Black Friday deals are listed.

9. Ron Scubadiver

Good point, perhaps the admins could move it.

10. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I own HD800S and HD700's as well as the Clears. HD700's are on Massdrop right now for $399. If I didn't have any headphones that's what I'd get. Insanely comfortable and sound almost as good as the HD800S. At that price they're a crazy bargain.

11. Ham Sandwich

$399 for the HD700 is a nice price. The HD700 do a nice big soundstage for a headphone. Unfortunately, I don't like the treble. Too much of a peaky style of treble. I've had other headphones that have a treble peak, and eventually the peak(s) become an annoyance. I've learned that I can't do a headphone like that for long term listening. So headphones like the HD700, Grados, many Beyer's are out of contention. I'm also trying to avoid headphones that tend to the brighter side. I also need a headphone that's better than the headphones I already have.

Those requirements have pretty much pushed me into the $1K and $1.5K+ headphone territory. Which I think is a bit crazy territory for headphone pricing. And the LS50 speaker being available for $999 just reinforces that headphone prices have gotten crazy. I'm willing to spend $2K+ on a headphone amp. I'm willing to spend $1K-$2K on a DAC. I understand why good electronics can be that expensive. But I can't wrap my head around headphones costing that much or more. Headphones aren't that complicated. It's just a single small driver for each ear.

12. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

I feel a bit sick! I got mine 3 months ago at full price ($1500), but got $200 back from MusicDirect when they went on sale a month later. BUT, another $300 off!! I guess I'll pretend I've already gotten $300 worth of pleasure from them. Bummer if a greatly improved model is just around the corner.. I love these, find them amazing, so 'greatly improved' would be irresistible.

13. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

You don't need to spend that much on a dac or headphone amp. Violectric is having a 25% off Black Friday sale. I'm using a V280 and it sounds insanely good on all my cans, including the HD700. I found a Hegel dac on sale for $999 and it's outstanding as well. I also really like the $1295 Chord 2Qute dac.

I've had that Violectric for over a year and it just gets better and better. I've had two kilo-buck plus tube headphone amps in the house in the past year (for months at a time, not just a quick listen) and prefer the Violectric to either of them.

I do find the HD700 is very fussy about amplification. I tried it on a QP1R and like you said - not so good. On a better amp, yeah, it's very nice.

It will be six months before I'll be able to say if I prefer the Clears to the HD800S. I do find the Clears brighter than the HD700.

14. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I love my LS50's...

15. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Have not heard of a new model at this time....this is just a really good Black Friday deal. I've sold a few pairs already!

16. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

i am sure that is the case.

17. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

If you don't mind re-certified LS50's, you can pick up a pair for $899.99. Still with a 5 year warranty as well.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  18. Ron Scubadiver

I have a pair of hd65xx on order from Massdrop, $199. Only hitch is the extremely long delivery time, around 2 months. Sometimes their stuff is a deal, sometimes not. The Grace M9xx DAC/headphone amp was $500 on Massdrop. When Grace decided to sell it as a regular item the price was unchanged and a coaxial spdif was added. Luckily I bought my M9xx for a lot less off Blinq.

19. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

The delivery date on Massdrop for the HD700's is December 22. That, and the fact that they're only selling 150 of them tells me this is not a special production run. Which makes me wonder if this is the end of the HD700?

20. The $999 price for the LS50’s seems to be holding despite the expiration of the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale. Perhaps the new price of the LS50 will be $999 going forward?

21. It looks like the $999 price is the new price going forward. Music Direct lists it as its “now” price and does not indicate it is on sale.

https://www.musicdirect.com/Search?...SC&page=1&pagesize=24&c1=tab-products&c2=grid

My guess is that KEF has decided to reduce its US price to align it with what they charge for the rest of the world, and also to allow room for them to cut the price of the LS50 wireless, which I am guessing will happen in 2018.

22. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

LS50s are wonderful. But they are already 5 years old. It was so popular that KEF has got the return they were expecting out of this effort.
    So I wonder if there's a contender out there at the $1.3K price point and they are trying to stay on top of the market at $1K.
    I have heard from a very few that the SVS Ultra bookshelves were in the same league at $1K.
    Has anyone heard the SVS Ultra ?

Billy Budapest likes this.
  23. I have not but I certainly have heard good things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.